advertisement

Another problem for Boeing 737 Max

Time both Boeing and 'the authorities' stopped ****ing about and discontinued the 737.
"In 2013, over 5,580 Boeing 737s were operated by more than 342 airlines in 111 countries, which represented more than 25% of the worldwide fleet of large jet airliners"

"As of June 2021, there were 9,315 Boeing 737s in service"

Far more easily said than done.

Yes, the aircraft type is normally clear when booking, although it may not go into granular detail such as Max 7, 8 or 9, or NEO / CEO for Airbus. Flight Radar 24 can give more details on their schedules, usually giving the MSN although these can be subject to change depending on circumstance.
Very much depends on what site you're using. Some give such information, others don't. So there's no guarantee you'll know, unless you specifically use a booking site that does show the information, which may not be the cheapest ticket available.

They are indicative of Boeing's 'M O', as they continually ( try to) compete with Airbus.
I'm struggling to understand your loyalty to Boeing.
I have zero loyalty to them (at the moment) but cultures can be changed, suppliers can be put right or changed, individuals can be educated, single points of failure can be sorted out.

And, again, until the root cause has been found, blaming Boeing might be a little premature.

Reactions: gez
Apparently the max is aerodynamically unstable. It is fitted with bigger heavier engines than it was designed for. That has shifted the centre of gravity to the rear, making it prone to stalling. That's why the anti stalling system that caused the loss of the two aircraft was fitted.
I wouldn't want to fly on one.

This morning I saw a video on my Facebook feed criticising the 737 MAX 10. Because it's 66 inches longer than the MAX 9 Boeing are having to play games with the design to prevent tail strikes. Apparently the main undercarriage legs lengthen at rotation and as a result they been re-engineered to shorten as they retract to fit into the existing undercarriage bays.

I felt it was really a knock the MAX post. However it goes some way to show how hard Boeing is working to wring everything they can out of the 737 design and flight crew qualifications.

If 15 years ago Boeing had bitten the bullet and started with a clean sheet design they probably would have and aircraft that would be better than the Airbus 320 series. Mind you if the corporate culture we have read about was still the same we could simply be looking at other design and manufacturing issues.

I don’t know. When you look at the technical evolution every car model goes through from the day of its launch until the end of production say seven years later, it is hardly conceivable that an aircraft is perfect from day one. It can already be very good, but expecting perfection from the onset is not realistic.

Of course many backup systems and procedures help keeping the number of incidents as low as possible. I wouldn’t want to hear of all the incidents happening every day on planes around the world, I bet that Airbus etc. also experience their frightening moments, but currently the focus is on the max only.

Reactions: gez
Over 25 years experience, including 15 in the flight test department. I have personally grounded aircraft based on technical issues, and was never told to keep quiet, and cover up the issue.
I am going to get cagey to look over the plane next time i use TUI :)

This morning I saw a video on my Facebook feed criticising the 737 MAX 10. Because it's 66 inches longer than the MAX 9 Boeing are having to play games with the design to prevent tail strikes. Apparently the main undercarriage legs lengthen at rotation and as a result they been re-engineered to shorten as they retract to fit into the existing undercarriage bays.

I felt it was really a knock the MAX post. However it goes some way to show how hard Boeing is working to wring everything they can out of the 737 design and flight crew qualifications.

If 15 years ago Boeing had bitten the bullet and started with a clean sheet design they probably would have and aircraft that would be better than the Airbus 320 series. Mind you if the corporate culture we have read about was still the same we could simply be looking at other design and manufacturing issues.
Shortening mechanisms on landing gear is nothing new.

advertisement

Back