advertisement

Another "bad 'un" for Cressida?

Earliest retirement in Local Govt is 55 with 30 years service (the 85 rule) and this comes with substantial cut to benefits (approx 40% reduction in pension)...unless it is 2011 and there is an onus on the Employer to get rid to meet massive cuts to support grant from central govt. They offered early retirement with no cut to benefits at that point. Capital costs came from reserves in the case of the large City Council I work for in the NW...all praise the Airport Dividend...not much of that of late.

Surely the question isn't why do public sector workers get to retire on a pension that (hopefully) affords a reasonable quality of life - but why private sector workers are expected to squirrel away £1m plus to get the same benefits.

I don't begrudge public sector workers their pensions.

What is usually forgotten is that public sector workers make contributions into their pension scheme every month at 6.5% or higher depending on pay grade. This is deducted from their gross pay.

What is usually forgotten is that public sector workers make contributions into their pension scheme every month

Sure. Though so do private sector workers. The difference being that when it comes to retirement, excluding the 1 in 5 workers with no pension provision at all, the average pot is something like £190k - i.e. an annuity of around £10k a year.

Again, I've got no problem with public sector workers receiving a proper pension!

What is usually forgotten is that public sector workers make contributions into their pension scheme every month at 6.5% or higher depending on pay grade. This is deducted from their gross pay.
It is also worth saying, for clarity, that Civil/Public sector employees who pay a lower pension contribution will have their State Pension reduced to take account of that reduced contribution. It is called Contracted Out Pension Equivalent (COPE).

It is also worth saying, for clarity, that Civil/Public sector employees who pay a lower pension contribution will have their State Pension reduced to take account of that reduced contribution. It is called Contracted Out Pension Equivalent (COPE).

My 25 yr private sector DB pension will also be reduced on my 66th, known as "clawback" because I'll be so rich once I'm an OAP! My OAP won't be a full one because I was "contracted out" of SERPS, in spite of 50 years NI contributions.

Met police breached rights of organisers of Sarah Everard vigil, court rules
Reclaim These Streets welcome judges’ decision as a ‘a victory for women’

In a summary of the ruling, Lord Justice Warby said: “The relevant decisions of the [Met] were to make statements at meetings, in letters, and in a press statement, to the effect that the Covid-19 regulations in force at the time meant that holding the vigil would be unlawful.

“Those statements interfered with the claimants’ rights because each had a ‘chilling effect’ and made at least some causal contribution to the decision to cancel the vigil.

“None of the [force’s] decisions was in accordance with the law; the evidence showed that the [force] failed to perform its legal duty to consider whether the claimants might have a reasonable excuse for holding the gathering, or to conduct the fact-specific proportionality assessment required in order to perform that duty.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...organisers-of-sarah-everard-vigil-court-rules

Politically too - that's a huge judgement.

I’m not expecting anything of substance from Labour! This one will be down to Good Law Project and any minor party support they can get (LDs, Green, a handful of Lab backbenchers etc).

Nothing meaningful will happen beyond keeping it out of the news and clamping down on protest until we get rid of the whole rotten shower. We now have the govt and opposition that our populace voted for, all so carefully guided by Rothermere's clan who should've been hung 70 years ago, Murdoch, the Barclay bros etc. We really are doomed.

They can always go lower:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...e-services-scotland-yard-hackney-b988292.html

Broader point is that the bar for police being allowed anywhere near schools should be set very, very high. The teachers bear a lot of the blame in this instance.

According to the report, the impact on the secondary school pupil – referred to as Child Q – was “profound” and the repercussions “obvious and ongoing”. Family members described her as changing from a “happy-go-lucky girl to a timid recluse that hardly speaks”, who now self-harms and needs therapy.

The poor child. Just horrendous.

Agree that calling in the police because teachers thought they smelt cannabis was a grotesque over-reaction. Be interesting to see what action is taken against the officers. I'm not holding my breath.

advertisement

Back