advertisement

Angry of Hampshire!

Why is it essential to post photos. I'm with the OP. If you want to buy something, don't you know what it looks like and don't say it's proof he owns what he claims to be selling. How difficult is it to come by some photos on line.

So yes, I agree, it is rude not to respond.

To prove you actually own an item and aren't a scam, how difficult is it to write your name on a piece of paper and take a photo of it with the item for example?

I wouldn't send money to someone hundreds or thousands of miles away without a little evidence. And lots of people say things like "excellent used condition" and photos would say otherwise.

Honestly, I wouldn't buy from someone that thinks their time is to valuable to put the effort in to sell.

Would you 'adam and eve' it!!? It's happened again!
Inquiry about one of the bits that I'm selling; request photos - duly sent, a few questions about it, then......... NOTHING!
What a waste of my time! Somebody else inquired at the same time: said that I would get back to him if the sale fell through (which it probably has!). I did. Nothing!
Just plain RUDE!!!!

Would you 'adam and eve' it!!? It's happened again!
Inquiry about one of the bits that I'm selling; request photos - duly sent, a few questions about it, then......... NOTHING!
What a waste of my time! Somebody else inquired at the same time: said that I would get back to him if the sale fell through (which it probably has!). I did. Nothing!
Just plain RUDE!!!!

Stop whining and post photos in the first place. You want our money?..put a bit of effort into it.

Well, to put all of you 'post pictures or shut up' brigade, I've just trawled through today's classifieds and I would say, as an estimate, that no more than a third post photos of their gear.
TBH: in my case, it's because I don't know how to!
Whether photos are posted or not, the fact that so many 'potential buyers' DON'T reply after correspondence with a yay or nay confirms my premise?

Well, to put all of you 'post pictures or shut up' brigade, I've just trawled through today's classifieds and I would say, as an estimate, that no more than a third post photos of their gear.
TBH: in my case, it's because I don't know how to!
Whether photos are posted or not, the fact that so many 'potential buyers' DON'T reply after correspondence with a yay or nay confirms my premise?
Including photos isn't a cure for tyre kickers but it is a cure for repeatedly having to email photos to prospective buyers...

+1

Things I've bought here (all of them great experiences) have all started in the same way: the offer is well & clearly described [whether a bundle of broken parts, or a mint & collectable boxed-thing); a photo or three to support the description, and then good, clear, responsive comms via PM once interest is expressed.

None of this is exactly difficult, as a seller or a buyer. It's just about treating others, as you would like to be treated.

Putting photos on the initial post of a for sale ad is the same as having a shop window in the high street with all the items on show and the door unlocked (or open). Your restrictive process is the same as having a shop window with the blinds drawn (and the door locked) you get irritated by people asking to come in and look to see what you have for sale.

Which shop is going to get more customers?

Too often the deal is absolutely, 100% guaranteed, definitely going ahead, even collection arranged then ...... not.
Assume the buyer has been abducted by aliens as no reply to emails.
Now only mark "Sold" when the item has been collected and taken away.
Which reminds me I need to make it clear my Isobariks are still for sale

As a follow up to this thread, with the help of some fantastic, pfm-ers, pictures of all of my gear were added to all of my ad posts.

Despite what most of the above contributors said, do you know how much difference it made? Not just to interested parties but just general inquiries??

ABSOLUTELY NONE! And it is still true that the majority of ads don't have pictures! I can see why!

In the end, I sold my tuners to a dealer, one of the headphone amps sold BEFORE pictures were added and I got rid of my tt to the same dealer as I knew what the response would be here.

It really seems to be true that unless it's Naim, Linn, Rega and their ilk, stuff just doesn't sell!

My Meier hp amp is still in the ads, with lovely pictures, just gathering dust!

Sheesh!

Best perhaps not to start your own business then if you find selling so frustrating.

You would have a market probably 100 times larger if you advertised on Ebay.
Though that would involve a fee and presumably a new thread complaining about their costs.
Though you would sell FA. without photo's and some correspondence.

Pictures are a good idea to put in with the ad. Bit of a pain and I was always puzzled when I first started selling kit
Part of the process now which I made easier buying a 2nd hand camera from Ebay.
Naim, Linn, Rega and others favourite here of course
Photos *can* and probably do make a difference

As for being messed about by prospective buyers - I have the T shirt

Things sell here, otherwise folks wouldn't bother.

Tuners and tape decks (especially) aren't in demand so much I think because their usefulness isn't what it used to be. Kind of like selling a vintage computer that isn't worth a lot. Might not be worth the bother of asking for photos when there are others available with nice photos elsewhere.

The photos of the tape decks and tuners were added (by me) pretty late in the game, after these threads had been bumped daily for several weeks. I'm guessing people that initially saw the thread before photos weren't intrigued enough to come back.

I don't think it's fair to write off the classifieds here, but you definitely need a different attitude to handle requests for photos and info that go nowhere.

Head-fi might be worth a shot (not that I have tried it - full of wannabe guru's/reviewers, shills and tweak weirdos, that, and the huge threads, puts me right off)

As a follow up to this thread, with the help of some fantastic, pfm-ers, pictures of all of my gear were added to all of my ad posts.
Despite what most of the above contributors said, do you know how much difference it made? Not just to interested parties but just general inquiries??

ABSOLUTELY NONE!

Sheesh!

I bet you think that life is not fair.;):rolleyes:

Last edited:
Have to say I get equally annoyed by folk posting stuff for sale that I may or may not be interesting in without bothering to post pictures :p
I get more annoyed by people who don't know the difference between interesting and interested. ;)

advertisement

Back