advertisement

Angry of Hampshire!

kimmiles

pfm Member
I can not tell you how much I get p***ed off by punters saying:
'Really want to buy your (fill in missing gap). Can you send me some photos?'
Sure: no problem.
Duly send some photos, then.......nothing!!!
Not even a 'thank you'.
Not even a 'sorry: it's not quite what I wanted'
Nothing
Is it me (here come all the replies to that!) or is that just plain rude? (not to mention a waste of time!!!)

I can see both sides of the argument here. Tyre kickers are indeed a pain in the arse, but equally, it's not rocket science to post photos in the original advert. Do a bit of searching on the forum and there's a guide if you don't know how to.

I don’t use a photo hosting site so will send pictures by email to anyone interested. Not really a biggy if someone is genuinely interested. I agree that not to acknowledge receipt or at least say they are not wanting to proceed further is rude.

Setup an imgur account (takes 2 minutes).
Create an album. Upload the photos (takes as long as attaching them to one email)
Include link to album with the advert.

Sorted.

Have to say I get equally annoyed by folk posting stuff for sale that I may or may not be interesting in without bothering to post pictures :p

Worse still when they take photo's and describe as perfect and lovingly cared for, but leave the item covered in dust for the photo's. - cherished.

:rolleyes:

Not showing linked pics on a [FS] thread is a huge turn off to potential buyers imho. I find it frustrating when I can’t see an image of what’s being sold and move on somewhere else. I’ve seen ads for stuff I thought I didn’t need, with good pics and took a punt. I can’t think of an occasion when I’ve bought an item where it was pics on request by email -and I’ve bought tons of stuff on forums. I think I’ve only ever asked for the pics to be emailed on one occasion ever.

I think advert need pictures and accurate description of condition. Not one blurry photo! Also where in the country people are as its not worth replying to if someone is 300 miles away. I want to see something in the flesh if its a valuable item as some people have very optimistic descriptions of condition of item. Ebay especially where I have attempted to buy aeron office chair which is meant to be fully working in great condition and when I went to pick it up some of the mechanisms were knackered. The clearer the pictures and description the better for everyone to try to reduce wasted time and energy on all sides.

Yes, hosting some pics on imgur or similar is the solution. It sorts out the tyre-kickers and lunchtime browsers. I do this for anything with a significant value.

Whereas I empathise with Kimmiles (as I'm not very digitally attuned and waited a year or so for Photobucket to come back into the fold)), putting decent pic's on does, as suggested above, stop ramdom requests to send them, creating both useless messages and return emails. However, a big plus point with sending email pic's is that the recipient can enlarge them (if they're good enough) but when it gets to this stage, it's often an interested punter.

Posting photos is a good filter for tyre-kickers though, and I've noticed the proliferation of pic's on classifieds here over the last, say, 3 years. AoS insists you post photos; it's a trend. What annoys me, though, is, esp. on here, sellers not saying where they are. It's a pity this info isn't automatically available as it is on AoS.

Modify the photo with a watermark, some of these idiots just want a photo for their own posting.
I would not but without a photo, I have seen speakers in "good condition" where you can clearly see surrounds splitting or replaced drivers and I recently saw both a Sl-1200 and a LP12 that had been hand painted badly.

While we are at it can we ban "Interest Check" morons who don't give any indication as to what kind of price they are after, what specification it is, where the item is and whether they will ship it?

"I've got a really nice LP12, I bought it a few years ago, it's very nice, I'm thinking of upgrading, the buyer will have to collect, is there any interest here?"
Oh yeah, sure. I'l offer £2500 for that, anytime, be round tomorrow night. Inverness, you say?

While we are at it can we ban "Interest Check" morons who don't give any indication as to what kind of price they are after, what specification it is, where the item is and whether they will ship it?

The 'morons' is a tad harsh, but other than that; yes please! Interest check threads are a complete nonsense. Why fanny around? Either advertise or don't.

If you lot want an all bells and whistles shiny shiny pics and all sales outlet on here pay Tony properly for the facility.

OK, not everyone who posts an IC ad is a moron. I'll give you that. However the vast majority of them are really badly thought-out and show either no thinking whatsoever, or an unwillingness to sell the thing at all, or an admission that they paid too much for it in the past and they are now unwilling to accept that the thing is worth a good deal less than they paid.

I've posted an IC ad myself, but I like to think that mine was a useful IC ad in that it became a proper For Sale and I sold the item on here. At least my ad said "I have an XYZ, it's in this condition, it works/needs repair, I'm in this town, I'm prepared (or not) to post it if necessary, I'm thinking it's worth about £X, does this seem reasonable?" If all ICs had that kind of wording I wouldn't have any sort of beef.

advertisement

Back