advertisement

Angry of Hampshire!

Are you reading a different thread? No one is criticising the PFM sale room.

There are a load of snowflakes moaning about no pics, low res pics, dusty pics, no thank you emails, no prices, etc, etc in a side room that they think posters should make look like the John Lewis website.

I've just had a belter, not here but on Freecycle of all places, for some logs. I've explained that I have cut down some big Leylandii trees in teh garden and they are lying on the floor. They need to be sawn up into manageable sizes and taken away for firewood. In addition to the inevitable "Is there any chance that you can deliver them to XXX?" (Yeah, sure, tell you what, while I am there I'll light the fire for you and do some cleaning up) I've had "Please can you send a picture, when can I come round?" He got a rather terse reply, advising him that there would be no photography and he should come and have a look. Tosser.

If you lot want an all bells and whistles shiny shiny pics and all sales outlet on here pay Tony properly for the facility.

I think you've got this rather a*se over t*t. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the facility, and I haven't seen any criticism of it. Shiny pics are perfectly possible, as demonstrated by those who make the effort.

There are a load of snowflakes moaning about no pics, low res pics, dusty pics, no thank you emails, no prices, etc, etc in a side room that they think posters should make look like the John Lewis website.

Once again. These 'moanings' are directed at users, not the facility. You really need to pay attention to what is being said rather than shooting from the hip.

None of which are anything to do with limitations of the PFM sale room or paying TonyL for 'better' facilities-the room is fine, you can post hi-res pics, prices, FS,IC, WTD etc etc .
Tyre kicking goes with the territory unfortunately and is frustrating-there are members of this community who are time wasters to the point now, where the one holding the folding/pays a deposit trumps everyone whenever I'm selling. I had one poster message on 6 occasions that he definitely wanted an item and each time I responded with "ok great" details, etc he went quiet then a month later they messaged again-I actually though it was a bot.

Selling stuff on PFM is like making love to a beautiful woman...first you have to make sure you have a desirable item, check the bodywork and see if it is in good condition, polish it up a bit to make it shine. If she's not too shy take a couple of photographs. Then find suitable words to describe her, but don't exaggerate. Then post it up firmly and securely until you get a response!

Selling stuff on PFM is like making love to a beautiful woman...first you have to make sure you have a desirable item, check the bodywork and see if it is in good condition, polish it up a bit to make it shine. If she's not too shy take a couple of photographs. Then find suitable words to describe her, but don't exaggerate. Then post it up firmly and securely until you get a response!

Are the cars in your pic still available?

I agree if pics aren't in the listing then nothing should be expected in return when folks ask for them via PM/email. But not posting pics
I've had "Please can you send a picture, when can I come round?" He got a rather terse reply, advising him that there would be no photography and he should come and have a look. Tosser.

Wanting to know when you are available seems reasonable. Wanting to get an idea of the size and quantity of wood, and if it would be manageable to transport seems reasonable, and a picture is worth 1000 words.

For me, the convenience of having someone haul away something I don't want, for free, is worth the 2 minutes of effort involved in taking a pic with a phone and emailing it.

The lack of follow through, especially from people that want you to reserve a thing for them that you're offering for free, is the worst part for me.

Well, it seems I have people queueing up. A chap just turned up unannounced with a trailer and a chainsaw, he's taken about half of it away in one go, no aggro. He sawed it into manageable lumps, I tossed it in his trailer, it's gone.

I guess many will consider me the seller from hell then! On the rare occasions I put any of my own kit up for sale I never include pictures and always refuse to send them if PM'ed about it. I also sometimes do "interest checks".

Personally I find the anally retentive, "precious" attitude of many potential buyers a complete PITA. If you're buying something 45 years old for £70 that's seen fair use and in average condition all you need to know is that it's in working order etc or what needs doing to it if it needs some TLC. A brief verbal description should be enough IMHO.

If it's something 3 years old and worth £3k I guess that would be different:)

Many buyers have an attitude of "if it's the best one I've ever seen, and you personally guarantee it for 5 years, have polished it till you can see your face in it, have the original box, will drop the price to half the advertised figure and offer me carnal knowledge of your wife well I may consider buying it.... if you polish my shoes as well"

I was trying to sell something about 45 years old a few weeks ago for £70 and had PM's asking for full set of photos, "has it got the original box and instructions?", "how many hours use approx has it had?", "did it have the XYZ modification?".... feck off!!
They normally go for about £90, I'm selling it for £70 for a quick sale, I've checked it works, it's in average condition for its age. You insist on photos? You calling me a liar then? That's all you need to know and all I'm going to give... take it or leave it. It's £70 and 45 years old FFS, no I'm not spending an hour doing the "David Bailey" bit, transferring the photos to my PC, editing them, posting them to an image host and setting links to pfm etc!!

I also usually put things up for 2 days or so only to frustrate the types who think if they wait long enough there will be loads of "bumps" and the price will keep going down... it won't. The price I advertise something for is "my best price" and if it doesn't sell within 2 days for the asking price that's that.

Oh and while I'm at it.... whoa betide you to get a reputation of a "bad packer" so then you have to work for maybe an hour free of charge to pack the thing to survive a nuclear conflagration... (which I do!) before taking it a mile away to the post office and waiting in a long queue... all for say a NAD 3020 you only got £45 for in the first place!

Moon on a stick!!

Yes I hate buying and selling second hand kit... and rarely do it for all the above reasons....

And don't get me started on Ebay:mad::D

lol swiss tony is awesome!

Quality ranting.

I guess many will consider me the seller from hell then! On the rare occasions I put any of my own kit up for sale I never include pictures and always refuse to send them if PM'ed about it. I also sometimes do "interest checks".

Personally I find the anally retentive, "precious" attitude of many potential buyers a complete PITA. If you're buying something 45 years old for £70 that's seen fair use and in average condition all you need to know is that it's in working order etc or what needs doing to it if it needs some TLC. A brief verbal description should be enough IMHO.

If it's something 3 years old and worth £3k I guess that would be different:)

Many buyers have an attitude of "if it's the best one I've ever seen, and you personally guarantee it for 5 years, have polished it till you can see your face in it, have the original box, will drop the price to half the advertised figure and offer me carnal knowledge of your wife well I may consider buying it.... if you polish my shoes as well"

I was trying to sell something about 45 years old a few weeks ago for £70 and had PM's asking for full set of photos, "has it got the original box and instructions?", "how many hours use approx has it had?", "did it have the XYZ modification?".... feck off!!
They normally go for about £90, I'm selling it for £70 for a quick sale, I've checked it works, it's in average condition for its age. You insist on photos? You calling me a liar then? That's all you need to know and all I'm going to give... take it or leave it. It's £70 and 45 years old FFS, no I'm not spending an hour doing the "David Bailey" bit, transferring the photos to my PC, editing them, posting them to an image host and setting links to pfm etc!!

I also usually put things up for 2 days or so only to frustrate the types who think if they wait long enough there will be loads of "bumps" and the price will keep going down... it won't. The price I advertise something for is "my best price" and if it doesn't sell within 2 days for the asking price that's that.

Oh and while I'm at it.... whoa betide you to get a reputation of a "bad packer" so then you have to work for maybe an hour free of charge to pack the thing to survive a nuclear conflagration... (which I do!) before taking it a mile away to the post office and waiting in a long queue... all for say a NAD 3020 you only got £45 for in the first place!

Moon on a stick!!

Yes I hate buying and selling second hand kit... and rarely do it for all the above reasons....

And don't get me started on Ebay:mad::D

Oh and while I'm at it.... whoa betide you to get a reputation

Woe betide, Jez; it's not horses for courses !:D You do a wonderful rant. 'Also Spracht Zarathustra' came to mind when reading it. No idea why.:)

Personally, if I want to sell something, under a ton or many grand. the same effort goes into establishing a rapport by providing whatever is asked for. I do hate the packing bit, though; my loft has a goodly supply of bubble wrap and cardboard; so time-consuming and dodgy with risking my neck on the old wobbly wooden step.

I take pride in all my rapping
Its what I like to do
Lots of bubble and cardboard
To get it safely from me to you
If you don't pack it right
and the couriers take fright
a box full of bits
just gets on your...

Woe betide, Jez; it's not horses for courses !:D You do a wonderful rant. 'Also Spracht Zarathustra' came to mind when reading it. No idea why.:)

Personally, if I want to sell something, under a ton or many grand. the same effort goes into establishing a rapport by providing whatever is asked for. I do hate the packing bit, though; my loft has a goodly supply of bubble wrap and cardboard; so time-consuming and dodgy with risking my neck on the old wobbly wooden step.

A good rant's a neglected art form:D Now grammar police, that's another one......:p

I always pack very well;) My point is that you shouldn't really expect a seller to put in 2 hours plus of unpaid work (maybe. Including testing it works ok, photos, packing and trip to post office) to attract a buyer for a £50-100 object that's 45 years old anyway..... at that price and age you ask "does it work and is it par for the course?" and if "yes" then take a punt on it. No I'm not going to spend a further two hours looking for the original instructions for that £50 amp etc...take it or leave it!

I suspect many people here enjoy getting angry.

If I get a silly question, one I don't want to answer or a stupid lowball offer I just ignore it, not much benefit in getting annoyed about it.

Why is it essential to post photos. I'm with the OP. If you want to buy something, don't you know what it looks like and don't say it's proof he owns what he claims to be selling. How difficult is it to come by some photos on line.

So yes, I agree, it is rude not to respond.

I take pride in all my rapping
Its what I like to do
Lots of bubble and cardboard
To get it safely from me to you
If you don't pack it right
and the couriers take fright
a box full of bits
just gets on your...

Applications for poet laureate are now closed. Stick to your rapping.:D

advertisement

Back