advertisement

analog CD sound

Electronics do have a smell, especially valve equipment, and class A transistor amps.

I remember hearing the DaCapo at a Bristol show when it was new, best CD replay I had heard, nearly as good as the double speed DAT that IIRC was at the same show (!!!) but I couldn't afford it then, so I got the next best thing I heard by way of CD replay, the Trichord Genesis. DaCapo and Trichord modified CDPs were the closest to my LP12 which I considered the definitive source. Don't see DaCapo for sale anymore, besides a limited by modern standards, but I wonder whether rather than looking for a CDP might be better to get a reasonable CD transport and look at a DAC that could do more and if it didn't suit in the longer run, be swapped out?

You could try adding a HiCap to your Naim CD player. I have a CD3.5 and using it with the HiCap brings a massive improvement in sound quality. If you buy a secondhand HiCap and then decide you are still not happy with the sound, you can easily sell it on for what you buy it for.

You could try adding a HiCap to your Naim CD player. I have a CD3.5 and using it with the HiCap brings a massive improvement in sound quality. If you buy a secondhand HiCap and then decide you are still not happy with the sound, you can easily sell it on for what you buy it for.

Any of the Naim CD5i players cannot add seperate PSU such as Hicap, Flatcap etc.

Only CD3.5, CD5X/CD5XS can

New thread idea: the best smelling audio equipment you’ve ever owned.

Any of the Naim CD5i players cannot add seperate PSU such as Hicap, Flatcap etc.

Only CD3.5, CD5X/CD5XS can
Er, the expensive Naim CD players need an expensive additional box to realise their potential? :eek:

It has always mystified me that people go along with this...

Er, the expensive Naim CD players need an expensive additional box to realise their potential? :eek:

It has always mystified me that people go along with this...
Traditional Naim upgrade path, nothing new here for many decades, shock horror PSU quality matters. Sure you can use the same old arguments about how it should be included in the first place but if I demo a CDP and prefer it, buy it, later can lift the performance further with a PSU upgrade, why not? People go along with it because it works :p

Problem here is the CDP in question isn't open to that upgrade ...

Rega CDPs do sound less digitally than the mainstream.

Personally tend to find valve/non-oversampling ones the most organic overall - Audio Note, Opera Consonance etc

More raw somehow, more emotional connection. Even if it's just a bit.

...And even if it's technically flawed.

(OK, I'll bite...)

Do tell (just so that I can make sure it's not on my list of 'record players' to try... :rolleyes: :D)

Let's pretend you are being serious: not the 'record player' (not sure why the quotes, but all the same) but getting a RCM, better cart and much better phono stage than I had before.

Ps. Also got rid of all the records that I wasn't interested in listening to or poor pressings/bad condition and mostly any that were reissues or remastered.

Let's pretend you are being serious: not the 'record player' (not sure why the quotes, but all the same) but getting a RCM, better cart and much better phono stage than I had before.

Ps. Also got rid of all the records that I wasn't interested in listening to or poor pressings/bad condition and mostly any that were reissues or remastered.

They tend to be called turntables in these parts, and, as you suspected, I wasn't being serious (not least because I'm not in the market for a new turntable - the one I have, though modest, is already more musically satisfying than any CD replay I've heard (which is unfortunate for me, as I have many more CDs than records :()).

It's good to hear that you are happy with your system, though, as that seems to be a relative rarity, sadly.

Nowadays, it may be helpful to consider a CD as merely a way of transporting digital files to your music server. Once the data from the disc is on the server, the disc itself can then be stored elsewhere for safekeeping, as proof of ownership.

Not everyone wants to change to this way of listening, of course, and I appreciate that. Just another approach to consider, as the OP was asking for opinions.

I kept using a good CD player for many years because I couldn't get a server-based system to sound as good. Now the server-based system sounds better, I hardly use the CD player. The key change was to find a USB DAC that I liked.

It's subjective, but the most analogue sounding way of playing CDs may not actually be a CD player at all.

Kind regards

- Garry

advertisement

Back