1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

analog CD sound

Discussion in 'audio' started by Rushboy, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Rushboy

Rushboy pfm Member

Hello,
    i am from germany .and here the dealers say that the rega apollo cdp sounds very analog. so even bad recordings still sound good.
    my current naim cd5i sometimes sounds annoying.
    are there any opinions?

2. chartz

chartz pfm Member

Hallo!

No CD player will ever sound “analogue”. Perhaps the first Philips players that were fluffy like an old Shure on a Thorens?

If you want analogue sound, buy a turntable and vintage AAA records!

3. Rushboy

Rushboy pfm Member

record player i have. maybe i should go on streaming?

4. lazycat

lazycat pfm Member

It's taken me over 20 yrs to get a 'digital' sound right TME.

I'm using a Teac ud501 dac and it's by far the best sound I've had. Can't detect a difference between my usb streamer and my resurrected Technics slps7 - if cd is your thing.

Others tried include a Chord 2qute, which wasn't a patch on what I'm hearing right now.

5. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

+1, in no small part thanks to the Rega DAC

6. PerF

PerF Member

My opinion, having owned several of the entry-level Naim CD5i, italic i and Si players, they are horrible annoying on just about any setup of revealing nature.
    I'm sort of happy to learn others experience matches mine.

The trick Naim did was to name that series as "i" for "improved"
    Nothing could be more wrong
    It is entry-level players by all means, priced far too high.

The CD5X or 5XS are much better players and certainly not annoying.

As for Rega cd-players of recently, they are great, I'd choose Apollo/R or Saturn any day of the week vs 5i.

Go listen for yourself

samz and Rushboy like this.
  7. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

I’m using an MHDT Labs Orchid valve DAC streaming radio and listening to CDs on SSD when not listening to vinyl. It has quite an analogue sounds to it....no sharp edges. AND, it doesn’t light up light a chuffin’ Christmas Tree like so much stuff does nowadays!?@z!?

8. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

Not so!
    I had an Arcam Delta 70.3 and it was a very challenging listen, detiled but very harsh.
    I replaced it with a SONY CDP338ESD, via it's anlalogue out it sounds very ............. analogue.

Rockmeister likes this.
  9. jimmytwos

jimmytwos pfm Member

OP: If It were me I would try the original rega planet CDP, it may have what you are looking for? Fyi I currently own a 5 series naim cd player with the flat cap, can't tell if it makes a difference in terms of "the sound" but it matches my nait in terms of a complete system. I won't air my opinions on SQ but I often tend to listen to the music rather than the equipment playing it...

10. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Of the CD players I've heard, Rega and Marantz sound most analogue to me, if by analogue you mean tonally a bit rich and funky.

Joe

linnfomaniac83 and Torris12 like this.
  11. robbyd

robbyd pfm Member

I'd try to listen to the AcousticPlan Vadi CD player - it's one I have, and as a vinyl man, I can happily listen to it - really rather good!

12. Paul Mc

Paul Mc pfm Member

In Germany I'd hunt out a secondhand Accuphase.

Rockmeister likes this.
  13. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

If you want a CD player to sound "analog", it is easy to add noise, distortion and coloration by using DSP...

maverick20 likes this.
  14. flatpopely

So, let me guess..............all CD players sound the same? Am I right?

15. chartz

chartz pfm Member

Not so. I have a 70.2 and it sounds nothing like that. It is actually very sweet! A bit too much so even. I prefer a good modern cartridge on a good turntable!

16. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

How come Julf being such a digital proponent manages to sound like a stuck record?

Sorry I just couldn't resist..

Yank, gary yeowell and G T Audio like this.
  17. flatpopely

I listen to all music formats.
    The 70.2 and .3 must be very different as it was anything but sweet.

18. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Julf,

I'm not a fan of ticks, pops and distortion, but I do likes me some analogue awesomeness — that sound you get from a good record on a good turntable.

Joe

G T Audio likes this.
  19. chartz

chartz pfm Member

That's funny because I've just re-read the Hi-Fi Review tests and they said the 70.3 was sweeter than the 70.2. Mmm...

Well anyway, that specific player is the sweetest vintage player I have by far. My Quad CD66 sounds much the same.

Clay B likes this.
  20. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Maybe you haven't listened to valved CDPs then. My Lector is about as analogue as my vinyl front end; slightly different but certainly analogue (also c.f. Meridian & Naim I've had) The Rega valved Isis is, by reputation, lovely, and various iterations of A.R.C. were good (but American). There may be others.