advertisement

analog CD sound

It depends what is meant by analogue sounding. Higher end record decks and mid-priced cdps/streamers often sound more alike than different so in that case what does analogue mean? CD nowadays shouldn't sound annoying as seems to be the case in the OP.

Hallo!

No CD player will ever sound “analogue”. Perhaps the first Philips players that were fluffy like an old Shure on a Thorens?

If you want analogue sound, buy a turntable and vintage AAA records!

Hi. :) A CD player can sound more analogue, due to much lower noise floor and much higher dynamic range.

What I think you are referring to is euphonic distortion, or medium-specific distortion. Unlike tape or vinyl, digital files do not have a “sound” until they are converted to analogue.

A lot of people do like vinyl sound though. “The medium is the message.” ...

Digital artefacts are far more grating and noticeable than analogue ones, vinyl sounds “nice”, but jittery or badly filtered / upsampled digital to analogue conversion can sound flat, glassy, hard etc. Get rid of those artefacts, and then we have analogue sound.

Try a Musical Fidelity M1.
I bought one as a stop gap years back and am still satisfied today.

Or you could answer the question.

To answer your question - no, not all CD players sound the same. Some don't have modern buffering and re-reading, so have to "fake it" if they came across unreadable sections of the CD. Others have analog stages that are "voiced" on purpose. Some even have tube buffers to add noise, coloration and distortion.

Digital artefacts are far more grating and noticeable than analogue ones, vinyl sounds “nice”, but jittery or badly filtered / upsampled digital to analogue conversion can sound flat, glassy, hard etc.

Fortunately those are pretty much a thing of the past.

When I can muster sufficient strength to overcome my vinyl snobbery and abandon my Orbe SE/Audiomods S5/DV17D3 for a moment.. I still find that my venerable and unmodified Rotel RCD 965 BX sounds nicely smooth and analogue..ish.

When I can muster sufficient strength to overcome my vinyl snobbery and abandon my Orbe SE/Audiomods S5/DV17D3 for a moment.. I still find that my venerable and unmodified Rotel RCD 965 BX sounds nicely smooth and analogue..ish.

+ 1 for the Rotel, great sounding CD player, Meridian also sound good, Rega as well

I'll keep an eye on the Rega. I also want to test the Exposure XM. The Exposure amplifiers sound very good. Is this also true for the CD-players ?

Hello,
i am from germany .and here the dealers say that the rega apollo cdp sounds very analog. so even bad recordings still sound good.
my current naim cd5i sometimes sounds annoying.
are there any opinions?

I have a Rega DAC-R which supposedly is similar sounding to the Apollo. I'm pretty happy with it. If the disc/file being played is taken from an analogue source and mastered to sound authentic, the result I get out of it doesn't have any digital artifacts. If the disc/file sounds like crappy remastered digital, the Rega won't hide that fact either. In any case it doesn't sound like when I play vinyl on my record player and I don't think any DAC or CDP will.

If the target is to provide a warm, slightly fuzzy and comfortable sound that will hide some of the issues with badly mastered records, try to find some NOS DAC with tube output or similar arrangement. Unfortunately the Naim has no digital output, so you can't just plug such a DAC in and switch between that and the player's analogue output depending on the record. But maybe such an arrangement with two options is what you want in the end?

I'd try something from Audio Note like https://www.audionote.co.uk/dac0-1x, but don't buy blind. I didn't hear any AN DACs in my own system so don't take this as a recommendation, only as a tip on where to start looking.

Hello,
i am from germany .and here the dealers say that the rega apollo cdp sounds very analog. so even bad recordings still sound good.
my current naim cd5i sometimes sounds annoying.
are there any opinions?

I think you'll find the apollo sounds great, but whether it sounds better than your cd5i on the 'sometimes annoying' recordings is i'm going to suggest, unlikely. The sad reality is that the variation in quality of different CD players once you've hit those sorts of prices is very minimal, as they are all basically implementations of DAC reference designs which measure equally well. Sure, there are differences that you can spot with the right measuring equipment, and something about the rest of your kit might make one difference audible in the right conditions, but i'm going to suggest the real issue is the content you are playing.

The variations in recording quality completely trumps variations in CD players. Chances are the 'bad recordings' are 'bad recordings' and you are hearing them with your equipment, and the only way to avoid this is to listen with *worse* equipment :(

My advice would be to stick with what you have, and adjust your expectations. Don't avoid bad recordings, enjoy them for what they are. If a punk band in the 70s threw out a recording in a day, it's not going to sound like the LPO in Abbey Road studio 1, and should be enjoyed as the slice of history and attitude that it is.

I'll keep an eye on the Rega. I also want to test the Exposure XM. The Exposure amplifiers sound very good. Is this also true for the CD-players ?
I had a Rega DAC and now have an Exposure 3010S2. I mostly listen to records and the Rega was the first digital source I heard that I really liked (not that I'd heard many). I'm not sure it has the main quality I associate with records (a kind of exaggerated separation of instruments) but it didn't sound flat and glassy, which my previous CD player had. I actually had a hard time getting my analogue sources to sound as good as the Rega. I only replaced it with the Exposure to cut back on boxes. The Exposure is leaner, cleaner and possibly more 3D sounding than the Rega - better, really, but the Rega was as good as I needed digital to be. I understand the Apollo sounds very similar.

The most analogue sounding CD system I've heard features a Chord Hugo TT2 fed from the CD transport through the M-Scaler.

+ 1 for the Rotel, great sounding CD player, Meridian also sound good, Rega as well
+1 for Meridian 506.24 and for me the 1st player (I have had others) that sounded analogue, I should sell it as I've ripped all my CDs but I still love it and it's built like a battleship with a proper mech, gathers nice comments when demonstrated.
but I should sell it really <sigh>

advertisement

Back