advertisement

Amptastic Mini-1 for sale again

Amptastic Mini-1 or Tangent Ampster? Similar names, similar pricing (ish), but similar performance???

My vintage pre-covid Amptastic is ambitiously driving some LS3/5A speakers in the office and doing rather well

I have the Amptastic, Temple monoblocs and the Bantam Gold and rave about all of them in appropriate threads.

The Amptastic is marginally the best of the bunch but the least capable at driving speakers. Used as a power amp only with a Sean Jacobs DC2 PSU into efficient speakers (I used Audio Note AX2s) I wouldn’t swap it for anything under a grand and can only think of a few I’d prefer under 2, my Leak ST20 being one of them.
What power supply are you using to run this amp?

I have the Amptastic, Temple monoblocs and the Bantam Gold and rave about all of them in appropriate threads.

The Amptastic is marginally the best of the bunch but the least capable at driving speakers. Used as a power amp only with a Sean Jacobs DC2 PSU into efficient speakers (I used Audio Note AX2s) I wouldn’t swap it for anything under a grand and can only think of a few I’d prefer under 2, my Leak ST20 being one of them.
Your saying the amptastic is better than the temple audio?? Both going through your very flashy power supply! I'm using my kingrex PSU to power both my kingrex T20u and the bantam stealth amp and I love the kingrex in as much as it just plays music nice..but the bantam is much better..you might have a flash power supply but I have a flash passive pre amp! Lol..should I now buy a amptastic? I'm not convinced...sorry

Your saying the amptastic is better than the temple audio?? Both going through your very flashy power supply! I'm using my kingrex PSU to power both my kingrex T20u and the bantam stealth amp and I love the kingrex in as much as it just plays music nice..but the bantam is much better..you might have a flash power supply but I have a flash passive pre amp! Lol..should I now buy a amptastic? I'm not convinced...sorry
Good Question and not the easiest to answer. The Amptastic just has something about it - that Tripath chip. The Temples, even the Bantam Gold, are probably objectively better.

When in use, I run both the above with Sean Jacobs DC2s. The Temple Monoblocs are in use upstairs but they are powered by a single DC3 that I can’t use on the others. I also have a custom built Temple power amp that’s probably the best of the lot.

Sean Jacobs has been very helpful - 2 of my 4 supplies were bought second hand and he looked them over and changed the voltage on one no problem. Prices have gone up rather though - but what does a Naim PSU cost these days, for example. Sean does the supplies for Innuos btw.

Obviously, many think linear supplies are a waste of time and money but clearly I’m not one of them. I have a DC2 on my 2Qute, whatever Rob Watts thinks (publicly).

Good Question and not the easiest to answer. The Amptastic just has something about it - that Tripath chip. The Temples, even the Bantam Gold, are probably objectively better.

When in use, I run both the above with Sean Jacobs DC2s. The Temple Monoblocs are in use upstairs but they are powered by a single DC3 that I can’t use on the others. I also have a custom built Temple power amp that’s probably the best of the lot.

Sean Jacobs has been very helpful - 2 of my 4 supplies were bought second hand and he looked them over and changed the voltage on one no problem. Prices have gone up rather though - but what does a Naim PSU cost these days, for example. Sean does the supplies for Innuos btw.

Obviously, many think linear supplies are a waste of time and money but clearly I’m not one of them. I have a DC2 on my 2Qute, whatever Rob Watts thinks (publicly).
I'm a big fan of power supplies..the difference it can make is astonishing..looks like I might have to get one of these little amps..grrr lol

These tiny, tripath amps seem to have a following, so just a heads-up that they are for sale again on the usual auction site. Seems to be a limited batch, until chip stock runs out.

I got one this week and it is very good. It is not being allowed to shine properly as it is powering budget speakers, mounted on top of kitchen units, about 4 inches from the ceiling with a resonating cooker hood in-between. However, it passed the test of making my wife sing along and dance to the music and comment on how good the sound was.

I have no connection or interest in the company. Just like to see good stuff being made in the UK.

eBay link here.
Thanks @wulbert for this thread as it had a higher visibility in this discussion group than mine had elsewhere. If it hadn’t been for the resulting enthusiasm for this little amp I wouldn’t have bought one and I’d have missed out! It arrived this afternoon and I have been listening to it for a few hours and it’s showing real promise, it’s certainly better than the two other Tripath amps I have. It is temporarily set it up in my bedroom with another RPi/ dac hat and a pair of JPW ML510 loudspeakers and I’ll give it maybe 50 hours use before I swap it with the Nait in the system in the room where I clean my records. But tonight I’m hopefully going to kill two birds with one stone by streaming 8 hours 23 minutes of Max Richter’s Sleep overnight for run in and to maybe get a good nights sleep too. Cheers

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm liking how this wee amp sounds. So much so that I'd like to know which amp sounds essentially the same but has more power on tap. It should be bass-lite and sweet.

advertisement

Back