advertisement

Amptastic Mini-1 for sale again

Good Question and not the easiest to answer. The Amptastic just has something about it - that Tripath chip. The Temples, even the Bantam Gold, are probably objectively better.

When in use, I run both the above with Sean Jacobs DC2s. The Temple Monoblocs are in use upstairs but they are powered by a single DC3 that I can’t use on the others. I also have a custom built Temple power amp that’s probably the best of the lot.

Sean Jacobs has been very helpful - 2 of my 4 supplies were bought second hand and he looked them over and changed the voltage on one no problem. Prices have gone up rather though - but what does a Naim PSU cost these days, for example. Sean does the supplies for Innuos btw.

Obviously, many think linear supplies are a waste of time and money but clearly I’m not one of them. I have a DC2 on my 2Qute, whatever Rob Watts thinks (publicly).
I just ordered one..it will be an interesting comparison between my kingrex and this amp..plus I will turn it into a power amp and compare it with my little stealth power amp both going through my passive pre amp ( my passive pre has a stepped attenuator, one for each channel and this will be the best test I think..hadn't realised a volume control would be such a pinch point in hifi..

After trying my Amptastic in both my living room and bedroom systems, I've decided to use it as a headphone amp with the aid of a Demion Pro Gold speaker switch. The reasons being that I need an amplifier in my living room system with multiple inputs, including AV Bypass, and a Tape Out, not to mention more oomph; and my Rega IO works great with my LP12 + Rega Exact cart straight off the bat in my bedroom and trying to match the Amptastic with a Trichord Dino 2 and the Exact, well it just didn't work out. There's obviously a lot of synergy between the Exact and the IO so I'm just gonna leave things there as they are. It just works.

Anyway, the Amptastic is a great sounding headphone amp: it sounds rich and warm and totally non-fatiguing. And it can drive my HD650s no problem. I'm not sure I've ever had a headphone setup sound as good as this before. For some reason, there's a bit of hiss coming from one of the channels and I'm pretty sure it's the Amptastic. But after experimenting with a number of amps and cables and permutations, even with some slight hiss the Amptastic still sounds the best. It's just an amazing sounding amplifier!

Mine arrived, very detailed and transparent sound, bass is quite light but to be expected, especially as I connected it to my Neat Motive 2s which are 85 db/1

I'm getting a crusty set of B&O CX50s as a refoaming project, which I'll drive with the Amptastic, fed from a CCA with a powerbank powersupply. Should work well!

Has anyone had any luck emailing Chris? I’d like to ask a couple of questions.

Does anyone have an Amptastic to hand and a multimeter. My headphone amp conversion has stalled since I read this:

AS LONG AS THE TWO CHANNELS L- R SHARE A COMMON GROUND

PLEASE CHECK YOUR AMP WITH A MULTIMETER IF YOU DON’T GET A CONTINUITY READING ACROSS BOTH NEGATIVE SPEAKER OUTPUTS, THIS IS NOT FOR YOU

The ‘not for you’ being the Can Opener referenced in the Headphones room. I can buy a multimeter but would lack confidence in my ability to use it properly.

Thanks.

Had the amptastic running in for a few days..I am using it in power amp mode, changed internal jumpers quite easy..through my jolida DAC into my very good passive pre amp into my speakers specially made for low power amps..this little amp is singing so sweet..( haven't tried the PSU supplied , using kingrex PSU )

Had the amptastic running in for a few days..I am using it in power amp mode, changed internal jumpers quite easy..through my jolida DAC into my very good passive pre amp into my speakers specially made for low power amps..this little amp is singing so sweet..( haven't tried the PSU supplied , using kingrex PSU )
Nice. The little Amptastic is quality, as is your Jolida. I had a fully pimped one for quite a while, which was awesome. Enjoy!!!

I'd be interested in the comparison between Nait and Mini-1.
I think I'd expect "very different"!
Well they're not actually hugely different. To be fair to both I used them with another recent purchase of a Classic Audio Spartan 5 phono stage. I would say the Spartan is better than the phono stage in the Nait but the internal phono stage is maybe a better partner. The speakers were my Mordaunt Short Pageant Mk2 with Witchhat Phantom speaker cables. Anyway in comparison I would be happy with either amp, the Nait has that bit more pace and energy and the Amptastic is more open and transparent. Vintage or modern really, either or, it's no big deal.

My Schiit Rekkr arrived a couple of weeks ago..it's only two watts output! It's designed for nearfield listening..I have been struggling to use it for normal hifi listening, but a few days ago I tried using my jolida valve DAC as the pre amp..suddenly it sounds powerful and fills room with music! I have been comparing it with amptastic..the amptastic is fab and compares very favourably with my other T amps..the Rekkr is not class T or class D..it's a traditional amp albeit very tiny and only two measly watts...but it's better than the amptastic.. problem is you need a jolida DAC to get it to sing in a normal hifi setting..if you own a jolida DAC I can highly recommend the Schiit Rekkr...it's incredible

Does anyone have an Amptastic to hand and a multimeter. My headphone amp conversion has stalled since I read this:

AS LONG AS THE TWO CHANNELS L- R SHARE A COMMON GROUND

PLEASE CHECK YOUR AMP WITH A MULTIMETER IF YOU DON’T GET A CONTINUITY READING ACROSS BOTH NEGATIVE SPEAKER OUTPUTS, THIS IS NOT FOR YOU

The ‘not for you’ being the Can Opener referenced in the Headphones room. I can buy a multimeter but would lack confidence in my ability to use it properly.

Thanks.
If you are near Leeds I have a meter and the ability to check for common grounds to L and R. I'll even make tea, and by the time you've put the milk in I'll have the result.

Thanks Steve. Sadly I'm not near Leeds (London) and the Amptastic does not share a common ground and can't be used with the Can Opener as is. I am still hoping that Temple Audio will provide a circuit diagram in the DIY room.

My Schiit Rekkr arrived a couple of weeks ago..it's only two watts output! It's designed for nearfield listening..I have been struggling to use it for normal hifi listening, but a few days ago I tried using my jolida valve DAC as the pre amp..suddenly it sounds powerful and fills room with music! I have been comparing it with amptastic..the amptastic is fab and compares very favourably with my other T amps..the Rekkr is not class T or class D..it's a traditional amp albeit very tiny and only two measly watts...but it's better than the amptastic.. problem is you need a jolida DAC to get it to sing in a normal hifi setting..if you own a jolida DAC I can highly recommend the Schiit Rekkr...it's incredible
I had the same experience with my little Zvex ImpAmp. It’s a tiny 1w valve amp that sounded a bit anaemic used with my passive “pot in a box” between a RPi/DACHat and 89db speakers but came to life when the passive was replaced with an active preamp. Good fun.

I had the same experience with my little Zvex ImpAmp. It’s a tiny 1w valve amp that sounded a bit anaemic used with my passive “pot in a box” between a RPi/DACHat and 89db speakers but came to life when the passive was replaced with an active preamp. Good fun.
These little amps can really shine given the opportunity..I'm guessing my jolida valve DAC Has a active pre amp? Made such a massive difference..I saw a online review of Rekkr and Gjallarhorn and reviewer seemed to dismiss Rekkr as he put it through same pre as Gjallarhorn and because it sounded undernourished by comparison to the Gjallarhorn amp..he basically disregarded it..

I just had to sign up to express my joy at finally getting one of these! I didn't even realise until last year that an amplifier was still made using NOS TA2020's. By the time I discovered it, Amptastic stock was long sold out to my knowledge.

I've long been a supporter of the Tripath sound, ever since first discovering them back in the early 2000's. The TA2024 was used for the on-board amplifier in the Apple Power Mac G4 series of computers and I was sold on it back then, even though it was only through the Apple Harman-Kardon "pod" loudspeakers.

It will be eventually used for my home office set up once I've prepared space and decided on loudspeakers. In the meantime, I had to check it was working with a "quick" audition :)

I switched out my living room Naim Nait 5i for it, powering a pair of Mission 752 Freedom's. Wasn't expecting miracles with the size of the Mission's, despite their 90db sensitivity. But I was very impressed and just couldn't stop. The little amp did so well. 5 hours later and the "quick" audition was over!

I was seriously contemplating buying another one for future use elsewhere, but over the course of two hours of yes/no thoughts, the last two sold out. Shame!

I just had to sign up to express my joy at finally getting one of these! I didn't even realise until last year that an amplifier was still made using NOS TA2020's. By the time I discovered it, Amptastic stock was long sold out to my knowledge.

I've long been a supporter of the Tripath sound, ever since first discovering them back in the early 2000's. The TA2024 was used for the on-board amplifier in the Apple Power Mac G4 series of computers and I was sold on it back then, even though it was only through the Apple Harman-Kardon "pod" loudspeakers.

It will be eventually used for my home office set up once I've prepared space and decided on loudspeakers. In the meantime, I had to check it was working with a "quick" audition :)

I switched out my living room Naim Nait 5i for it, powering a pair of Mission 752 Freedom's. Wasn't expecting miracles with the size of the Mission's, despite their 90db sensitivity. But I was very impressed and just couldn't stop. The little amp did so well. 5 hours later and the "quick" audition was over!

I was seriously contemplating buying another one for future use elsewhere, but over the course of two hours of yes/no thoughts, the last two sold out. Shame!
Welcome aboard Pms! Sounds like the wee Amptastic is hitting the spot for you.

I was at my neice's flat-warming party the other night (her first home) and noticed a turntable on her sideboard; "Yeah, but I don't have an amplifier for it, to make it work..." she said. I'm very tempted to get a Mini-1 for her and a pair of Kef Eggs as a gift.

Congrats. I love mine. I also actually bought another one recently, which is as yet totally unused and still in its box. But I'm not actually sure I'm going to get to use it. So if not, I'll send you a PM and you can have first refusal if I move it on.

They are fantastic little boxes and astonishing for price and size-to cost-to their performance.

advertisement

Back