advertisement

American prog

Never in a million years.

Chris
And "Potatoland" isn't a concept album? Eh?Eh?Eh?:D
What's so grievous about the label "prog". It's my opinion that Spirit are one of the best bands that "I" would categorise as the dreaded "prog". Twelve Dreams as well when I think about it, is well "proggish"

The Bee Gees have progressed more than most prog rock bands.
Progressive Rock a real contradiction in terms, as they usually don't progress and seldom rock, apart from a one or two notable exceptions.
Yes actually progressed as in changed when they got that Buggles bloke involved, but not favourably in many peoples opinion.
I still like some of it occassionaly though and that newer band Porcupine tree have done a decent track or two.

Never in a million years.

Chris

Have you noticed how prog acts are so crap that their 'fans' keep trying to nick great psychedelic bands like Spirit and The Grateful Dead.

The brain damage brought on by years of Rick Wakeman and Keith Emmerson makes people nasty.

Jack

Jack, as you're all sweetness and light, please share with us what have you been listening to all these years.

Have you noticed how prog acts are so crap that their 'fans' keep trying to nick great psychedelic bands like Spirit and The Grateful Dead.

The brain damage brought on by years of Rick Wakeman and Keith Emmerson makes people nasty.

Jack

The really sad thing is that a fair few of the prog bands started out as being pretty good rock bands.

I saw Yes live before the release of their first album, & they were a very tight rock band. But it was downhill from there, I'm afraid. Their second album was dire.

Similarly Jethro Tull. A bloody good british blues rock band in the early days. Saw them a couple of times around about the release of their first LP.

Chris

I saw Yes live before the release of their first album, & they were a very tight rock band. But it was downhill from there, I'm afraid. Their second album was dire.

Ditching pushing Peter Banks to the sideline for composition and then kicking him out was a big mistake. When he went it was the start of the end. Getting shot of Tony Kaye (or more importantly getting Wakeman in) was the final nail in the coffin.

Similarly Jethro Tull. A bloody good british blues rock band in the early days. Saw them a couple of times around about the release of their first LP.

So you've got the Blodwyn Pig and Wild Turkey albums then?

Ditching pushing Peter Banks to the sideline for composition and then kicking him out was a big mistake. When he went it was the start of the end. Getting shot of Tony Kaye (or more importantly getting Wakeman in) was the final nail in the coffin.

So you've got the Blodwyn Pig and Wild Turkey albums then?

Blodwyn Pig, certainly. Cornick's Wild Turkey were pretty naff, based upon the one gig I saw then do.

Chris

I think there is a difference between bands whose music could be described as progressive (nothing wrong with that) and those that went the way of pomp (phoo-ee), hence my inclusion of Spirit in the Prog category, Chris.
By the time of Twelve Dreams and Potatoland, Spirit were not a psychedelic band either IMO.
This labelling stuff is just laziiness anyway, the music I like is Great and the stuff I don't like is Shite! :D (which is even lazier)

Blodwyn Pig, certainly. Cornick's Wild Turkey were pretty naff, based upon the one gig I saw then do.

Chris

Chris - just checking - you're the guy that extolled the virtues of nesmith's first national band version of 'listen to the band' to me over the monkee's effort? ... coz i'm still recovering from that example of infallible opining :p

I think there is a difference between bands whose music could be described as progressive (nothing wrong with that) and those that went the way of pomp (phoo-ee), hence my inclusion of Spirit in the Prog category, Chris.
By the time of Twelve Dreams and Potatoland, Spirit were not a psychedelic band either IMO.
This labelling stuff is just laziiness anyway, the music I like is Great and the stuff I don't like is Shite! :D (which is even lazier)

Spirit were never a psych band. They were a bloody good rock band, though.

Chris

Chris - just checking - you're the guy that extolled the virtues of nesmith's first national band version of 'listen to the band' to me over the monkee's effort? ... coz i'm still recovering from that example of infallible opining :p

Yup, that's me. The Nesmith version is da biz!!

Chris

Ditching pushing Peter Banks to the sideline for composition and then kicking him out was a big mistake. When he went it was the start of the end. Getting shot of Tony Kaye - or more importantly getting shot of Tony Kaye (or more importantly getting Wakeman in) was the final nail in the coffin.

That was the coffin of million selling albums and sold out tours was it?:D

I wouldn't mind that.

Stephen

You're right but since when has success been a benchmark of qualidee?

True.

But I find it hard to believe anyone can think that 'Close to the Edge' is not one of the most amazing and innovative albums of all time. It makes their early work seem trite by comparison and was their real breakthrough LP.

Stephen

advertisement

Back