advertisement

American prog

Many bands in the 70s slipped into prog. Take Zeppelin, Whole Lotta Love with that interlude which totally f**ked up a great tune, albeit not written by themselves. Perhaps they were trying to disguise the original Willie Dixon number from which they nicked it.

Great link above by the way.
That middle bit is pretty ****ing far out if you're peaking on acid.

Perhaps a fashionable new blouse might put sir in a more proggy frame of mind?
4733805104_e9bf152374.jpg

I did listen to Trilogy the other night as it used to be my favourite ELP album; perhaps that has put me off for awhile.

Where's me Loons?

Many bands in the 70s slipped into prog. Take Zeppelin, Whole Lotta Love with that interlude which totally f**ked up a great tune, albeit not written by themselves. Perhaps they were trying to disguise the original Willie Dixon number from which they nicked it.

Great link above by the way.
I agree - that bit in the middle doesn't belong there.
I think it came from their live set, where they used to piddle about and improvise a lot.

I agree - that bit in the middle doesn't belong there.
I think it came from their live set, where they used to piddle about and improvise a lot.

It seems like we need to drop some acid according to foxwell.

I was fortunate enough to have seen them live many years ago and the knob twiddling/Freddy Mercury thermal thingy was time for many of us to take a trip [Not acid] to the toilet or bar or both. Perhaps we were just like modern day Glastonbury accountant tourist types God forbid.

I would think Spirit fell into the Prog category.

Never thought that before, but yes in my head Fresh Garbage does have that quasi-jazz feel. They just don't have the musically and lyrically pretentious thing right to make them suitable for the prog label.

I would consider both Kings X and Queensryche to be primarily metal bands.

I've got quite a few Dead and Jefferson Airplane albums and went to see them a few times.

They definitely aren't prog.

Alice Cooper wasn't prog: he's a bit of a genius.

Nope, the English had the monopoly on crap muso bands with sparking capes, platform-soled boots, and unsightly facial hair.

Lack of prog bands is one of the few decent things about America.

Jack

spandex!?!?

What about Vanilla Fudge?

I know they're more often touted as a psychedelic outfit but their Hammond-driven, 'epic' treatement of songs like "You Keep Me Hanging On" must make them some sort of proto-prog outfit.

Automatic Man is one.

Nowadays there are plenty of progressive bands, but the aren't prog in the traditional sense. Take The Mars Volta for example.

advertisement

Back