advertisement

Amazon - vinyl record packaging

Thanks to all replies.

Well I returned the damaged article and gave a polite and accurate reason stating the lack of Frustration Free packaging and accepted a replacement.

The replacement arrived or should I say dumped outside the property without a knock/ring at the door.
So at least there was a box but NO protection for the LP which had banged around inside and some damage to cover corners but not as bad as the fitst.
I give up, it now looks like some idiot at AMAZON believes they are saving the company money but could in fact cost them sales and constant returns for damage.
Will this kill off LP sales at AMAZON?

My last purchase before this was from the Stephen WIlson site and this came through safely in a sturdy Frustration Free packaging.

So which retailers are still using Frustration Free packaging?

I use Juno because the packaging and delivery service is really exceptional (for a price) but the returns process is a bit too slow and it falls down when records are only available in small numbers i.e. they sell out more quickly than they replace.

Will this kill off LP sales at AMAZON?
I must admit, I sometimes wonder that. I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, but if I look through my account, there are hardly any returns apart from records, and there are a LOT of them.

Admittedly that is often down to warping or other manufacturing defects as opposed to damage during delivery but the latter is a reasonable percentage.

I'm sure they look at this type of metric, but I'd assume vinyl records must be a 'difficult' product line for them? It's a product that most people are going to want in pristine condition, both in terms of the outer packaging and the record itself.

I couldn't care less about the packaging of most of the other items that I buy from them and even if the item itself is slightly damaged, I'd generally not bother returning it as long as it was usable. I don't tend to buy many high value items from them anyway.

I use Juno because the packaging and delivery service is really exceptional (for a price) but the returns process is a bit too slow and it falls down when records are only available in small numbers i.e. they sell out more quickly than they replace.

Totally agree. I've spent a lot with Juno over the years and not had many problems, but when there has been one the resolution isn't the best.

The base offer for items that are damaged appears to be keep the item and have a 10-15% store credit, which is fine, but for some records I'd rather pay full price for a pristine copy and often struggle to get that.

Very nice Amazon delivery chap offered to wait while i checked the record as he noticed that the outer packing had got wet while out on delivery.
inner and contents were fine physically (the album itself is another story - DSOM Redux 😂)

I order many records from amazon.
There as a brief period last year were L.P’s would arrive loose in a brown paper bag, and I sent it back for a replacement without breaking the shrink-wrap because of a dinged corner usually.
Most records arrive in a sturdy cardboard packet that I carefully open, then reuse for records I sell. The corner protection is good and I add a 12x12 piece of corrugated cardboard placed crossply to make it extra rigid.

On the whole, I find the amazon packaging more than adequate.

On a (tenuously) related note, has anyone who orders new releases regularly from Amazon noticed that they now tend to arrive on the following Tuesday, four days later than the Friday release date?

It doesn't normally bother me, but there have been a few that I'd like to listen to asap. Sometimes, if I click in to the item on release day some of them are available to be delivered 'Today, by 10pm', where as the pre-order I'd made months ago is still four days away!

I'll sometimes cancel and re-order, but then the risk is that any pre-order price guarantee savings will be lost.

If only Fridays weren't so busy at the moment, I'd get new releases at my local, but not really possible just now.

On a (tenuously) related note, has anyone who orders new releases regularly from Amazon noticed that they now tend to arrive on the following Tuesday, four days later than the Friday release date?
Yes happened to me last week despite paying the shipping. Juno will often ship on a Wednesday (since the RM problems last year) so that you get the records a day early, more often than not ;)

Yes happened to me last week despite paying the shipping. Juno will often ship on a Wednesday (since the RM problems last year) so that you get the records a day early, more often than not ;)

Thanks. That's a good tip, I might look at Juno for new releases gong forward.

advertisement

Back