advertisement

Amazon - vinyl record packaging

rough edges

Sapere Aude
I've started to buy the odd vinyl record from Amazon Canada, and have been frustrated with their poor packaging. I don't understand how they can be so stupid; it's not as if they lack shipping experience...

The last three shipments have all incurred damage, because the records were allowed to fly around inside a box that is way too big for the job. The box that the records are shipped in is 20"x14". Oh yeah, there were a couple of those beer can sized air packs in the box, but they are basically useless. Occasionally, Amazon Canada will use a separate protective cardboard jacket for a record, but other records in the same package don't have them. They are the ones that get damaged. I can't see how they can go on doing this. I've returned items from the last three shipments, all due to insufficient packaging.

Is Amazon UK doing the same piss poor job of packing records for shipment? Or is this just a Canuck thing?

I'll take this up with Amazon customer service once I know whether it's just a problem with Amazon Canada, or not.

Yes some times they are, it's inconsistent. Most times I have had proper record mailers inside the large box you describe, but on a few occasions, increasing frequent lately, just loose with a few air packs. Luckily for me all the records have arrived undamged.

I think it's all down to the individual packers at Amazon. They need to reinforce a set standard for packaging.

So it is happening elsewhere. The package I received today, had one record in a record mailer, and the other just left to flop around. It was damaged to the extent that the actual vinyl record broke through the top of the gatefold sleeve, making a 3" long gash in that heavy cardboard sleeve. Maybe they packed it that way, and the damage wasn't done in transit. Either way, it shouldn't be happening.
The record that was damaged is Brooks' "Minor Move"; first world problem, I know, but still pissed off about it...

Yes some times they are, it's inconsistent. Most times I have had proper record mailers inside the large box you describe, but on a few occasions, increasing frequent lately, just loose with a few air packs. Luckily for me all the records have arrived undamged.

Same here. Sometimes I have single LPs arrive naked in coffin sized boxes with nothing else, sometimes in a record mailer inside same box, sometimes just a record mailer. But nothing damaged yet.

And god knows where they keep them. 8 out of 10 are warped on arrival. More than other places ime.

Mine are usually packed fine but I realise I just scuppered the BN 80th haul coming next week..... Get the odd warp but to be fair that's where Amazon's returns process makes it easy to sort.

So far this month (all of 8 days old), I have placed orders for 8 LPs on Amazon, by fluke, all sold by Amazon. I don't keep count, but I think that I must buy a total of somewhere between 10 and 20 LPs per month, most supplied, if not sold, by Amazon.
I don't recall receiving an LP not in an LP-sized corrugated card mailer, but they have been inside crazy large boxes for the past several months.
I have not received any warped records so far as I recall, ever, but I have returned stuff for surface noise/damage that happened long before it was shipped anywhere.

The only damage that is at all likely to have happened during shipping that I recall has been where the LP has smashed through the sleeve. Some suppliers (Norman??? for instance), ask if you want records shipped still sealed or the record removed from the sleeve to avoid this damage, which I opt for.

IRC the secret with Amazon is to buy three albums or more as at that point you get better packaging. I actually buy very little vinyl from them, but can certainly remember albums arriving in standard LP mailers inside a larger outer box with some padding, which is very good indeed.

.......I don't recall receiving an LP not in an LP-sized corrugated card mailer, but they have been inside crazy large boxes for the past several months.
I have not received any warped records so far as I recall, ever, but I have returned stuff for surface noise/damage that happened long before it was shipped anywhere.

The only damage that is at all likely to have happened during shipping that I recall has been where the LP has smashed through the sleeve. Some suppliers (Norman??? for instance), ask if you want records shipped still sealed or the record removed from the sleeve to avoid this damage, which I opt for.

I think Amazon are now try to standardise on a limited number of box sizes. We have had the same 20" x 14" box that Rough Edges describes used for quite a few other things supplied direct from Amazon. Some rediculously small items for this size of box. I suspect this standardisation is a simplification and cost cutting exercise. Hopefully they have a packing policy for use of the boxes as well, that would include that there should be mailers inside for Records. I hope they are not trying to further cut costs by leaving mailers out. Perhaps we should all complain if the mailers are missing even if the records arrive undamaged in case complaints and returns set their final policy?

IRC the secret with Amazon is to buy three albums or more as at that point you get better packaging. I actually buy very little vinyl from them, but can certainly remember albums arriving in standard LP mailers inside a larger outer box with some padding, which is very good indeed.

That doesn't seem to be working at present. Most of my orders have been for three or four records. Boxes have arrived with no mailers, some mailers or all in mailers.

One thing I’ve noticed recently is, incomprehensibly, Amazon seem to have migrated to plastic packaging on some smaller items. Certainly my Led By Donkeys book arrived in a plastic padded envelope. I’ve had CDs arrive that way too. Just absurd given a global move against single-use plastics.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I bought some banjo strings (don’t judge!) this week that were in a Jiffy bag too big for my letter box. Fortunately I was in.

I've had lp'sput in a box that measured 11 inches across the diagonal, at least it didn't rattle about.

I bought some banjo strings (don’t judge!) this week that were in a Jiffy bag too big for my letter box. Fortunately I was in.

Royal Mail's USP is "never be out."

It's ten miles to my nearest RM depot and they won't redeliver to a local post office.

I've spent two years trying to find out why ...

My Amazon vinyl comes in the standard box in a proper mailer (I now have a collection of these.)

My recent Sprout album purchased was still damaged though. Amazon sent a new one next day.

Stephen

I've had vary rare bad packaging from amazon.
Most LPs arrive in the standard cardboard mailers in a large box stuffed with brown paper.
Most problems are warped vinyl but that's not there fault and replacement or refund service Has always been second to none.

Royal Mail's USP is "never be out."
Make friends with your postman. Mine leaves stuff in the porch, signs for it if I’m not in, holds things at the depot if I’m away for a bit and takes prepaid stuff back with him from my house to save me the trip. Only costs a few drinks every year.

8 out of 10 are warped on arrival.

I have not received any warped records so far as I recall,

That's the internet for you. :(

Maybe why vinyl is so expensive,because people return so much of it due to their greater knowledge.

'it had a fleck of dust on track 2'

Most records have some degree of warp if you look too hard.

A well set up deck and good cartridge give less than a flying duck, and cope admirably with a little
off flat.

Mine is a C £10K set up.

If you find such things irksome go digital - it is perfect forever don't you know.

advertisement

Back