advertisement

Amazon - vinyl record packaging

I was chatting to someone who ran a small independent metal label for a bit - she said she couldn't believe the amount of vinyl returned because there was a small ding on the sleeve or something. In the end it was one of the main reasons she packed it in altogether.

I suspect vinyl LPs have gone from just being a thing to play to music from to collectors items where condition is everything. That's a market that won't last - just ask anyone who followed the comics boom of the 90s..

I was chatting to someone who ran a small independent metal label for a bit - she said she couldn't believe the amount of vinyl returned because there was a small ding on the sleeve or something. In the end it was one of the main reasons she packed it in altogether.

I suspect vinyl LPs have gone from just being a thing to play to music from to collectors items where condition is everything. That's a market that won't last - just ask anyone who followed the comics boom of the 90s..

I started this thread because I'm buying a few of the Tone Poet Blue Note releases from Amazon. These are fairly expensive items, that due to poor packaging, are being damaged in transit. The last one I returned, had a 3" gash in the top of the gatefold sleeve that was made when the record went through it. That involved a lot of impact, and was far from a minor dent in the sleeve/cover.

I buy these items to add to my collection. A pristine cover should not be too much to expect, especially when it left the vendor that way.

I received my replacement copy of "Minor Move" today. It came in an outer box that was exactly the same width as the record jacket, but 3" too long. No inner record mailer. There were two of those beer can air packs in there for good measure. I haven't opened it yet, but at least the outer jacket looks good...

l had THREE Steve Miller Bands box set sent back to Amazon- everyone smashed to bits, one came in a plastic bag, the other two in boxes far too large for the LP Box, so they just rolled around inside the larger box- gave up in the end and got my money back.:(

I had a chat with a fellow from Amazon Canada customer service today. I told him about the issues discussed here, and he said that he will take it up with the shipping department. I got the feeling that I was talking to someone who didn't really care. Oh well, as long as they are willing to replace items damaged in transit, I guess a person just has to "play the game".
It does seem like such a shame, though...

I've had vinyl packed very well from Amazon, and very un-caring-ly. None have arrived damaged.

Generally my experience of Amazon has been very good double boxed etc. Then once I got a Dylan box set literally in the shrink wrap!
So I'm lucky cos I just can't be arsed to send anything back.

Complete turnabout again for the better with my latest 4 BN80's that have just arrived from Amazon. Almost overkill packaging this time. All four in individual mailers inside the usual large box, but every bit of excess space in the box tightly packed with air bags not allowing any movement at all.

Can't win everything though to of the Blue Note 80's have the tight paper static prone inner sleeves that need cutting off. Two with later OK ones.

The Band ST remaster just arrived in a standard mailer inside a 21 x 14inch box lightly filled with brown paper.

Who is the best quality 12” record mailers and where can I buy them in reasonable quantity?
I remember reading a while back that these are pretty good, although you might want to add one or two 12” cardboard spacers depending on the number of, er, units you are shifting. But if my sums are right, 300 mailers and 600 spacers would cost a total of around £200.

I have mostly had good experiences with Amazon's record delivery and packaging, but a Marillion 3LP arrived in a BAG on Sunday; three corners were slightly dinged but no damage to the records. 70% refund softened the blow a bit.

I just received another Tone Poet LP, and it arrived in a mailer inside the usual protective outer box. I could tell when I picked the package up that it was noticeably heavier than normal, so when I opened it up, I was happy to see the mailer in there.
Anyway, I popped the mailer open, only to see that there was a 2.5" gash in the top of the jacket. This has happened to me twice in a month. It makes me wonder if Amazon is sending them out that way...
I have never had this much trouble with records arriving damaged. Whatever their problems are, I wish that Amazon would get their shit together.

Never had any problem with Tone Poets or 80ths, all have arrived absolutely perfectly and I have most of them. Odd how there are such discrepancies.

3 LP’s from Amazon this week. 1 in card mailer and 1 in a box with brown paper arrived intact. 1 in card mailer was damaged, crumpled corner bad enough it’s going back. Very inconsistent the way they send records.
Gus

Old thread I know however recent AMAZON UK problems with pakaging.

I have purchased vinyl LP's from AMAZON UK for some years and all have arrived in the cardboard Frustration Free packaging and sometimes inside another protecting cardboared box which has protected the vinyl really well until this last month and two recent purchases which have arrived damaged without the usual cardboard protection and just inside a thin paper bag!!!!

Anybody else seeing this poor standard of delivery packaging?

Old thread I know however recent AMAZON UK problems with pakaging.

I have purchased vinyl LP's from AMAZON UK for some years and all have arrived in the cardboard Frustration Free packaging and sometimes inside another protecting cardboared box which has protected the vinyl really well until this last month and two recent purchases which have arrived damaged without the usual cardboard protection and just inside a thin paper bag!!!!

Anybody else seeing this poor standard of delivery packaging?
It's very hit and miss. The overkill box, the average quality mailer alone and then the paper bag. I've only had the bag once or twice. I try not to use Amazon but then their returns is a big plus so I'll do that if I'm half expecting to have to return a record.

I have also seen some inconsistency in Amazon record packaging lately. I was collecting some Jimmy Smith titles, and there was a lot of variation with the packaging. Also, there was one title that came to me with the Frustration Free inner packaging, but when I opened it, the cover was creased badly on all four corners. I was very upset that they would send something that was in that kind of condition in the first place. I don't know why they don't take more care with these things.

The ones that you really have to be careful of are the listings that state ‘packaging reveals what is inside’, but doesn’t give you the option to ship in Amazon packaging.

That combination will get you a delivery with the address label stuck directly to the shrink wrap on the record with no protection at all!

Next worst seems to be the paper bag, followed by the new mailers that are so small it’s difficult to get the record out.

It’s a shame because their old standard heavy duty mailer seems quite adequate, albeit it’s usually stuffed inside another unnecessary massive box!

advertisement

Back