advertisement

Am I missing out- Mac mini compared to Melco or Aurender Servers

Spanish

My present digital source is a CD player and a Mac Mini - the latter dedicated to music replay by USB into a Meridian based system ( 808 v6 / DSP 7200SE's). The Mac Mini has music that has been ripped from my CD's and play back is by Amarra and also Tidal Hifi for streaming. Control of the Mac is mainly by 'screen sharing' on a laptop but also by the Remote Ap. It presently works very well.

I do wonder if there are gains to be had from replacing the Mac Mini with a dedicated server such as Melco or Aurender. I read about "noise" that is created by using a computer such as the Mac and it's "inevitable effect on sq". At the end of the day it will be auditioning a music server but am interested in the experience and views of others.

If you are worried about noise from your mac mini upsetting your DAC there are a whole variety of little boxes that claim to clean up the USB signal. Things like the Audioquest Dragonfly, the iFiAudio iUSB, etc. iFiAudio for example have a whole range of things that they claim clean up RF and/or provide galvanic isolation. I’d try one or two such devices first to see it they made a difference to your system - they are way cheaper and simpler than changing your whole server and if you buy online you will be able to easily get your money back. I am sure it is perfectly possible for a noisy computer to affect a DAC, but I don’t believe it is necessarily the case. If it is the case you might be better off spending the money on a DAC that is less temperamental.

I have a small box by SoTM, the SMS-200. It runs Linux on hardware made only for audio - not a re-boxed Pi. SoTM also make a bunch of noise suppressing devices for computer audio.

I like mine. I'm not suggesting you will hear a difference, but it ought to provide proof of concept (or not). The SMS-200 is around £400 ish from Elite audio.

My present digital source is a CD player and a Mac Mini - the latter dedicated to music replay by USB into a Meridian based system ( 808 v6 / DSP 7200SE's). The Mac Mini has music that has been ripped from my CD's and play back is by Amarra and also Tidal Hifi for streaming. Control of the Mac is mainly by 'screen sharing' on a laptop but also by the Remote Ap. It presently works very well.

I do wonder if there are gains to be had from replacing the Mac Mini with a dedicated server such as Melco or Aurender. I read about "noise" that is created by using a computer such as the Mac and it's "inevitable effect on sq". At the end of the day it will be auditioning a music server but am interested in the experience and views of others.
No.
Keith

I have been using a MAC Mini for five years, and never had any doubt that it was quite good enough. [I used iTunes on a Windows based computers for several years before that].

AIFF files from CDs, and it is more or less just plug and play.

Over the years I had a succession of USB DACs till I found one that I consistently like. First was an Aune mini thing from China that had no business being as fine as it was. Then an Arcam rDAC, which was definitely better, but not really worth the cost over the Aune with hindsight. For eighteen months I had a Naim DAC V1, which revealed itself as not all it seemed on first acquaintance, and then I briefly used a Denon DAC that was given me. Good but no cigar. Better than the rDAC by a slim margin. More natural than the Naim.

Now I have an audiolab MDAC, bought new two years ago. That is really a good little music-box. I am not looking to change this as a competent and enjoyable source. I plan to add a new MAC Mini later this year, for the sake of redundancy/breakdown cover!

George

If you search for 'Melco' you'll find plenty of opinion in previous threads.

To my ears, the Melco is a worthwhile step-up from a Mac mini in terms of sound quality, but how you use it has to be factored in as well – for me these days file-based replay is a secondary source, so I get to the 'good enough' level reasonably quickly. The other factor is the total user experience,controlling Audirvana on an iPad using either their app or especially via iTunes integration is easy and familiar. Melco's UI software, so far as I'm aware, is still complete vapourware, so you're reliant on third-party control software, which IME is of variable quality with regard to bugginess, usability and/or aesthetic merit.

Having owned a Melco, I've since gone back to a Mac mini, but as stated it's very much a second source for me, for serious listening I prefer CD.

I've also in the past run more seriously optimised Mac minis (including external PSU etc), but it's hard to argue the incremental improvements always represent value for money.

These days I'm happy enough with Audirvana in hog mode or whatever they call it these days, a couple of Audioquest Jitterbugs and reasonably priced (relative term) Oyaide USB and FireWire cables.

The first generation Melco I had was better in terms of absolute sound quality, but the Mac's good enough for my needs in context. If I were to go back to using file-based systems as my primary source (highly unlikely) then I'd probably investigate some of the newer server options.

I've only heard a quite early model Aurender, wasn't much taken with it, ie. didn't think it was notably better than a Mac.

As you say, a home demo's probably the best way to find out for yourself.

I started comp audio with a Mac and audivarna and that was more than acceptable with a cheaper DAC (Qute ex)..

With a better DAC the sonic improvements of a better front end where clear. I compared Auralic Aries vs Aurender N100 and the latter was the choice sonically with a better UI as well. I’ve heard a Melco but not in my system. It sounded fine but the UI was crap.

Home dem always

There are several uPnP apps. you can use to access music on a Melco. The Linn Kazoo app. is excellent running on an iPad, with Minimserver installed on the Melco. Sound quality's a considerable improvement over my old Mac Mini, but then the Melco's more expensive.

I bought an ex dem Melco N1A for £1k last year. I cannot hear any significant difference using it or the AES/EBU feed from a Lindemann CDP into a Devialet, playing the same recording. I have no reservations whatsoever about it’s SQ, in fact it’s very impressive and since I’m not very clever with computers and too idle to dig out and play individual discs, it’s an ideal solution for me.

Slightly surprised by responses. Was expecting a significant 'vote' for servers such as Aurender or Melco quoting improvement in SQ and ease of use. This has not been the case.
Certainly I will be in no hurry to audition one.
As stated the Mac Mini works extremely well for me 99% of the time. Occasional glitches when I presume "software updates" are trying to be noticed. User interface is familiar and Safari often helpful in providing artwork for ripped CD's. Trials of streaming software also relatively easily enabled. I presently use and like Tidal but am going to try
Quobus

I'm undecided/open minded about a Mac mini (which is what I have used for many years now) & going over to a dedicated streamer. Ive heard the Bluesound stuff at length & I reckon its very good. Even using its own DAC sounds decent. But it's no better than a MacMini.
Plus, really, aren't all these dedicated servers really just computers anyway, with power supplies & other potential sources of distortion?
I can see why using a computer as a music source could be compromised if its also having to do regular chores expected of a household computer, but if it is there solely for accessing music from the internet/HD & then outputting it to a DAC, using Audirvana or Amarra etc, its difficult for me to think its vastly inferior to a dedicated streamer.
But then I still prefer vinyl, so hey, what do I know?

If I didn't already have a Mac Mini I'd buy a dedicated solution but since I do, I won't.

If you are worried about noise from your mac mini upsetting your DAC there are a whole variety of little boxes that claim to clean up the USB signal. Things like the Audioquest Dragonfly, the iFiAudio iUSB, etc. iFiAudio for example have a whole range of things that they claim clean up RF and/or provide galvanic isolation. I’d try one or two such devices first to see it they made a difference to your system - they are way cheaper and simpler than changing your whole server and if you buy online you will be able to easily get your money back. I am sure it is perfectly possible for a noisy computer to affect a DAC, but I don’t believe it is necessarily the case. If it is the case you might be better off spending the money on a DAC that is less temperamental.
...agreed!

I went from Naim CDX with power supply to Naim DAC ripped CDs and MacMini with Audirvana. It was a great improvement. Added a Teddy Pardo US2 and really good. Had this set up for a few years. Biggest grip was using a Mac Mini headless. I was always having to connect to a monitor etc for updates. I then took the plunge and brought an Aurender. Absolutely delighted with the server and the app to operate. Much richer sound. No digital harshness, very organic. It was a noticeable sound and user improvement.

I went from Naim CDX with power supply to Naim DAC ripped CDs and MacMini with Audirvana. It was a great improvement. Added a Teddy Pardo US2 and really good. Had this set up for a few years. Biggest grip was using a Mac Mini headless. I was always having to connect to a monitor etc for updates. I then took the plunge and brought an Aurender. Absolutely delighted with the server and the app to operate. Much richer sound. No digital harshness, very organic. It was a noticeable sound and user improvement.

Um why? I use my Mac minis headless and never need to connect a monitor. I do everything remotely using my PCs, iPhones, iPads and iTouch. No need for a monitor once the mini has been set up once. I have gone from Snow Leopard up and through other releases to El Cap and Hi Sierra all done remotely.

I use my minis via Firewire and have broken the DC +/- connections thus only the PCM stream gets into the DAC (you can't do this directly with USB) so any junk such as noise is vastly reduced. You do need a Firewire DAC though.

Cheers,

DV

To answer your question it depends if you can hear he difference, plus if you think it is worth going to a proper music server designed to play digital audio files. You also might want to consider an Innuos Zen or Zenith music server as these have proper linear power supplies (the Melco and Aurender servers only have SMPS) and the Innous are designed to provide a very low noise solution for CA. They will be a lot cheaper than the other two also.

You might want to read this:

http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/innuos-zenith-se-mkii-std-network-audio-server

Note: this is the more expensive SE model but it does go some way to describe the differences over using a normal computer.

advertisement

Back