advertisement

All purpose football thread 2023/24 Season

Back to the Premier League for the top three then. All played strong teams and made a big effort. May the best team win the league. It will be tough.

I felt really flat yesterday, which I was surprised about because the Premier League has always meant far more to be than the Champions' League. I think it was the manner of the defeat - the seeming lack of fairness that the result didn't reflect the game - but that IS sport, and is why we ALL get emotional about the game.

I am a Newport County season ticket holder.
As the Premiership clubs yesterday unilaterally announced the end of FA Cup replays, it gave me great delight to see all the English teams deposited out of Europe this week.
Being childish? Of course I am.
The loss of replays is significant for the smaller clubs - why should the rules be set to suit the PL sides, who play reserves in most rounds anyway? The moving of the final will make the FA Cup seem further diminished too a bit like the League Cup always was. It is the finale of the season and should remain that way. Coventry play ManU on Sunday having played a few more games than them across the season and with less than half of the squad size. They've looked very leggy since beating Leeds a fortnight ago. Fingers crossed!

The loss of replays is significant for the smaller clubs - why should the rules be set to suit the PL sides, who play reserves in most rounds anyway? The moving of the final will make the FA Cup seem further diminished too a bit like the League Cup always was. It is the finale of the season and should remain that way. Coventry play ManU on Sunday having played a few more games than them across the season and with less than half of the squad size. They've looked very leggy since beating Leeds a fortnight ago. Fingers crossed!
If the Premier League teams think they play too many games then perhaps it would be better to remove the European qualified teams from the League Cup and leave the FA Cup alone. Also if FA Cup relays are to be scrapped the gate reciepts (minus stadium operating costs) should go to the lower league team or split in half if both teams in the same league.

What next, scrapping relegation from the Premier League, don't bet against it with so many Americans getting involved in the Premier League.

Cheers BB

remove all prem teams from the FA cup, use all the money to have a Super FA cup for prem teams only.

Leave the FA cup to leagues below prem.

remove all prem teams from the FA cup, use all the money to have a Super FA cup for prem teams only.

Leave the FA cup to leagues below prem.
Except for the very odd occasion the PL league and FA cup are won by the money teams and more importantly any change will remove the dreams that the smaller teams will have.

Except for the very odd occasion the PL league and FA cup are won by the money teams and more importantly any change will remove the dreams that the smaller teams will have.
Quite. I think most of the teams below the premier league dream of playing against them. How else would they get to play at Anfield or Old Trafford? Leave it alone.

If the Premier League teams think they play too many games then perhaps it would be better to remove the European qualified teams from the League Cup and leave the FA Cup alone. Also if FA Cup relays are to be scrapped the gate reciepts (minus stadium operating costs) should go to the lower league team or split in half if both teams in the same league.

What next, scrapping relegation from the Premier League, don't bet against it with so many Americans getting involved in the Premier League.

Cheers BB

Ryan Reynolds says hi.

I am a Newport County season ticket holder.
As the Premiership clubs yesterday unilaterally announced the end of FA Cup replays, it gave me great delight to see all the English teams deposited out of Europe this week.
Being childish? Of course I am.
I believe one team managed to squeak through into the semi finals.

advertisement

Back