advertisement

All purpose football thread 2023/24 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do Chelsea have a striker?
Chelsea’s problems are structural rather than individual. They seem to be building a team from the ground up with mostly young players. It was one of the older players in Sterling who made the biggest mistake in taking on a shot and not passing to 3 other easy options for a fairly certain goal. Jackson is a good player but very young.

Chelsea are difficult to watch at the moment because they are not playing as a team. It’s very frustrating watching a team whose players seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Chelsea need a ‘conductor’ in midfield to direct the team more than they need a striker

Why are you so certain of that, Oldius? It was only a technicality of running out of the allocated time, that got City out of the UEFA charges.
It wasn't.
City were cleared of all charges relating to FFP, other than those relating to non-cooperation. CAS accepted City's explanation that they stopped cooperating when it was clear that information was being passed by UEFA to other parties. That is why CAS reduced the fine from 50m Euros to 10m Euros. Some elements of UEFA's case were time-barred and, to be clear, that means that the case could not be heard, NOR defended: the assumption of guilt is false.
All of this is in the public arena from CAS. Unfortunately, it is the tribal nature of the game that gives credence to inflammatory headlines atop little factual content, and the bizarre ramblings of 'hard done to' rivals who cannot accept finishing in a position beneath their entitlement.

Naturally, like most fans, I am not entirely objective; I accept that. However, my faith comes from a keen eye for detail and a willingness to prove opposition fans wrong. I have, perhaps, spent more time studying the case than most, and more than is necessarily healthy!
The PL charges were very hastily delivered and contained a plethora of errors, subsequently corrected. The rumour is that they were pushed through under pressure from three clubs: Manchester United, Arsenal, and Liverpool, who have been the driving forces behind FFP for a long time, and who have the most to lose from new entrants into the top echelons of the English game. Those clubs wield a lot of power, and carry a lot of financial threat, and the ability to leave the PL for any design of super-league of their choosing. I can understand the PL choosing the path they have, but if there are chinks in their armour, City's lawyers will, rightly, find them. It is imperative that clubs can defend themselves and that the game is conducted without undue interference. It is why City are behind an independent regulator for the PL, and were one of the only clubs to be so.

Chelsea’s problems are structural rather than individual. They seem to be building a team from the ground up with mostly young players. It was one of the older players in Sterling who made the biggest mistake in taking on a shot and not passing to 3 other easy options for a fairly certain goal. Jackson is a good player but very young.

Chelsea are difficult to watch at the moment because they are not playing as a team. It’s very frustrating watching a team whose players seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Chelsea need a ‘conductor’ in midfield to direct the team more than they need a striker
Caicedo and Fernandez not hitting the spot then despite costing over £200 million ….

It wasn't.
City were cleared of all charges relating to FFP, other than those relating to non-cooperation. CAS accepted City's explanation that they stopped cooperating when it was clear that information was being passed by UEFA to other parties. That is why CAS reduced the fine from 50m Euros to 10m Euros. Some elements of UEFA's case were time-barred and, to be clear, that means that the case could not be heard, NOR defended: the assumption of guilt is false.
All of this is in the public arena from CAS. Unfortunately, it is the tribal nature of the game that gives credence to inflammatory headlines atop little factual content, and the bizarre ramblings of 'hard done to' rivals who cannot accept finishing in a position beneath their entitlement.

Naturally, like most fans, I am not entirely objective; I accept that. However, my faith comes from a keen eye for detail and a willingness to prove opposition fans wrong. I have, perhaps, spent more time studying the case than most, and more than is necessarily healthy!
The PL charges were very hastily delivered and contained a plethora of errors, subsequently corrected. The rumour is that they were pushed through under pressure from three clubs: Manchester United, Arsenal, and Liverpool, who have been the driving forces behind FFP for a long time, and who have the most to lose from new entrants into the top echelons of the English game. Those clubs wield a lot of power, and carry a lot of financial threat, and the ability to leave the PL for any design of super-league of their choosing. I can understand the PL choosing the path they have, but if there are chinks in their armour, City's lawyers will, rightly, find them. It is imperative that clubs can defend themselves and that the game is conducted without undue interference. It is why City are behind an independent regulator for the PL, and were one of the only clubs to be so.
I guess time will tell.

I guess time will tell.
Indeed. And that is all any fan would want for their club, I think. If we are guilty, fair enough, we will take the punishment. If we are innocent, please announce it and give it just as much publicity as you have given the 115 charges.

I refer to it as the sword of rubber because, and I say this with some frivolity, I am not really arsed either way. I think most fans of fifty-plus years will feel the same, other than the natural desire to defend your club against the taunts of rival fans, because we lived through forty plus years of not a hope in hell of winning anything. The last decade has been a hugely unexpected bonus and privilege, but repeat success is not a birthright for any club.

Indeed. And that is all any fan would want for their club, I think. If we are guilty, fair enough, we will take the punishment. If we are innocent, please announce it and give it just as much publicity as you have given the 115 charges.

I refer to it as the sword of rubber because, and I say this with some frivolity, I am not really arsed either way. I think most fans of fifty-plus years will feel the same, other than the natural desire to defend your club against the taunts of rival fans, because we lived through forty plus years of not a hope in hell of winning anything. The last decade has been a hugely unexpected bonus and privilege, but repeat success is not a birthright for any club.
I wasn't trying to be contrary with my question. I genuinely wondered why you were so very adamant about the possible outcome, you've made this comment on many occasions, when as Robert has stated before, and others have poked the finger, we don't really know what the guts of these charges are. I know we have a gist, but what weight they have, we will see in time. I've seen some documentaries about the UEFA charges, and some aspects were a bit sketchy, but people will always use a documentary or a report that belly rubs your/their agenda, it's just the way of the world, i guess.

I think this is more balanced article and also indicates that pressure came from nine EPL clubs https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...city-over-sponsor-money-time-barred-cas-rules
There is no need to read any article because the report from CAS is freely available: all journalists will put a spin on the judgement as clickbait - hence the misleading headlines.

The three clubs I mentioned were in relation to the PL charges, not FFP. It is fact, as you highlight, that nine clubs were behind FFP, though it is understood that the three clubs pushing the PL made collective approaches to others in the Premier League to gain FFP support.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back