advertisement

All purpose football thread 2023/24 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aymeric Laporte has now officially joined Al Nassr, joining Riyad Mahrez out in Saudi, and adding to Gundogan and Cancelo leaving the club.They are big players to replace, but all have reached the end of their time. The only one I am disappointed to lose is Gundo, but he is approaching 33 and will shortly decline; better for him to leave on such a high. Laporte is a really good defender, but apparently had fallen out of favour. I suspect he wanted more game time but there are no guarantees to anyone, and if you are not happy with that (and show it) Pep will let you know it. Cancelo also was a sulker when not picked and has apparently been a problem for Pep since 2021. Again, probably time to go.

The signing of Jeremy Doku is likely to be announced on Friday. He looks a little raw, but damned explosive with incredible dribbling stats. He will offer another outlet for us and different to what we have. I think there will be more to add to Doku, Gvardiol and Kovacic but we shall see.

Teams from Israel and some central Asian republics play in UEFA competitions already, Saudi teams will probably play in the CL before Everton do again :(
Seems like the definition of ‘European’ is widening as we speak. However, is that a bad thing? Maybe an ideological border is better than a geographical one?

Professional ref too scared to make a decision because his mate had ‘taken a lot of grief already’…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66612570
I remember it well as it was only last season.
Dean/Taylor basically stole 2 points from Chelsea that day as what should have been a red card for Romero and a free kick to Chelsea went unpunished and Spurs scored from the resulting corner.
Shame the BBC can't even get the detail right - how could it be a penalty to Chelsea when the incident took place in their penalty area from a Spurs corner.:rolleyes:

Apparently Raheem Sterling is now in scintillating form and absolutely back to his best according to several newspapers.
This on the back of his performance against West Ham where despite Chelsea losing he was the standout player on the pitch by a mile.
Sadly I'm struggling to remember the last time he played well before that so I'll be needing a bit more evidence which hopefully will be provided against the mighty Luton this evening.

Apparently Raheem Sterling is now in scintillating form and absolutely back to his best according to several newspapers.
This on the back of his performance against West Ham where despite Chelsea losing he was the standout player on the pitch by a mile.
Sadly I'm struggling to remember the last time he played well before that so I'll be needing a bit more evidence which hopefully will be provided against the mighty Luton this evening.
;)

How about now, is he scintillating enough for you this evening sir? Twisting one way and then another like a whirling dervish is he sir? Anyway I’m pleased for the lad considering the grief he got last season from the auld Chelski winkers. Poche has got em organised and playing exciting stuff, I might start thinking about how I am going to spend my winnings come the end of the season.

Sterling has scored an excellent goal and Chelsea are 1-0 up at half time.
I hope Poch had a good team talk because since that goal Chelsea have shown very little in terms of creativity - lots of passive possession but little else.
The team needs to push on and score a second as clean sheets are a rarity.

Chilwell should have shot when he was on the penalty spot in possession.
Not offering a lot going forward apart from Sterling.

Sterling was on fire tonight. Also, i was pleased that Jackson got his goal, he has played well without reward, thus far. One other thing, whenever i see the Chelsea badge, i just think of the Panini sticker albums, when they introduced the foil badges, ah, memory lane. :)

All in all a decent performance and a fully deserved 3 points in what was Chelsea's first PL home victory since early March.
I like what Poch is doing with the team and the players all seem to be buying into it.
If we can just find that killer instinct in front of goal we'll be pushing for a European place come the end of the season.

Nice performance overall, but still looked vulnerable at 1 - 0. I think we need a few more results and a few more goals for some confidence to build in what is still a very young team.

With no left full back cover now Luke Shaw is injured United are looking at signing 34 year old free agent Ryan Bertrand who left Leicester last season.

Ca plane pour moi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back