advertisement

All purpose football thread 2022/23 Season

I was at Anfield. A good game, close, but Liverpool had the better chances overall. WHU might have got something from the game, but Alisson made a great penalty save.

His contributions in these past two games probably won’t stop City winning the league but they might prove pivotal in terms of where Liverpool finish.

Liverpool looked jittery from the highlights, got away with it I thought. Can’t seem to to put the game to bed when in charge of the game. Didn’t think it was a penalty though.

For a 0-0 draw the Chelsea/Brentford game was a good watch with neither team deserving to lose.
Chelsea look a bit of a shambles at the back with a great big Rudiger sized hole in the middle - fortunately Kepa is playing out of his skin at the moment.
Broja looks like he could be the real deal up front - unbelievably quick for a big lad.

I hope a couple of var decisions went against the whingers today, the reaction of klip klop will be hilarious. Wondering whether that would also bring out a couple here who usually appear when they win, should they break cover for a moan. :D

We played well yesterday but got the expected nil points. 50% possession at the Etihad!

Trossard was terrific again. We've got a real fight on our hands to try and keep him in January if he has a good World Cup. Both Chelsea and Newcastle have connections.

Was Haarland's first goal legitimate? He shoved Webster in the back. He did the same to Dunk later on and the ref blew for a foul. He must be an absolute monster as both our centre backs are big blokes.

Also f*** VAR. If it was an obvious error the VAR would have seen it straight away, not over 2 minutes later. We had a chance to score during those two minutes, I guess that would have been disallowed, now that would have been controversial. Has that happened yet?

We played well yesterday but got the expected nil points. 50% possession at the Etihad!

Trossard was terrific again. We've got a real fight on our hands to try and keep him in January if he has a good World Cup. Both Chelsea and Newcastle have connections.

Was Haarland's first goal legitimate? He shoved Webster in the back. He did the same to Dunk later on and the ref blew for a foul. He must be an absolute monster as both our centre backs are big blokes.

Also f*** VAR. If it was an obvious error the VAR would have seen it straight away, not over 2 minutes later. We had a chance to score during those two minutes, I guess that would have been disallowed, now that would have been controversial. Has that happened yet?
Just watched the highlights. Haarland was a push for me but he definitely should have had a penalty & your keeper could have been carded. Just no excuse for getting such decisions wrong in the age of VAR.

Chelsea/Man U game was an absolute borefest yesterday with both sides looking more concerned about losing than going for it although Man U had some good chances in the 1st half.
Hopefully this will be the last time that Potter tries Cucurella in a back three - I'd prefer to see him much further up the pitch.
I was amazed that Kovacic was only a sub - not really sure why Potter gets credit for bringing on a player after half an hour who should always be in the starting line-up - funny old game.
I'm consistently underwhelmed by Sterling - time for Pulisic to be given more game time.

Chelsea/Man U game was an absolute borefest yesterday with both sides looking more concerned about losing than going for it although Man U had some good chances in the 1st half.
Hopefully this will be the last time that Potter tries Cucurella in a back three - I'd prefer to see him much further up the pitch.
I was amazed that Kovacic was only a sub - not really sure why Potter gets credit for bringing on a player after half an hour who should always be in the starting line-up - funny old game.
I'm consistently underwhelmed by Sterling - time for Pulisic to be given more game time.
We looked more like a back five for the first half hour.

We looked more like a back five for the first half hour.
That's true!
I don't know whether it's me but I find us quite boring to watch at times.
I'd hoped that with the introduction of Potter we might see less of the sideways and backwards passing but it seemed at times as if we were obsessed with not getting done on the break again like last season.
To be fair it's still early days for him and he's still learning about the players.

That's true!
I don't know whether it's me but I find us quite boring to watch at times.
I'd hoped that with the introduction of Potter we might see less of the sideways and backwards passing but it seemed at times as if we were obsessed with not getting done on the break again like last season.
To be fair it's still early days for him and he's still learning about the players.
Yes, tend to agree, though on a positive note, I like the way Potter is willing to change things without waiting until forever (Conte and Ancelotti), and the fact that he is willing to change means that we can speed things up if necessary. We played good football against Milan, maybe we just need time to find the right balance

It took a couple of years for the penny to drop with Potterball.

When Cucurella played on the left of the three for us (while Webster was out) he still played like a wingback and spent more time in the attacking half.

When Cucurella played on the left of the three for us (while Webster was out) he still played like a wingback and spent more time in the attacking half.
I don't think the midfield of Chelsea offer enough protection to allow him to do that - maybe when Kanté returns but sadly that's a few months away.

True, but Brighton are more often going to be facing teams that will come on to them, creating space behind for Cucurella to exploit. Teams are more likely to sit back against Chelsea, reducing the space to exploit.

advertisement

Back