advertisement

All purpose football thread 2022/23 Season

Can't work out this fervent club loyalty thing. Foreign owners, foreign managers and, mostly, foreign players. Or if not foreign, at least not 'local'. Unlike the Bundesliga.

Can't work out this fervent club loyalty thing. Foreign owners, foreign managers and, mostly, foreign players. Or if not foreign, at least not 'local'. Unlike the Bundesliga.
If it's in you, and you were born with it, raised with it, and your club has given you massive pleasure for your lifetime, then it is totally understandable.

I see JK has all but given up on the title race, that’s quite a statement he made and won’t inspire the team I would have thought. Really don’t understand what is going on a Liverpool, did last season really take that much out of them…odd. Still we beat Oxford away which was a welcome win after the last three results.

I see JK has all but given up on the title race, that’s quite a statement he made and won’t inspire the team I would have thought. Really don’t understand what is going on a Liverpool, did last season really take that much out of them…odd. Still we beat Oxford away which was a welcome win after the last three results.

I think there are a number of factors. Last season, going for all the trophies and then losing the two main ones in the last week of the season, will have been mentally and physically draining. A failure to address the issues in central midfield: with the best will in the world, Henderson and Milner are not elite players. The loss of Mane, a devastatingly effective player who could link the midfield and attack and finish. Big money on an unproven striker, who is under pressure from the start because of ill-judged comparisons with Haaland. Looking at the Liverpool forum, the blame seems to be on to FSG, who the fans accuse of failing to invest enough to compete. To be fair, the fans are not going to blame Klopp, who is a club hero.

It would be nice to hear a Liverpool fan view. City did have a similarly poor start a few years ago and went on to win the league but there is more strength across a greater number of teams now.

Very true - if I were Liverpool (or Chelsea for that matter) I'd be more concerned with finishing in the top 4.

Tottenham, Arsenal, Chelsea, City, Newcastle, United...I don't think it is going to be easy at all.

Tottenham, Arsenal, Chelsea, City, Newcastle, United...I don't think it is going to be easy at all.
Personally I wouldn't include Newcastle in that group just yet but I take the point.
It's early days but it looks like Spu*s, Chelsea, Liverpool & United are going to be fighting it out for 3rd & 4th.

Personally I wouldn't include Newcastle in that group just yet but I take the point.
It's early days but it looks like Spu*s, Chelsea, Liverpool & United are going to be fighting it out for 3rd & 4th.

Sorry, I was talking about who, including Liverpool, I expected to be in or around the European places. It is a tough group and top 4, this season especially (World Cup) is going to be tough.

I think there are a number of factors. Last season, going for all the trophies and then losing the two main ones in the last week of the season, will have been mentally and physically draining. A failure to address the issues in central midfield: with the best will in the world, Henderson and Milner are not elite players. The loss of Mane, a devastatingly effective player who could link the midfield and attack and finish. Big money on an unproven striker, who is under pressure from the start because of ill-judged comparisons with Haaland. Looking at the Liverpool forum, the blame seems to be on to FSG, who the fans accuse of failing to invest enough to compete. To be fair, the fans are not going to blame Klopp, who is a club hero.

It would be nice to hear a Liverpool fan view. City did have a similarly poor start a few years ago and went on to win the league but there is more strength across a greater number of teams now.

I think you've pretty much nailed it to be fair. The biggest factor for me is an ageing and slowing midfield, and our inability to recruit proven quality into those positions. I read yesterday that since we won the Champions League the only central midfielders we've recruited have been Thiago (aged 30) and Arthur Melo (loanee - and made of biscuits). Can't see us getting near Bellingham, certainly not if we don't finish top 4.

On the topic of Nunez, I also agree that the comparisons with Haaland (if they are being made) are unfair; EBH is basically already the finished article and was nailed on to hit the ground running and be devastatingly effective from the off. He's been a regular starter (and scoring for fun) in one of the best teams in one of the most competitive leagues in the world since he was about 19. I understand people will compare the transfer fees, but even they are a false comparison.

So in a season that will be split in two for the World and one in which some teams still have to rearrange matches which were postponed after the death of the monarch it's just been announced that the Coronation will be on 6th May 2023. That's a day with a full fixture list. Nothing official but I suspect further fixture rearrangement will be required?

So in a season that will be split in two for the World and one in which some teams still have to rearrange matches which were postponed after the death of the monarch it's just been announced that the Coronation will be on 6th May 2023. That's a day with a full fixture list. Nothing official but I suspect further fixture rearrangement will be required?

I very much doubt Charlie boy watches football...

6 minutes 12 seconds. Quickest ever Champions League hat-trick.

Rangers heaviest ever defeat. 1-7.

It's been a quirky season.

My Nephew is a referee, he is so glad that he can choose not to ref youth and children's matches anymore. He has been spat at, punched, been physically threatened - by parents....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63245170

I knew parents were an issue with children's football, some of the mothers are really aggressive, but I did not realise it was that bad. no idea how to improve the situation or is it too late?

advertisement

Back