advertisement

All purpose football thread 2022/23 Season

I remember being at a Leinster vs Clermont Auvergne semi-final in Dublin in the Heineken Cup in the mid 2000's. The Clermont fans were incredibly noisy and colourful. Absolutely no sense of fear, intimidation just a great atmosphere. Compared to us dull as ditch water Leinster fans these people were a joy to mingle with. Football fans are just a different breed. My one and only attendance at a Blackburn v Leeds game in the championship was kinda scary particularly outside the ground. I have seen enough footage on TV and Youtube to ensure I would give attending a soccer game in the UK a miss. Foaming at the mouth fifty plus men are not a pretty sight. The venom and aggression is alien to me. Like a different planet.

For Leeds this year I just hope they manage to stay well clear of a relegation fight. It seems to be a lottery in terms of buying in players hoping that they gel enough to propel you up the league to new dizzy heights. From afar it is fairly obvious that there are two leagues within the premiership. Leeds a firmly in the also rans section. Without some magic money that can't change.
I agree with you about everything apart from Leeds, I would prefer a last day relegation with tears from the crowd;)

Looking forward to City winning the CL this season so Bob and Oldius etc can metaphorically throw their winners medals away in disgust and ruminate on how shite City really are.

Looking forward to City winning the CL this season so Bob and Oldius etc can metaphorically throw their winners medals away in disgust and ruminate on how shite City really are.

I think it's hard for some fans to understand that City fans are less bothered about the CL than the PL but it is the case. I was born in 1968, so it was the 44th year of my life before we won the league. To win it from where we had been was an utter joy and, naturally, that it provided the greatest PL moment in history is one that cannot be replaced. If you haven't grown up with success, your priorities are not the same, and fans who are used to success cannot grasp it and have a hard time dealing with our ambivalence towards it (the CL), especially while they yearn for success once more.

Of course, the tribalism in the game means that many rival fans wish to use the CL as a stick to beat us with so it must grate that we really don't care too much, in the main.

Last edited:
Yes, I know that's a thing among a minority of City supporters but...we all know you would be the first on here to trumpet a CL win. No sane fan would turn their noses up at a CL trophy.

PS What news on the La Liga case?
Ah, the one man war.
Tebas is truly a fascination: he presides over a league that carved up TV revenues for the benefit of two clubs at the expense of others. He allowed those two clubs to smash transfer records continuously and break wage records, while also being convicted of receiving illegal state support. Now that one of those clubs is so infested with debt that it cannot compete in the transfer market, he throws his toys out of the pram. He is an embarrassment and, if he believes he has a case, bring it on.

Newcastle last won the league in 1927, my dad was 5 and my mother wasn’t born. :)

And that is why I am so interested in seeing your development and I would be surprised if your priority is not also the PL.

It’ll be an interesting season as it appears both of last years top two may have some refurbishment going on. I’m not convinced that Phillips is a City player, he doesn’t look strong enough in possession. Interesting times.

It’ll be an interesting season as it appears both of last years top two may have some refurbishment going on. I’m not convinced that Phillips is a City player, he doesn’t look strong enough in possession. Interesting times.

It is rare that we get it wrong in the transfer market these days.

It is rare that we get it wrong in the transfer market these days.

This is true, would it have been greedy to wish we’d bought Luis Dias? He looks a bargain to me. I’m also quite willing to barricade the Etihad trading ground to stop Silva leaving. Unless we get as much as Liverpool got for Coutinho of course.

I think most fans would rather win the league than the CL. Obviously Liverpool fans feel it sets them apart as a bit special compared to other domestic clubs but they also prevented other clubs competing in Europe for many years.

Football fans are nothing if not tribal. If I was a City fan I would be obsessed by chasing down Utd’s league record. A long way to go mind.

This is true, would it have been greedy to wish we’d bought Luis Dias? He looks a bargain to me. I’m also quite willing to barricade the Etihad trading ground to stop Silva leaving. Unless we get as much as Liverpool got for Coutinho of course.

No matter how good Bernardo is, we are not getting 1.73 billion for him.
As for Dias, he looked great in the few games he played. I always prefer to judge in the longer term as I have seen too many players burn brightly and then fade, and also ones who begin more slowly, Rodri being a great example, who go on to burn brightest of all.

I will, it’s the best league in the world & a perfect fit for Huddersfield. Unlike some we have no delusions of grandeur or entitlement.
Err best league in the world, let me stop pissing myself laughing. For what it's worth i despise the playoffs. In my book you finished 3rd therefore should have been promoted. 3down 3up surely,but we fans have no say just get rinsed.

I think most fans would rather win the league than the CL. Obviously Liverpool fans feel it sets them apart as a bit special compared to other domestic clubs but they also prevented other clubs competing in Europe for many years.

Football fans are nothing if not tribal. If I was a City fan I would be obsessed by chasing down Utd’s league record. A long way to go mind.

Honestly, chasing them down has never once entered my head. I am happy with our success but I know we are lucky and it is unlikely to be permanent. I am also happy that United are struggling, because they tormented City fans for years even though we were nowhere near competing with them. I love watching Mark Goldberg's utter meltdowns now - such joy.

I also think it is something to do with winning one league in thirty years - why wouldn't you then laud the CL as being the bigger achievement? I think that is the natural reaction of a football fan, in some respects.

Err best league in the world, let me stop pissing myself laughing. For what it's worth i despise the playoffs. In my book you finished 3rd therefore should have been promoted. 3down 3up surely,but we fans have no say just get rinsed.
It is certainly the most competitive & unpredictable. I find the EPL rather boring, quite like watching the top teams but most of the fans are insufferable.

The play offs are not going away, it’s worked for us in the past but not this year.

I don’t see the fun in hoping you win 10 games in order to stay up.

I agree with you about everything apart from Leeds, I would prefer a last day relegation with tears from the crowd;)

:DMy Mammy tells me to always turn the other cheek. Knowing Leeds though you may get your wish. Pity Huddersfield didn't make it, can't see Carlos repeating the 'success' this year. Hoping we get a swap deal for Lewis O'Brien with us giving you Tyler Roberts and £5.

:DMy Mammy tells me to always turn the other cheek. Knowing Leeds though you may get your wish. Pity Huddersfield didn't make it, can't see Carlos repeating the 'success' this year. Hoping we get a swap deal for Lewis O'Brien with us giving you Tyler Roberts and £5.
I think we’ll finish in the top half & I am ok with that. Season after playoffs is always tough.

Thankfully Leeds can’t afford O’Brien, reckon he’s off to West Ham.

advertisement

Back