advertisement

All purpose football thread 2022/23 Season

The main threat to De Gea's future at Man U remains the combination of his poor distribution with his feet and Ten Hag's desire to play out from the back. When that is combined with the odd clanger (especially those involving his footwork) it don't look good.

The main threat to De Gea's future at Man U remains the combination of his poor distribution with his feet and Ten Hag's desire to play out from the back. When that is combined with the odd clanger (especially those involving his footwork) it don't look good.

Good point, when De Gea cleared the ball in the cup final, it seemed to result in Man City possession.

Good point, when De Gea cleared the ball in the cup final, it seemed to result in Man City possession.
He was punting it long a lot - of course there's joint responsibility among the defenders and midfielders but there was more than one instance when Casemiro was not pleased after dropping deep for a pass and De Gea booted it - which often resulted in more City possession.
This is where I also have sympathy for him - he's not a footballer (and confidence has suffered from previous trauma such as the Seville game) and has struggled to meet Ten Hag's style. Not his fault but it's tough at the top.
Oh and Red Cafe forum was pretty brutal in it's judgement afterwards...if that's replicated across the fanbase could get ugly...

I'm sure i read a few weeks back that the club will decide on Moyes future, after the final, so it looks like his future isn't certain with the club, even though he got West Ham to their first European final in over 40 years.. i bet the same people were dancing and hugging Moyes last night, football is sickening at times.
To counter what you are saying, Moyes was given the best part of £200m to spend and club was flirting with relegation for most of last season.
I personally am no fan of the owners but they did back him with what is a lot of money.

The football was less than inspiring and remember we did lose 20 matches.

That shouldnt be happening.

People pay good money to watch that week in week out so I think you can forgive supporters for feeling miffed.

Question marks over some of the signings....Why the hell did he buy Scamacca if his aim was to play him as a lone striker for example?
The bloke played in a two when Moyes bought him (with Raspadori at Sassuolo), this is the reason he scored a potload of goals in Serie A.

His inability to have a plan b when the chips are down is also questionable.

Don't get me wrong, winning a trophy is unbelievable and David Moyes has overall done a fabulous job.
For that the fanbase will be eternally grateful.

The question for many will be has he taken us as far as he can himself?

Congrats to West Ham. Good to see Moyes dancing on the pitch after the game. Hopefully, he will survive to guide WH to the final of the Europa Cup and then the CL. Bowen has more trophies than Kane :D

PS See Newcastle's longest-serving fan is still obsessing about United. Plus ça change...

To counter what you are saying, Moyes was given the best part of £200m to spend and club was flirting with relegation for most of last season.
I personally am no fan of the owners but they did back him with what is a lot of money.

The football was less than inspiring and remember we did lose 20 matches.

That shouldnt be happening.

People pay good money to watch that week in week out so I think you can forgive supporters for feeling miffed.

Question marks over some of the signings....Why the hell did he buy Scamacca if his aim was to play him as a lone striker for example?
The bloke played in a two when Moyes bought him (with Raspadori at Sassuolo), this is the reason he scored a potload of goals in Serie A.

His inability to have a plan b when the chips are down is also questionable.

Don't get me wrong, winning a trophy is unbelievable and David Moyes has overall done a fabulous job.
For that the fanbase will be eternally grateful.

The question for many will be has he taken us as far as he can himself?

My problem isn't with the fans, it never is. People pay top dollar to watch Premier League football these days, they watch the football on offer week in, week out, and have every right to their opinion. I know it must have been frustrating to be a West Ham supporter this season, as an outsider, i kept expecting, in all honesty, for Moyes and the team to turn it around, but reading your assessment, it was never likely to happen. The one thing i would say, is that 200m doesn't buy you much these days, unless you gamble on bargains, which are more open to fail as well as succeed.

My problem isn't with the fans, it never is. People pay top dollar to watch Premier League football these days, they watch the football on offer week in, week out, and have every right to their opinion. I know it must have been frustrating to be a West Ham supporter this season, as an outsider, i kept expecting, in all honesty, for Moyes and the team to turn it around, but reading your assessment, it was never likely to happen. The one thing i would say, is that 200m doesn't buy you much these days, unless you gamble on bargains, which are more open to fail as well as succeed.
Depends how you spend it. Newcastle bought a top class goalkeeper and an entire new back 4 for the price of Harry ' I play for manure ' Maguire, and had one of the best defensive records in the PL last season.

Depends how you spend it. Newcastle bought a top class goalkeeper and an entire new back 4 for the price of Harry ' I play for manure ' Maguire, and had one of the best defensive records in the PL last season.
Yes they did and played some very attractive football with it too.

It do help that Eddie Howe is a progressive, modern thinking manager as well.

Going back to the Scamacca signing, he was £30m - Why on earth sign him if you've no intention of playing a man alongside him though?
That's not a gamble, that's a sheer waste of money.....Fitting square pegs etc.....

And you think that is OK, then? That makes you part of the problem, IMO.
I never ever said that I personally ever called players out nor did I ever say it was ok.
You are so wrong and have just made an assumption.
I have been watching football in numerous grounds for probably a lot longer than you and have never been able to confuse the event with venues for tennis, cricket, croquet.
Do you seriously expect any one in a crowd to spot someone walking to the front of the stand and exclaim look at that rascal!!...I will just have a word?
I

My issue, pretty much always, is with the media. It is my opinion that Manchester United players, and Liverpool players, are promoted beyond their ability levels, and DeGea is one who was repeatedly referred to as the best in the world. Fernandes is another who was proclaimed as DeBruyne level when he is nowhere near it. Nunez as good as Haaland is another. The papers do it because those clubs, traditionally, have generated more revenue for articles than other clubs. I don't blame their clubs, nor the players, but if you believed in the hype, it would be difficult to progress as a player. The Daily Mail's sports pages are dominated by United stories, with seemingly minor gossip becoming headline news, and I think is counterproductive from a sporting perspective, if not from a brand one.

My issue, pretty much always, is with the media. It is my opinion that Manchester United players, and Liverpool players, are promoted beyond their ability levels, and DeGea is one who was repeatedly referred to as the best in the world. Fernandes is another who was proclaimed as DeBruyne level when he is nowhere near it. Nunez as good as Haaland is another. The papers do it because those clubs, traditionally, have generated more revenue for articles than other clubs. I don't blame their clubs, nor the players, but if you believed in the hype, it would be difficult to progress as a player. The Daily Mail's sports pages are dominated by United stories, with seemingly minor gossip becoming headline news, and I think is counterproductive from a sporting perspective, if not from a brand one.

In which case I suggest you don’t read the DM. Admit to not cheering on the English team in Europe tonight, for the first time ever probably, as the youngest supports Internationale although having watched them a fair bit this season, it is difficult to see an upset. They will have to keep a clean sheet until well into the second half, and certainly longer than Man U did last week, to stand a chance.

In which case I suggest you don’t read the DM. Admit to not cheering on the English team in Europe tonight, for the first time ever probably, as the youngest supports Internationale although having watched them a fair bit this season, it is difficult to see an upset. They will have to keep a clean sheet until well into the second half, and certainly longer than Man U did last week, to stand a chance.

I would be supporting my son's team too, if I wasn't a City fan. Do you live out there or have a connection?

@oldius my two points.

1. I want Citeh to win the proper treble because I'm fed up of all the other supporters going on about sports washing and FFP. This treble is about the football and for the supporters who were there in the dark times.

2. Haaland is streets ahead of anyone when we are talking about an eye for goal, but Nunez is streets ahead of him in raw skill. Haaland might come on as an all rounder but it remains to be seen if he gets above the Van Nistelrooy level of all round skill.

Up the Citeh and on to the real treble.

advertisement

Back