advertisement

All purpose football thread 2021-2022 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
You watched a different game from me then, they had 4 efforts in the whole 95 mins and Lloris wasn't asked to do much.... Loads of possession as is normal but lost to a better team with a game plan today as Micah said in the summary
Maybe check the time that I posted that comment - City missed two gilt edged chances in the first 10 minutes.;)

37 games to play, just taking it one match at a time...

THB, I could see that result coming. We started poorly last season but still won the league pretty comfortably. Still think Chelsea are favourites out of the suspected four (Man C, Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool) likely to challenge for the title.

We started poorly last season but still won the league pretty comfortably.
I don't think you'll be afforded that luxury this season.
Both Chelsea and Liverpool were poor in the league last season (for different reasons) meaning Man U were the main challengers and they never really got close to you.
With a bench of over 350 mill yesterday and saint Harry allegedly on his way you still have to be the red hot favourites.;)

I don't think you'll be afforded that luxury this season.
Both Chelsea and Liverpool were poor in the league last season (for different reasons) meaning Man U were the main challengers and they never really got close to you.
With a bench of over 350 mill yesterday and saint Harry allegedly on his way you still have to be the red hot favourites.;)
No, you’re the favourites. Best team in Europe, (grab a goal, park the bus). ;)

It will be very tight and there are several issues this season, as there were last season, that could compromise the performance of all the top teams, especially at the beginning of the year. In Liverpool and United's favour, especially, is their willingness to sacrifice cup competitions for the glory of a league win. This will place fewer demands on their squads and could be a big factor. I have not heard anyone but Liverpool fans say that they have been written off; it is a bizarre claim. City have given their players a month off. Given we had more involved in the Euros than any other PL team, that will be an issue at the beginning of the season, and was yesterday. Spurs away, for us, is always a tough game and we have a recurring vulnerability to pacy counter-attacking football because of the high line. Key in that is to have high energy pressing from the front, to retain possession, and some pace at the back. The absence of Foden, KDB, Jesus and Bernardo compromised the former; Mendy's loss of possession created three counter-attacks and Walker's absence lost some pace at the back. Most teams are not capable of exploiting that as well as Spurs are so well done to them. We will not be out of the blocks quickly this year - we had cancelled pre-season games and only got some players back on Tuesday; it's our own strategy so we cannot complain but we will be grateful not to be too far behind by the end of October, or at least I will be.

maybe Pep should have started three of the four who were missed? City looked dominant when KDB and Jesus came on tho still didn't test Lloris much. The battle between Tanganga and Sterling/Grealish seemed key with the Spurs defender appearing to win out yesterday, in part due to the ref seeming to let a lot of things go that wouldn't have happened last season - just a thought? Sanchez, Højbjerg and Moura were good too and Bergwijn should have finished the game after an hour. Son was his usual excellent self but seemed to lack confidence to take the last man on in the first half - in the second he did and I suspect Dias caused Ederson a problem with his positioning as I couldn't see the GK being beaten at that distance in truth.... it was a good game to watch for the neutral

A decent headline in The Sun:

"GREALLY RICH. Man City field most expensive team in history that cost £530m – and they paid incredible £300m for the subs"

And another £130million for Kane to come. Pep was trying to defend his nation-state employers in the press by comparing City to Chelsea. Not sure the Chelsea fans will welcome that equivalence.

Decent opening weekend I thought - crowds, lots of goals, some really good matches and it seems enlightened refereeing. Games seemed a bit rougher and more fluid, with fewer stops for players falling over at the merest hint of contact. Even the off-side lines have been fattened up. Long may it continue.

Pep was once asked how his all-conquering Barcelona team could be beaten. He replied something along the lines of...opposing teams need to go after them for every one of the 90 minutes; essentially take them on in every area of the pitch. Apart from the first 20 minutes, thought Spurs did that to City especially in the second half.

A decent headline in The Sun:

"GREALLY RICH. Man City field most expensive team in history that cost £530m – and they paid incredible £300m for the subs"

And another £130million for Kane to come. Pep was trying to defend his nation-state employers in the press by comparing City to Chelsea. Not sure the Chelsea fans will welcome that equivalence.

Decent opening weekend I thought - crowds, lots of goals, some really good matches and it seems enlightened refereeing. Games seemed a bit rougher and more fluid, with fewer stops for players falling over at the merest hint of contact. Even the off-side lines have been fattened up. Long may it continue.

Pep was once asked how his all-conquering Barcelona team could be beaten. He replied something along the lines of...opposing teams need to go after them for every one of the 90 minutes; essentially take them on in every area of the pitch. Apart from the first 20 minutes, thought Spurs did that to City especially in the second half.

It is bizarre to me as a City fan. United have been this window's biggest spenders and Chelsea the biggest in the last. I am not criticising either Chelsea or United here but the hypocrisy knows no bounds - this is a news organisation that maximises the tension of deadline day, creates hysteria about big deals and then shouts ambition for some clubs and greed for others. Fan tribalism laps it up, of course, as we oft see here.

maybe Pep should have started three of the four who were missed? City looked dominant when KDB and Jesus came on tho still didn't test Lloris much. The battle between Tanganga and Sterling/Grealish seemed key with the Spurs defender appearing to win out yesterday, in part due to the ref seeming to let a lot of things go that wouldn't have happened last season - just a thought? Sanchez, Højbjerg and Moura were good too and Bergwijn should have finished the game after an hour. Son was his usual excellent self but seemed to lack confidence to take the last man on in the first half - in the second he did and I suspect Dias caused Ederson a problem with his positioning as I couldn't see the GK being beaten at that distance in truth.... it was a good game to watch for the neutral

It was a big surprise to see KDB on the bench - he must have passed a very late fitness test.
The others arrived back on Tuesday so he had a choice to make.
The right-back was superb but definitely, a booking would have made a difference. Still, you have to deal with those things.

It is bizarre to me as a City fan. United have been this window's biggest spenders and Chelsea the biggest in the last. I am not criticising either Chelsea or United here but the hypocrisy knows no bounds - this is a news organisation that maximises the tension of deadline day, creates hysteria about big deals and then shouts ambition for some clubs and greed for others. Fan tribalism laps it up, of course, as we oft see here.
A couple of observations:-
The window is not yet shut and I suspect by the time it is City's spending will have leapfrogged United's.

Chelsea's spend in the last window came off the back of being banned from the preceding 3 (I think) - so not really a very fair argument.

As you were..............;)

A couple of observations:-
The window is not yet shut and I suspect by the time it is City's spending will have leapfrogged United's.

Chelsea's spend in the last window came off the back of being banned from the preceding 3 (I think) - so not really a very fair argument.

As you were..............;)

The facts never get in the way though. I know Liverpool always win the net spend trophy but City have sold 60m of players this season already.

Not sure why it's bizarre, City have been the biggest net spenders over the last five years in the PL. Since 2009/10, they have to been the biggest net spenders across Europe (ahead of Barca in second). And City have a bottomless pit of wealth at their disposal as they are essentially backed by a country. Still no CL Cup though; maybe this is the year.

I don’t particularly like the way City & Chelsea use their wealth to buy up seemingly any & all promising players only to farm them out.

I don’t really buy the net spend argument either; the players that City talk about have taken up investment, been paid lavishly etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back