advertisement

All purpose football thread 2021-2022 season II

And yet your “best team” in England keep shitting the bed in the latter stages of the competition. Strange.

Yes, we are the best team in England but 'shitting the bed' is subjective: anything can happen in cup competitions. Personally, I am fairly ambivalent about the CL - I will be happy if we win it but I am always happy if we win. I would absolutely welcome a competition for only the champions of each European nation, as it was back in the day.

Winning the CL is a great feeling but at the end of the day it's a cup and very often not won by the best team in Europe.

Milan’s 2005 CL Final XI: Dida, Cafu, Nesta, Stam, Maldini, Pirlo, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Shevchenko, Crespo

Are you suggesting any of those names would get in Liverpool’s team that day, ahead of the likes of Djimi Traoré and a crocked Harry Kewell?

Oh dear...

We seem to be going around in circles as ever about the standing of the clubs we support.

How about realising that we are seeing a level of football that we have never seen before. We have players who are outstanding, e.g. Salah's goal against City, was pure class. I always like to have a league where no one runs away with top spot. Next season, we should have 6 teams who are going to be capable of beating each other. Even Man U aren't going to be as bad as they have this season.......

And yet your “best team” in England keep shitting the bed in the latter stages of the competition. Strange.
Your cup team is great in ten game tournaments but just don’t have the character for marathons.
They bottle it time after time.
One title in 30 years and their last two cups won without scoring a goal in the games.
Risible.
Let’s hope they remember their inhalers next week.

Of course Liverpool haven't used financial muscle to buy the best players at all have they? Oh wait a minute...VVD £75m; Alisson £50m etc.

think you’ll find that both were funded via Barcelona - they bought Coutinho for £142 M allegedly - Juergen Klopp’s greatest coup

If you win the CL but you are not your league winner, you are simply not the best team in Europe.
The record books would disagree now that the top 4 of each league are included - city are a great team but do blow it every year it seems? Pep seems to overthink it … substituting KDB for example … the leagues best & most influential player

It was interesting that in a similar way to Real Madrids comeback occurring after KDB substitution, Man C did the same once Courtinhio went off at the weekend for Villa. Regarding the CL final, if the game was being played a month earlier, I think Liverpools midfield would have won the game for them easily but they have ran out of steam and fitness but it does feel like RMs name has already been etched on the trophy as they had quite a lot of good fortune against Chelsea and Man C in the previous rounds.

Oh dear...

We seem to be going around in circles as ever about the standing of the clubs we support.

How about realising that we are seeing a level of football that we have never seen before. We have players who are outstanding, e.g. Salah's goal against City, was pure class. I always like to have a league where no one runs away with top spot. Next season, we should have 6 teams who are going to be capable of beating each other. Even Man U aren't going to be as bad as they have this season.......

For the sake of the league I hope you are right, but I doubt it. I suspect it will be the same two horse race. Chelsea under new owners (maybe) will take time to get going. Arsenal and Spurs need a couple of more seasons, Newcastle 3 or 4 seasons, to build the squad to challenge. I’m hoping Man Utd are even worse next season.

I've thought Madrid's name was on it since they cost me a large bet v Chelsea in the second leg with the poor call on Alonso for handball just now prior to the fourth goal - the Reds midfield now looking much weaker through hamstring injuries.

I hope Liverpool win at the weekend as I think Madrid have been incredibly lucky to reach this final BUT Liverpool will still only be the 2nd best team in England.
City will eventually and deservedly win it but I can't help thinking it might be after Pep has moved on.

Indeed.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-liverpool/transferrekorde/verein/31

Keita £54m
Fabinho £40.5m
Diaz £40.5m
Jota £40.2m
Salah £37.8m
Mane £37m
Firmino £37m
Konate £36m

Hardly loose change.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/newcastle-united/transferrekorde/verein/762

Pep is a fantastic Manager and City are a great football team, but a little perspective is always worthwhile. That Liverpool are fully competitive with City is quite remarkable given that both teams have great managers, similar back-office operations and facilities.

Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool - Joined October 2015
Five Biggest Purchases
1. Virgil van Dijk – £76milion
2. Alisson – £56million
3. Naby Keita – £54million
4. Fabinho – £40million
5. Diogo Jota – £40million

Five Biggest Sales
1. Phillipe Coutinho – £121million
2. Christian Benteke – £28million
3. Mamadou Sakho – £25million
4. Danny Ings – £22million
5. Dominic Solanke – £19million

Total Spent: £479.56million
Total Sold: £360.82million
Total Net Spend: £115.74million

Pep Guardiola at Man City - Joined for the start of the 2016 season
Five Biggest Purchases
1. Jack Grealish – £105million
2. Ruben Dias – £61million
3. Riyad Mahrez – £61million
4. Aymeric Laporte – £58million
5. Joao Cancelo - £58million

Five Biggest Sales
1. Leroy Sane – £54million
2. Ferran Torres – £49million
3. Danilo – £33million
4. Kelechi Ihenacho – £24million
5. Angelino – £16million

Total Spent: £933.21million
Total Sold: £370.21million
Total Net Spend: £563million

Pep might want to but hasn't bought Jota yet - Michael Edwards secured him at up to £40M if certain trophies are won by - the payment in year one was £4M

That table suggests JK's success is based on a annual spend only higher than Burnley, Palace, Southampton & Norwich - amazing
Coutinho.
And you missed Diaz off your list at £40m.
Liverpool have spent over £30m on a player 14 times.
Newcastle twice.

advertisement

Back