advertisement

All purpose football thread 2021-2022 season II

Have a look at the stats - you've run City close this season and three seasons ago - one title in 30 years - the rest of the time you've been nowhere.
Just checked & the Reds have been top 4 or better 19 times and top 3 or better on 12 occasions - hardly nowhere and some City fans will know that several iffy VAR calls were significant this season, they're a great team with the best coach too

Just checked & the Reds have been top 4 or better 19 times and top 3 or better on 12 occasions - hardly nowhere and some City fans will know that several iffy VAR calls were significant this season, they're a great team with the best coach too
Top 4 doesn't mean challenging for the league nor for that matter does top 3 - this season being a classic example.
Before the last 4 seasons you' d challenged for the league 3 times in 26 seasons - as Lamps quite rightly said 'one title and you're fuc*king giving it the big 'un'.
Bringing VAR into it is nonsense as you've had plenty of calls go your way this season - I thought you were on holiday anyway.;)

Top 4 doesn't mean challenging for the league nor for that matter does top 3 - this season being a classic example.
Before the last 4 seasons you' d challenged for the league 3 times in 26 seasons - as Lamps quite rightly said 'one title and you're fuc*king giving it the big 'un'.
Bringing VAR into it is nonsense as you've had plenty of calls go your way this season - I thought you were on holiday anyway.;)

Mmmmm - the league positions for the last 5 seasons when City have properly seen the results of Pep's managership and City's spending power. Doesn't look to me like anyone else apart from Liverpool are stepping up and as long as the Saudi's remain interested (see below) their dominance isn't going away. Only by having an exceptional manager, a great backroom set up and very smart acquisitions have Liverpool been able to compete.

League Positions
21/22 - City 1 - LFC 2
20/21 - City 1 - LFC 3 (after injury plagued season)
19/20 - City 2 - LFC 1
18/19 - City 1 - LFC 2
17/18 - City 1 - LFC 4

The fact is that Liverpool are run as a commercial enterprise, are generally self-financing (Stadium reconstruction apart), and at some point will be sold by the owners to monetise their investment.
City are a UAE-owned sports washing exercise, funded to whatever extent is needed to improve the UAE brand (similar to the new Saudi-led golf tour) and they operating in a different financial league to all other teams, except PSG (and Real Madrid to a lesser extent).

edited to correct my UAE / Saudi blindness :D They’re cut from the same cloth.

Last edited:
City are a Saudi-owned sports washing exercise, funded to whatever extent is needed to improve the Saudi brand (like the new Saudi-led golf tour) and they operating in a different financial league to all other teams, except PSG (and Real Madrid to a lesser extent).
If you are going to criticise City's owners, at least do them the courtesy of getting their country right! :rolleyes:

If ADUG had been given different advice and chosen another under-performing big city club for its sportswashing fourteen years ago, Manchester City would have won nothing. Pep’s a great manager, and with the backing of a country, he has a great team, but any of Everton, Sheffield United, Newcastle and so on, could have won City’s six PLs if they’d been financially doped by the brutal and authoritarian regime of Abu Dhabi.

City’s success is entirely fake and plastic. Everyone knows it’s meaningless, and that they’re being used. See Bob’s posts here since yesterday’s games... not happy for his own team, just his usual Liverpool obsession, post after post. He hates Liverpool because their success is real and means something, to the club and its supporters, and to the city.

Doesn't look to me like anyone else apart from Liverpool are stepping up
That's a bold statement as things can change very quickly in football. Rewind 9 months and many pundits were confidently predicting that Chelsea, having signed the 'missing piece' Lukaku were going to be the team to beat this season.
Unfortunately we didnt get the missing piece we got the spare part & a very expensive one at that.
I'm more then hopeful that the new owners will support Tuchel going forward - it's just a shame that we are already at a disadvantage by being completely hamstrung until the takeover has been completed.

Anyway, that’s all my moaning done in one post. A brilliant season, and it’s not over yet. Here’s hoping...

PA-43280283-copy.jpg

Fabio Carvalho finally confirmed today for next season as well. What a time to be a Red.

I haven't been on here much since yesterday and, reading the posts, I am pleased. Thank you to @cooky1257 for some perspective. Personally, the league means more to me than any other trophy because for the majority of my life, we couldn't get near it. The comments from some of the Liverpool fans give life to the chants of Wolves and Chelsea fans, yesterday, and you need to ask yourselves why so many say 'anyone but Liverpool'. You have the chance to win a third trophy soon so better to focus on that than City, Premier League champions 2021-2022.

I do keep forgetting about Liverpools moral superiority & purity. Thankfully it’s never long before someone reminds me.

I must have dreamed Liverpool trying to claim furlough money & participation in the super league breakaway.

Always felt that American VC’s are a paragon for us all to follow.

I suppose we’ll see how easy it all is when NUFC sweep all before them next season?

Of course Liverpool haven't used financial muscle to buy the best players at all have they? Oh wait a minute...VVD £75m; Alisson £50m etc.
Just look at the list of Newcastle players they have bought over the years*: https://www.lfchistory.net/Transfers/ByClub/29
I'm sure this is the same for other Clubs... Southampton being the most recent example.
This breeds smouldering resentment...which can be argued leads to acceptance of unsavoury ownership in the case of Man City and NUFC. Imagine being a laughing stock for 50 years...what it can do to you.
Not that the fans have any say in it anyway.
The Premier League should have been nationalised and put under BBC control!

* Andy Carroll excepted. :D

Just looking at the City “party” on the BBC news. It’s laughable, there’s no-one there. Utterly shite fans.

Of course Liverpool haven't used financial muscle to buy the best players at all have they? Oh wait a minute...VVD £75m; Alisson £50m etc.
Just look at the list of Newcastle players they have bought over the years*: https://www.lfchistory.net/Transfers/ByClub/29
I'm sure this is the same for other Clubs... Southampton being the most recent example.
This breeds smouldering resentment...which can be argued leads to acceptance of unsavoury ownership in the case of Man City and NUFC. Imagine being a laughing stock for 50 years...what it can do to you.
Not that the fans have any say in it anyway.
The Premier League should have been nationalised and put under BBC control!

* Andy Carroll excepted. :D

LFC nett spend per year over the last ten years, about 20m per season. Newcastle recent problems have been down to shit owners after Sir John Hall

That's okay by me, give me the Premier League any day of the week.
Winning the CL is a great feeling but at the end of the day it's a cup and very often not won by the best team in Europe.
The PL is the trophy that recognises the best team in the most competitive league in Europe - the table never lies.

Winning the CL is a great feeling but at the end of the day it's a cup and very often not won by the best team in Europe.
The PL is the trophy that recognises the best team in the most competitive league in Europe - the table never lies.

If you win the CL but you are not your league winner, you are simply not the best team in Europe.

advertisement

Back