advertisement

All purpose football thread 20-21 season II

You forgot to mention my favourite:

Middlesbrough 8 Man City 1 from 2008 just before the Arab money poured in. I have united supporting work colleagues who speak with affection for that day.
It’s a shame that the scum have spent almost as much as money from their Saudi sponsors, Aeroflot sponsors, noodle sponsors and yet can’t put a quality 11 out.
Ask your mates about the sick swan.

Your last point is exactly what the protests are about, which is directly linked to the Glazer's ownership.

It's the massive waste of money that is being drawn out of the club, and although spending on players has been large, not many have been good or even great value. High profile signings such as Falcao, Di Maria, Schweinsteiger, Lukaku, Sanchez etc, don't appear to have been made for football reasons, players that never looked like fitting with the team. Its also all money that has been generated by the club, the owners do not put ANY of their own money into the club, its all taking £100m+ in dividends out of the club, using as a person bank while piling on debt.
Our net spend is actually quite low, and player sales are tiny compared to even a lot of the mid-table teams.

Here is a good if detailed breakdown:

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1389458677061591042
You seem to be unaware that thanks to the likes of the scum, Liverpool, Real and Barca subverting the original intention of FFP to control debt owners CANNOT put their own money in anymore.
Hilarious!
Hoist by their own petard.
The Glazers are owners to dream of financially.
It’s the club management here that’s incompetent.
Woodward, a money man with no knowledge of football.
No one in overall charge of the long term view.
Knee jerk marquee signings with no view of how they might fit in and a barely competent manager.
And above everything they have the man who was responsible for the Glazers takeover still lording it over everyone, malignantly influencing every decision, intimidating the paperboy so much he won’t use the parking space. Wonder if he was sounding out Poch for the job when he visited PSG pre match yesterday.
They’re still at it. Today we read Kane and Sancho are on the way!

Last edited:
Your last point is exactly what the protests are about, which is directly linked to the Glazer's ownership.

It's the massive waste of money that is being drawn out of the club, and although spending on players has been large, not many have been good or even great value. High profile signings such as Falcao, Di Maria, Schweinsteiger, Lukaku, Sanchez etc, don't appear to have been made for football reasons, players that never looked like fitting with the team. Its also all money that has been generated by the club, the owners do not put ANY of their own money into the club, its all taking £100m+ in dividends out of the club, using as a person bank while piling on debt.
Our net spend is actually quite low, and player sales are tiny compared to even a lot of the mid-table teams.

Here is a good if detailed breakdown:

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1389458677061591042

Finally, some common sense.

Congrats to City for making it to a European final - been a long wait.

You seem to be unaware that thanks to the likes of the scum, Liverpool, Real and Barca subverting FFP owners CANNOT put their own money in anymore.
Hilarious!
Hoist by their own petard.
The Glazers are owners to dream of financially.
It’s the club management here that’s incompetent.
Woodward, a money man with no knowledge of football.
No one in overall charge of the long term view.
Knee jerk marquee signings with no view of how they might fit in and a barely competent manager.
And above everything they have the man who was responsible for the Glazers takeover still lording it over everyone, malignantly influencing every decision, intimidating the paperboy so much he won’t use the parking space. Wonder if he was sounding out Poch for the job when he visited PSG pre match yesterday.
They’re still at it. Today we read Kane and Sancho are on the way!

I'm not going to argue but some points I would like to address:

FFP is not an issue for MUFC due to the massive revenue they bring in and pre Glazers, was profitable every year, investment on top of profit is not an issue, its continuous investment when making a loss that is an issue, such as for PSG, Man City, Chelsea etc.

All the Glazers have done is to pile 100s of Millions of Pounds of debt onto the club and taking money out, no investment in the youth setup, training facilities or Old Trafford.

Ed Woodward has actually been a good, financially for the club, bringing in lots of extra revenue in sponsorship deals, I really don't have an issue with that. Its when he is part of the football side, making player/contract decisions in an area he really is not suited to.
He has now (finally) managed to put a new football structure in place, and with the announcement he will be stepping down later this year, I have some optimism for the future. However, its a shame Nicky Butt left his role, we will see in the future if that changes with the new structure and after Woodward has left.

You appear to be against Solskjaer, I've been happy with him as a manger, we are 2nd in the League, one foot in the Europa Final, appear to have a clear roadmap and playing better football than we were under the previous managers. I certainly would not want Poch over Ole if it came down to it.

And really don't read anything into transfer gossip, it's all to sell papers/clicks/betting odds. FWIW I think United have a real chance this year to get Sancho, not many clubs have any funds this summer, that's one advantage United have, they could spend another £150m if they wanted to, without relying on outgoings.

It seems Financial Fair Play just won’t go away with the Premier League arbitration panel still examining Abu Dhabi City -

https://sportslens.com/manchester-c...ret-legal-battle-over-ffp-regulations/352524/

If City are found to have transgressed the rules - something their multi-million pound lawyers will try to deny - they could be deducted points. That might make United champions this season!

As for criticism of Ole, it’s funny how under his stewardship United have taken ten out of twelve points against City over the last two seasons. Not bad for a ‘paper boy’.

The bitterness and selective truths aired by one City follower are here for all to see. It’s made the football section on pfm a place where many will no longer post. Banter and good natured chat seem to have gone out the window which I think is a real pity.

Well done to City. An excellent performance and I expect them to go on and win the final.
As I've said in previous seasons, City will never win the CL until they get a decent defence and they have that now.

On a negative note lets not forget what gives Pep the means to build this team.

Screenshot-2021-05-05-at-13-11-30.png

The bitterness and selective truths aired by one City follower are here for all to see. It’s made the football section on pfm a place where many will no longer post. Banter and good natured chat seem to have gone out the window which I think is a real pity.
If you mean who I think you do, I put him on ignore ages ago. Makes this section much more pleasant.

I was looking for a Man of the Match, and ended up with a Team of the Match! Zinchenko in tears at the end summed it up for me, possibly the most improved player of the year, even above Mahrez and Foden.

Been singing Zinchenko's praises for a while now but I've never seen him (or the team really) as fired up as this. His block tackle (along with others from Dias & Stones) was something else. Mahrez again making a crucial tackle in his own box.

That surface didn't help us early on, the ball just holding up (Phil struggled with it in the first half) but I'm surprised that nobody noticed or mentioned that Ederson used that same surface for his long pass to help set up the first goal with that outrageous pass. Once the the rain cleared the hail it helped our passing game to click and then watching PSG lose their heads as the passes started zipping around them was pretty funny.

Spurs celebrated like they'd won the final in their semi and just didn't turn for the final itself. I'm hoping we don't fall into that trap but can't see it happening.

Utd’s rearranged fixtures.

......Villa Sunday, Leicester Tuesday, Liverpool Thursday.......

Well done rioters!

Having a penalty awarded against them before they started didn’t help…

They were never going to beat Liverpool on that day. I don't even remember Liverpool getting out of 2nd gear. I'm not a fan but they were one hell of a team at that time.

So Utd get away scot free? 3 games in a week is hardly a punishment. #properteamsplaytwiceintwodaysontwodifferntcontinents

Madrid extremely lacklustre - Chelsea far too wasteful up front, should have been 3 or 4 nil.

In these Covid times are 2 English teams really going to be forced to play the final in Istanbul

Chelsea played well. I think City are probably the stronger side, but if Chelsea’s forwards can improve their conversion rate in front of goal it could make for a good final.

Utd’s rearranged fixtures.

......Villa Sunday, Leicester Tuesday, Liverpool Thursday.......

Well done rioters!

For a team that you deemed ''irrelevant'', you talk about United an awful lot, Robert, and even when your beloved City has just made a Champions League final.

Well done to Chelsea, lets hope my boys do what they did in the FA Cup semi final.

Madrid extremely lacklustre - Chelsea far too wasteful up front, should have been 3 or 4 nil.

In these Covid times are 2 English teams really going to be forced to play the final in Istanbul
Given our Covid status compared to the risks associated with cross-border travel (and zero economic benefit to the host nation from no visitors / hotels / restaurants being booked) it might make sense suggesting to UEFA a neutral UK venue if both teams can agree it

So its a City v Chelsea final.

I don't think that we are going to make the same tactical mistake as in the fa cup semi. My brother will be hoping we do play the same way.......

Given our Covid status compared to the risks associated with cross-border travel (and zero economic benefit to the host nation from no visitors / hotels / restaurants being booked) it might make sense suggesting to UEFA a neutral UK venue if both teams can agree it
As far as I am aware the final will have fans in attendance with a 30% capacity.
I know City fans have travel and hotels booked in anticipation of restrictions lifting enough to go.
I agree a UK venue would make more sense but UEFA won’t change it.

advertisement

Back