advertisement

All purpose cycling thread 2022

Explored all the other options re the annoying creak only to find that it is indeed the front wheel. Rather annoying as the wheels were quite expensive, DT Swiss Octic, but have come to the conclusion that super light wheels & me don’t mix.

I am certainly not overweight, pretty skinny but I do come in at over 80KGS & wheels get a bit of hammer in the Peak District.

I’ve needed up with a slightly heavier & hopefully more robust set of DT Swiss P1600 Spline.

If I could I’d take up running!

...A few minutes later I was woken up by a horse skitting about a few yards away ...

I somehow read that with a "h" instead of the "k" :D

Apparently horses eyes work like bifocal lenses, so things low down look very large to them.
They also have some weird issues like seeing metal gates as shimmering or moving and can therefore get a bit agitated for seemingly innocuous reasons.

https://horseandrider.com/how-to/horse-vision-and-eyesight/

Explored all the other options re the annoying creak only to find that it is indeed the front wheel. Rather annoying as the wheels were quite expensive, DT Swiss Octic, but have come to the conclusion that super light wheels & me don’t mix.

I am certainly not overweight, pretty skinny but I do come in at over 80KGS & wheels get a bit of hammer in the Peak District.

I’ve needed up with a slightly heavier & hopefully more robust set of DT Swiss P1600 Spline.

If I could I’d take up running!

I’ve pretty light carbon wheels (sub 1400g) and I’d say they are pretty bombproof.

It depends on where you cycle & how much. I wouldn’t have carbon rims with callipers but may look at them with discs.

I’m on my third set so who knows. Winter bike with alloy rims, summer bike with carbon. Had a disc bike (CAAD12 Disc) but annoyingly it was stolen. Current ones are Zed Wheels.

I’m on my third set so who knows. Winter bike with alloy rims, summer bike with carbon. Had a disc bike (CAAD12 Disc) but annoyingly it was stolen. Current ones are Zed Wheels.
I wish someone would Nick my Caad13 disc, total pile of crap so far.

A couple of mates have Zed wheels, mixed results.

I have 5 year old carbon wheels with rim breaks (Enve SES 3.4). No issues, not even in the Pyrenees with rain.

After endless pinch punctures on my road bike on our ropey tiny local roads (even with the toughest tyres I can fit in the frame - 700x25 Duranos), I’ve built a sort of disc gravel bike (basically a lightweight rigid 26” hard tail with smooth 1.75 tyres) out of bits in the shed. It’s nothing like as zippy as the road bike, but it’s supremely comfy. Some road bar tape over the grips and bar ends will finish it nicely.

Also managed a day on the BPW uplifts without crashing once the other weekend.

One pair kept snapping spokes but the the builder did stand by them & replaced the rim.

I tend to be very unlucky with wheels, they never last long.
The only road wheels I have found to be to be tough and trouble free are Mavics - never had one go out of true or break a spoke. I’m about 81kg and my current Shimano ones have popped a couple of spokes and exact bladed replacements are unobtainium, so I’m having to put round ones in. They can stay until I build up a disc road bike.

The only road wheels I have found to be to be tough and trouble free are Mavics - never had one go out of true or break a spoke. I’m about 81kg and my current Shimano ones have popped a couple of spokes and exact bladed replacements are unobtainium, so I’m having to put round ones in. They can stay until I build up a disc road bike.

I had one go on my Shimano Ultegra wheels. But got rid of them as it was SO hard to fit a tyre!

Fulcrum 3’s have been super strong but parts are scarce for them and I don’t like buying disposable wheels which they are when rims die.

I’m 85kg and I’d say a pretty strong rider, have rarely had wheel issues though.

I had one go on my Shimano Ultegra wheels. But got rid of them as it was SO hard to fit a tyre!

Fulcrum 3’s have been super strong but parts are scarce for them and I don’t like buying disposable wheels which they are when rims die.

I’m 85kg and I’d say a pretty strong rider, have rarely had wheel issues though.

I’ve always fancied getting some 105 hubs with 32h open pro rims and some robust spokes made up, but have never got round to it. I had some on an old cannondale that was nicked and they were fab.

It depends on where you cycle & how much. I wouldn’t have carbon rims with callipers but may look at them with discs.

As a compromise my "nice" wheels are Shimano Dura-Ace which are a carbon/alloy mix with alloy in the breaking area, plus they're still reasonably light (under 1400g).

I’ve always fancied getting some 105 hubs with 32h open pro rims and some robust spokes made up, but have never got round to it. I had some on an old cannondale that was nicked and they were fab.

I believe they are really durable albeit not light.

I’d probably opt for Hunt Four Seasons nowadays if I wanted a strong and durable wheelset. Hunt are also a lovely company to deal with (down the road from me).

I had a great day out on Sunday on the London to Brighton. Not done it for many years but the organisation was fantastic. No real crowding with staggered start times and lots and lots of marshals to manage the traffic flow. A few more stops for traffic lights than I remember, pretty sure more roads were closed in previous years.

I was amazed how many folks were out on chairs cheering us on all through the villages with most places offering free drinks and snacks as well as the formal rest stops. A really fun atmosphere, I was really impressed with lots of cycling clubs in team kit out just coasting along, encouraging other folks, playing music and generally enjoying themselves. It really is not a race as they say, a few folks getting their heads down but respectfully I thought. A steady 4.5 hrs for me and the walk of shame up the Beacon sadly, legs were done by then. Managed a couple of hundred metres but cramped, stopped and decided not to attempt the rest. Lovely ride into Brighton after that and again lots of crowds out cheering everyone on. Finished with fish and chips (surprisingly decent) on the beach.

Dying on a hill somewhere (in the yellow waterproof - was a bit of rain on Ditchling)
52162496716_1dd3c1ec47_c.jpg

Happier on a downhill
52162496726_0b3e4ff37c_c.jpg

Reward
52162498438_05bda515fa_c.jpg

Mavic are not what they were, but yes, I’ve broken them. The Hubs on the basic Askiums are crap & I found one Kysiriums to be OK but they can be a bit noisy.

As a compromise my "nice" wheels are Shimano Dura-Ace which are a carbon/alloy mix with alloy in the breaking area, plus they're still reasonably light (under 1400g).
A few of my mates have them, the DT Swiss ones I had were great but a problem with some corrosion around the spokes made them noisy. A shame as they are great wheels otherwise, light, stiff with excellent breaking.

I live in a very hilly area so just harder on wheels.

advertisement

Back