advertisement

All purpose cycling thread 2022

Fab ride this saturday as a part on my training for the London to Brighton ride in a few weeks. A circular route visiting the hills of Dunstable Downs and the Chilterns, just under 50 miles and 3001 feet of climbing which is loads for me. Was originally hoping for a 100k but I was not feeling that well and a friend had a mechanical 35 miles in so we had to lock his rear derailleur mid cassette and just have a two speed bike leading to a slight shortening of the route.

Amazing weather and so many bikes out, it was the best ride of the year without doubt.

It's Ride London in 2 weeks time. Just found out that there will be safety car at the front limiting riders to 22mph! On flat closed roads a lot of riders would hope to average 25-30mph. As faster riders from later waves cut through the field it's going to create an almighty bottle neck. Hope this doesn't lead to carnage.
Spent the data officiating at the London Youth Games at Stratford. Wetter than advertised but lots of keen young riders TTing or Crit racing.

The Giro is whizzing past. Not had one WFH day to catch it properly on EuroSport.
It's Ride London on Sunday. I'm rolling out at 06:10. Hoping for a fast, incident free ride, though I'll be someway behind club mates who are hoping for a sub 4 hour 100 miles, especially as this is on the morning after the European Cup Final!
They've scrapped the 22mph safety car, even I travelled 27 miles in the first hour of the old Ride London. Legs are feeling much better after my 261 mile London Wales London ride. There's something about the over training, training effect in channelling previous levels of fitness. That and better weather! Good luck to anyone else enjoying the closed roads of London and Essex and apologies to those who may be inconvenienced by the ride.

Ride stats for yesterday:
31.5 miles
Average speed 6.3 MPH
2% of 625WH battery left
fun factor ~95%

Good luck Andrew. Another words Kick Arse !. Might pop down there myself ( only 3 miles away ) to applaud a few in. Is the local short ride on tomorrow btw ?

I'm so disappointed with SRAM!

In the past I've mainly had Shimano drivetrrain components. They have always worked faultlessly and replacement parts were a reasonable price.
The E-bike comes with 12-speed "Eagle Technology". What a load of crap!!!

After only 2 chains the rear cassette is done. I've always got about 4 chains, worn to 0.75%, with Shimano cogs.
Eagle GX cassette is £200 :eek::eek::eek::eek:.
Front ring is almost unobtanium. Alu ones are available, but I expect the "hard anodising" :rolleyes: will last about 50 miles.
Plenty of Shimano spares available.(Loads of availability of SRAM spares in Germany).

I wish it was easy to change to Shimano 11-speed XT. There's really not much need for a 10 tooth rear cog!

SRAM summary:
Wears out fast. Very expensive to replace, if you can get the parts. :(:(:(:(

The Eagle has landed... and shat, on my wallet :D

It's worth it though. The E-bike is just so much fun!

That is poor!
Seem to be assembly problems with lots of bikes... my Boardman pea gravel bike had no grease in the freehub.

IME (with MTBs) creaking/clicking during seated pedalling is caused by:
a) dirt on the seat tube
b) dirt between the headset bearings and the bearing cups
c) cracked frame weld (should only occur on old bikes when the frame wears out)

a and b need a clean and regrease.
c needs careful inspection with a magnifyer especially at the junction of the top tube and seat tube. In your case, also check round the BB.

Not often that one hears swearwords on the BBC news...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61815609

Fair and justified I'd say...

"Motorists must now leave a 1.5m (5ft) gap when overtaking cyclists, as well as slowing down. The gap must be 2m (6.5ft) when passing pedestrians or horse riders."

On some of the lanes around my way that could mean walking pace for miles if one comes across a pedestrian (or me out running!).

When in the lanes cycling we slow down for horses and pedestrians. We slow to a crawl for horses and let horse riders know how many of us are coming through. Runners and walkers are also passed slowly and usually with a friendly verbal interchange.

Same here, I'll stop running if passing a horse.

Funny exchange a couple of weeks ago - wife and I were walking back from the local in the pouring rain, umbrellas up. Heard someone shouting some distance away, couldn't make out what was being said. Carried on walking then realized a couple of horses were coming towards us, and one of the riders was shouting again. Couldn't make it out - noise from rain on umbrellas...As we got closer we finally got the message...one of the horses was looking somewhat skittish and the rider was shouting at us to put the brollies down because they were scaring the horse....!
We did so...but must admit to muttering to each other...what the hell are they doing out on public roads if the horse is skipping about due to seeing an umbrella....

"Motorists must now leave a 1.5m (5ft) gap when overtaking cyclists, as well as slowing down. The gap must be 2m (6.5ft) when passing pedestrians or horse riders."

On some of the lanes around my way that could mean walking pace for miles if one comes across a pedestrian (or me out running!).
Typical how the driver is a bit certain he left a safe distance despite the evidence of the cyclist's Gopro. He clearly has no idea just how big his ridiculously large vehicle actually is.

Just a typical entitled motorist in an oversized car.

That is poor!
Seem to be assembly problems with lots of bikes... my Boardman pea gravel bike had no grease in the freehub.

IME (with MTBs) creaking/clicking during seated pedalling is caused by:
a) dirt on the seat tube
b) dirt between the headset bearings and the bearing cups
c) cracked frame weld (should only occur on old bikes when the frame wears out)

a and b need a clean and regrease.
c needs careful inspection with a magnifyer especially at the junction of the top tube and seat tube. In your case, also check round the BB.
Managed to sort out one creaking bike by cleaning seat post & reapplying carbon paste.

Best bike is making a proper racket, have checked front hub & now think it is a headset issue. Will clean & regrease it.

Typical how the driver is a bit certain he left a safe distance despite the evidence of the cyclist's Gopro. He clearly has no idea just how big his ridiculously large vehicle actually is.
He actually admitted he didn’t leave enough space due to his own ignorance.

Same here, I'll stop running if passing a horse.

Funny exchange a couple of weeks ago - wife and I were walking back from the local in the pouring rain, umbrellas up. Heard someone shouting some distance away, couldn't make out what was being said. Carried on walking then realized a couple of horses were coming towards us, and one of the riders was shouting again. Couldn't make it out - noise from rain on umbrellas...As we got closer we finally got the message...one of the horses was looking somewhat skittish and the rider was shouting at us to put the brollies down because they were scaring the horse....!
We did so...but must admit to muttering to each other...what the hell are they doing out on public roads if the horse is skipping about due to seeing an umbrella....
I can beat that. Last summer I cycled to see my parents. It's a long way, 45 miles each way and if I'm honest I bit off more than I could chew. About 15 miles from home, more than a bit tired, I stopped for a rest on a grassy square with a bench in a village, laid on the grass and fell asleep. A few minutes later I was woken up by a horse skitting about a few yards away and the owner asking me please to get up because her horse was frightened by me lying on the grass with my bike propped against the bench.

advertisement

Back