advertisement

All 92 Diamond-Certified Albums Ranked from Worst to Best

And my score should really only be two (LZII and Rumours), because three of the albums (Sgt Pepper, the White Album and Abbey Road) actually belong to Mrs H.

I’ve got the Beatles In Mono CD box and stereos of the last few which gets me all on the list, both Michael Jackson, LZ I, Rumours, both Floyd, Nevermind, Stevie Wonder, Prince, Eminem, Notorious BIG, Norah Jones, Saturday Night Fever and the Bruce Springsteen (again in a box set, I’d not have bought that album). I think I’ve still got a West German ‘target’ CD of the Eagles Hotel California sitting around, but I’ve never played it (I buy any I see cheap as investments, Rumours is the same, but I quite like that one so it counts properly).

I’ve owned far more Led Zep, but came to the conclusion I only ever play the first one so offloaded the rest. I may possibly have the Alanis Morisette, I remember buying it but I suspect it has similarly exited via the shop.

I did a little better with the UK list but not much; both Fleetwood Mac, Amy Winehouse and Paul Simon. Maybe Marley, I think I have all the studio albums but not sure about the greatest hits.

Conspicuous by their absence are anything that could be described as punk or new wave and any iteration of black music save for Marley and arguably Michael Jackson. It’s a stultifyingly conservative list, but perhaps that’s inherent by definition of mainstream pop music.

Just to be clear, both lists are simply based on sales. The list in the initial post is arbitrarily "ranked", but all the albums on both lists are only there because millions upon millions of people bought them.

(No, that doesn't make them good albums, any more than it makes them bad albums. It just makes them albums that sold well.)

Five on the UK list. Due to frequent accusations of bad taste over many decades this is becoming poignant.

I'll fess-up to 34 from the USA list and 15 from the UK version.
No excuses because they are all hard copies!

Whitney Houston

Did you know that Whitney Houston's debut LP, called simply Whitney Houston had four number one singles on it? Did you know that, Jeremy?

It's hard to choose a favourite among so many great tracks, but "The Greatest Love of All" is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written about self-preservation, dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instils one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves. Since it's impossible in this world we live in to empathise with others, we can always empathise with ourselves. It's an important message, crucial really. And it's beautifully stated on the album.

I’ve got 11 of the UK ones. A hopelessly flawed list as compilation albums should never be in these things, e.g. I have all of Bob Marley’s Island albums (the CD box), but I don’t have Legend as I obviously don’t need it, so didn’t count it.

I’ve got 11 of the UK ones. A hopelessly flawed list as compilation albums should never be in these things, e.g. I have all of Bob Marley’s Island albums (the CD box), but I don’t have Legend as I obviously don’t need it, so didn’t count it.

Legend is one of the great compilations though. Wasn't Dave Robinson behind it?

2 from the US list, none from the U.K. A few more from the US list I’d actually like to have but not the U.K.

"The Greatest Love of All" is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written about self-preservation, dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instils one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves.

True. Though when she died our elderly alcoholic wife-beating neighbour (who I used to regularly find urinating in the communal stairwell) played it on repeat for hours at full blast. When I finally went down and asked him to turn it down he appeared at the door legless and sobbing in a string vest.

It's sort of put me off the track.

Did you know that Whitney Houston's debut LP, called simply Whitney Houston had four number one singles on it? Did you know that, Jeremy?

It's hard to choose a favourite among so many great tracks, but "The Greatest Love of All" is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written about self-preservation, dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instils one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves. Since it's impossible in this world we live in to empathise with others, we can always empathise with ourselves. It's an important message, crucial really. And it's beautifully stated on the album.

It's shite, Alex.

advertisement

Back