advertisement

Albums of the Year 2018. Lists.

Given the tiny number of new releases that I have bought this year I was surprised to find that I actually own one in the Rough Trade list :)

Another couple I've enjoyed this year are both the Gaz Coombes record and Young Fathers. Not checked the list to see if they're on but both crackers.

In no particular order, some of my faves from this year:

Emma Ruth Rundle - On Dark Horses
Ex:Re - Ex:Re
Michael Price - Tender Symmetry
Leifur James - A Louder Silence
GoGo Penguin - A Humdrum Star
Goat Girl
Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs - King of Cowards
Low - Double Negative

Very little 2018 release purchases here, and I guess somewhat predictable:

Rock pop ‘n’ stuff

Beach House - 7. A slight departure in that there are rather more keyboard textures etc, it being produced by Spaceman 3’s Sonic Boom probably saw to that.

HMHB - No One Cares About Your Creative Hub... A surprisingly good album IMO, I’ve got a fair bit of their stuff and I’d say this one was as stong in its own way as the debut, which has always been my favourite. I saw them last week in Manc and they were rather good, and for me the tracks that stood out were from this and the debut.

Jazz

Kamasi Washington - Heaven And Earth. Another Epic to follow the debut Epic, a superb album pulling in influences from everywhere from Albert Ayler through to ‘70s soul jazz and beyond.

Sons Of Kemet - Your Queen Is A Reptile. Rather wonderful 2x drummer, sax, tuba combo. Judging from seeing a few video clips I don’t think they’ve captured their live energy on record yet, but its still a good one.

Provisional

Anderson .Paak - Oxnard. I’ve bought it, but its not released for a couple of days yet. I can’t see it not making such a small list!

PS I have bought tons of music this year, just not much that is current. As an example I must have bought about a full week of Keith Jarrett, plus loads of other ECM stuff, tons of small scale classical etc etc. So its not that I’m not looking, discovering new stuff, I’m just not doing it right now!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm surprised to find I've got about ten of The Quietus' list.
Good to see "An Angel Fell" by Idris Ackamoor & The Pyramids in there at number 2.

Big favourites in new music have been
Nat Birchall - Sounds Almighty
Boz Scaggs - Out Of The Blues
Last Poets - Understand What Black Is

Back catalogue / archival issue of the year
Dylan - More Blood, More Tracks
I also discovered Kosmische Laufer, though whether that belongs here or in new music is open to question...

I don't buy vinyl these days so was intrigued to see how few, if any of the Rough trade albums exhibited decent cover art. Isn't this one of the reasons often given for vinyl's persistence?

Vetdl6x.jpg

Sun Kil Moon - This Is My Dinner

I have heard a few of the Rough Trade list, but I’ve most enjoyed the above. Randomly discovered him on the TIDAL new releases feed a month ago.

Very little 2018 release purchases here, and I guess somewhat predictable:

Rock pop ‘n’ stuff

Beach House - 7. A slight departure in that there are rather more keyboard textures etc, it being produced by Spaceman 3’s Sonic Boom probably saw to that.

HMHB - No One Cares About Your Creative Hub... A surprisingly good album IMO, I’ve got a fair bit of their stuff and I’d say this one was as stong in its own way as the debut, which has always been my favourite. I saw them last week in Manc and they were rather good, and for me the tracks that stood out were from this and the debut.

Jazz

Kamasi Washington - Heaven And Earth. Another Epic to follow the debut Epic, a superb album pulling in influences from everywhere from Albert Ayler through to ‘70s soul jazz and beyond.

Sons Of Kemet - Your Queen Is A Reptile. Rather wonderful 2x drummer, sax, tuba combo. Judging from seeing a few video clips I don’t think they’ve captured their live energy on record yet, but its still a good one.

Provisional

Anderson .Paak - Oxnard. I’ve bought it, but its not released for a couple of days yet. I can’t see it not making such a small list!

PS I have bought tons of music this year, just not much that is current. As an example I must have bought about a full week of Keith Jarrett, plus loads of other ECM stuff, tons of small scale classical etc etc. So its not that I’m not looking, discovering new stuff, I’m just not doing it right now!

Tony.Did the Dr Dre production draw you to Oxnard ?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I've missed a lot of new music this year after discovering Podcasts. These end of year lists are great for catching up. I loved the Gaz Coombs album earlier this year and going against popular opinion the new Paul Weller album has really grown on me.

Cheers BB

Tony.Did the Dr Dre production draw you to Oxnard ?

No, I actually wish Anderson .Paak would record in a far more natural/less-rap way! The guy is an absolute genius-grade drummer, his band are all amazing musicians, yet so often he uses drum machines, loops, samples etc on his albums. I don’t get it. Oxnard is a really good album, I like it a lot and it certainly makes my little best of year list, but I wish he’d record more in a jazz way as he’s so got the ability:

I love that performance, just totally honest and together, I wish he’d record more in that vein. FWIW I feel the same about Thundercat, another truly phenomenal talent let down by generic mainstream pop production techniques.

My most listened to new albums of 2018 are:

Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour

Chvrches - Love Is Dead

Courtney Marie Andrews - May Your Kindness Remain

Ashley McBryde - Girl Going Nowhere

Suede - The Blue Hour

I happen to think 2018 has been really good year for music.

Teleman Family of Aliens
Shame Songs of Praise
Confidence Man Confident Music for Confident People
Say Sue Me Where We Were Together
Bodega Endless Soul
TVAM Pyschic Data
The KVB Only Now Forever
Eels The Deconstruction
Olden Yolk Olden Yolk
Danny Goffey Schtick
Idles Joy as an Act of Resistance

Re; Low.
Is my stream of this well dodgy or is it meant to sound as if different instruments are completely discordant and disjointed. I’ve got “c’mon” which I love, but I’m really struggling with this one.

I happen to think 2018 has been really good year for music.
Confidence Man Confident Music for Confident People

Good to see some love for that.
It's an absolutely cracking slab of pop - arch (bordering on camp), witty, danceable, and utterly "chin stroke ye not".
It's as if The B-52s had beamed into Andy Weatherall's studio circa Screamadelica (well, sort of....).
Brilliantly entertaining live too.

advertisement

Back