advertisement

Albums of the Year 2018. Lists.

Embarrassingly I only have two (the jazz ones). I’ve heard of getting on for maybe a third I guess, so I clearly have much listening to do. A lesson for those who think nothing has been going on musically since about 1982 anyhow!

PS YouTube is usually a surprisingly useful tool for exploring, i.e. one doesn’t necessarily need a streaming subscription.

I've nominated a few decent albums on the other thread but I gave to say that 2018 ranks as one of the worst I recall for new albums.

I listened to that Shame album (Songs of Praise) a few weeks ago and watched the "live in the KEXP studio" on YouTube. They're very good.

I listened to that Shame album (Songs of Praise) a few weeks ago and watched the "live in the KEXP studio" on YouTube. They're very good.

I'm going to see Shame at Rough Trade on 5/12/18. I hear they are very good live.

I've got about half dozen of the 100. Lots of established groups in the list who I have earlier works by. Surprised to see no HMHB "No one cares about your creative hub so get your f***ing hedge cut"

Looking forward to see what Piccadilly Records, Quietus, Phonica, NME Honest John's and Sister Ray etc have in their lists.

Got 4 of the top 10 - the Low album is excellent.
Well, that's 4 more than me. I listened to Low but it didn't stick to me, but these lists are all about giving albums a second chance as much as seeing what is going on. In most years a kind of consensus emerges and the Johnny come latelys realise in about 10 years time that today's music is pretty good.

The fact that Lily Allen's album is in (which I haven't heard but am turning my nose up at anyway) and Jon Hopkin's outstanding 'Singularity' isn't does that article no favours.
Have a few of those albums and know some I am not interested in. Not too bad I suppose.

Got quite a few of those and heard a few more, I really need to slow down on the music buying front though because it can just get out of control, there's too much that I want, to the point that I'm even contemplating a *shudders* streaming subscription *shudders*

A cracking album. There was a programme about its making on BBC4 last Friday.

I thought the programme made good sense as to why they originally remixed it. It may not have been a hit at the time if released in the current issue.
Strange, but true I think, black music was still not entirely accepted then, even after Bowie pulled them a few years before.

Bloss

advertisement

Back