advertisement

Albums of the Year 2018. Lists.

The fact that Lily Allen's album is in (which I haven't heard but am turning my nose up at anyway) and Jon Hopkin's outstanding 'Singularity' isn't does that article no favours.
Have a few of those albums and know some I am not interested in. Not too bad I suppose.

Listening to ‘Singularity’ now. I’m liking it. Especially good if your a low frequency addict!

Been a pretty good year for me music wise.

In no particular order, highlights for me.....

Father John Misty - God's Favourite Customer
Jon Hopkins - Singularity
Nils Frahm - All Melody
Jonathan Wilson - Rare Birds
The National: Boxer Live In Brussels

In no implied order except in which they are retrieved from my tired head -

Sons of Kemet – Your Queen is a Reptile
The Breeders – All Nerve
Courtney Barnett – Tell Me How You Really Feel
Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks – Sparkle Hard
Janelle Monáe – Dirty Computer
Eleanor Friedberger - Rebound

A few of mine off the top of my head

Khruangbin
Parquet Courts
Our Girl
Suede
Kurt Vile
Maribou State
Gaz Coombes

Been a pretty good year for me music wise.

In no particular order, highlights for me.....

Father John Misty - God's Favourite Customer
Jon Hopkins - Singularity
Nils Frahm - All Melody
Jonathan Wilson - Rare Birds
The National: Boxer Live In Brussels

Gosh I must be old.
Never heard of the above...

My 5 current record of the year contenders are the records by Low, Yo la Tengo, Necks, Noname and Sons of Kemet.

However, if the past yeas are anything to go by, I'll find my real favourites by checking stuff out from the end of year lists. I'm no where near as connected in to new music as I was and the days when I'd already have the top 20 records from any published list have long gone.

Mind you, the first few I've seen haven't yet thrown u anything that has inspired me....

Low for me, too. It's riveting.

I've also enjoyed Chris Carter's Chemistry Lesson, Helena Hauff's squelchy techno, Nils Frahm's plinky plonking and Autechre's austere soundscapes.

Disappointed by the Jon Hopkins and Kamasi Washington. I probably need to put in a little more effort with the latter.

Low for me, too. It's riveting.

I've also enjoyed Chris Carter's Chemistry Lesson, Helena Hauff's squelchy techno, Nils Frahm's plinky plonking and Autechre's austere soundscapes.

Disappointed by the Jon Hopkins and Kamasi Washington. I probably need to put in a little more effort with the latter.

Try the new Vessel album - potential late contender there.
The Yves Tumor album is worth a look too...

Picked up 19 of those over the year, I’m A sucker for their LP+ Versions. On the whole it’s been a fairly decent year music wise, there’s plenty on that list I’ve not heard yet and there’s a few that should be on it.

Dead Magic - Anna Von Hausswolff
The Official Body - Shopping
High As Hope - Florence + The Machine

The Good The Bad and The Queen album has come late in the year and I'm liking it lots.

I'm surprised the Interpol album is on Rough Trade's list as I think I've only played it once as nothing stood out for me, I shall give it some more plays I think.

GoGo Penguin, A Humdrum Star. Took me a while but I feel it's good as v2.0 though different in flavour. Strid is an epic.

Hi res downloads at Qobuz/Onkyo.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back