advertisement

AirBnB next door

alanbeeb

pfm Member
A strange car and a large family pulled up outside the house next door today and said family have taken up residence. No real problem with that, they seem perfectly respectable people and their kids are enjoying the garden with its giant trampoline, which is actually quite nice to see.

But it was a bit odd, and sure enough Mrs Beeb has found the house listed on AirBnB as a holiday rental.

The thing that really bugs me... we have been neighbours with the lady next door for 19 years. We exchange news about her now-grown-up kids, take parcels in for each other and write joint letters to the factors about the common grounds.... and yet this was never mentioned - She and her daughter who now lives with her with her two toddlers just went away yesterday and today these strangers appear with no word, no effort to tell us in advance or seek any opinion from us. I think is appallingly un-neighbourly of them to have given us no warning of this happening.

I am looking for the Deed-of-Conditions we all signed up to when we moved in when our houses were newly built... I'm sure there is something in there about short-term lets not being allowed but I'll need to check.

If all the tenants are like the current people then maybe it won't be a problem - but what if a stag or hen party turns up one weekend? I should mention that this a terrace so we share a party wall with them which we know is not terribly soundproof. What recourse do I have for anti-social behaviour by people who might only be there for a couple of nights? Any ideas?

A strange car and a large family pulled up outside the house next door today and said family have taken up residence. No real problem with that, they seem perfectly respectable people and their kids are enjoying the garden with its giant trampoline, which is actually quite nice to see.

But it was a bit odd, and sure enough Mrs Beeb has found the house listed on AirBnB as a holiday rental.

The thing that really bugs me... we have been neighbours with the lady next door for 19 years. We exchange news about her now-grown-up kids, take parcels in for each other and write joint letters to the factors about the common grounds.... and yet this was never mentioned - She and her daughter who now lives with her with her two toddlers just went away yesterday and today these strangers appear with no word, no effort to tell us in advance or seek any opinion from us. I think is appallingly un-neighbourly of them to have given us no warning of this happening.

I am looking for the Deed-of-Conditions we all signed up to when we moved in when our houses were newly built... I'm sure there is something in there about short-term lets not being allowed but I'll need to check.

If all the tenants are like the current people then maybe it won't be a problem - but what if a stag or hen party turns up one weekend? I should mention that this a terrace so we share a party wall with them which we know is not terribly soundproof. What recourse do I have for anti-social behaviour by people who might only be there for a couple of nights? Any ideas?
Even if there are restrictive covenants you cannot enforce them.

op where are you based? how many beds? we're
looking for a new venue and AirBnB has been very fruitful in the past

It's not so much the legal stuff that bothers me... It's the fact that these are people we have known 19 years, who we have eaten and drank with, have shared memories with....and they just disappear without a word and rent their house as a holiday home without saying a single thing to us about it... It's just damn bad form.

Hopefully there won't be a problem.

Yes, I have rented from Airbnb myself ..but it so happens only in places where every property was a holiday rental. This is a quiet residential part of town, nowhere near the historical sites or tourist attractions.

If it turns out it's only for a couple of months during the summer and it's only decent well behaved people, so be it.... But I find it unforgivable that my neighbour made no mention of this when they had plenty of opportunities over many weeks and months.

Well, there’s absolutely nothing whatsoever that anyone, especially on this forum, can do about a neighbour not communicating with you. There’s no legal obligation there at all.

They are embarrassed? Same happened to us. Amazingly we never had a problem in seven years of not knowing who are neighbours would be from week to week. Our neighbour said he would never sell to a holiday letting company: I found that odd when he said it and I think his rather strong-willed wife buried his idealism. So they disappeared with no farewell and a few weeks later the holiday-makers arrived.
That was before AirBNB mind…

Maybe they scarpered unannounced because they knew you’d expect input into their affairs that you are not entitled to.

Do you have her number? Why not just drop her a text asking if she is OK as you haven't seen her for a while? It may open a friendly line of communication.

Given that your neighbours didn’t feel the need to tell you about their sub-letting, does it follow that if you see or hear their tenants trashing their property that you shouldn’t feel the need to tell your neighbours?

we like our neighbours, we share BBQ, go out for a drink with them, go out to dinner with them, look after each others cats......but i do not expect them to tell me everything, in fact i have no expectations of them at all beyond what happens on a day-to-day basis. It is their business what they decide to do with their property, not mine......

If we go away, we usually let the neighbours know. Partly because they’ll kindly put our bins out for us, but also so they know the house will be empty. If we were letting it to a group of strangers, I’d similarly let them know to expect to see some unfamiliar faces in and out for a week or two. If only to stop them calling the police about our squatters…

If we go away, we usually let the neighbours know. Partly because they’ll kindly put our bins out for us, but also so they know the house will be empty. If we were letting it to a group of strangers, I’d similarly let them know to expect to see some unfamiliar faces in and out for a week or two. If only to stop them calling the police about our squatters…
Yes I would find it extraordinary that my next door neighbour found out I had let the house out without telling them- they might think it was a break in and call the police. It just saves everyone hassle by letting them know.

advertisement

Back