advertisement

AirBnB next door

This is the thorny issue. We are all happy to take advantage of holiday lets which massively distort local house prices & enjoy the convenience of Air BnB but NIMBY.

We are all hypocrites & sometimes we end up living with the consequences;)

Relations with neighbours are just a matter of circumstance. Pointless taking things personally.

I'm surprised they didn't say anything given they've been neighbours for nearly 20 years, I'd always tell me neighbours if i was going to be away, just in case.
I was staying at my brothers house years ago while he and his wife were away on holiday, their neighbour was away too though I wasn't to know, both houses were large detatched bungalows with a high hedge dividing them. I was coming home from work and saw a large high top transit in the driveway, never thought anything of it as the chap next door drove a similar van. When the neighbours arrived home from their hols they'd been cleaned out.

I only have their house phone number. I've never needed to call them as they are only next door! I may send them a note via Airbnb suggesting they send us their contact details just in case there is a problem.
The house appears bookable all year round on Airbnb.... Hogmany could be interesting.

My neighbour on the other side lets his house out on a long-term basis - the last tenants were there for a year while their own house was being rebuilt. He has always let us know when tenants are changing, when he's coming back to stay for a while himself, and we have his contact details in case any problems arise - which has never happened touch wood.

They maybe find it a bit embarrassing that they are letting the house out?

You never know they maybe tried to find the right time to broach the subject, but it just didn't transpire..?

I'd relax about it.. They'll vet the renters in advance, so I doubt you'll get a bunch of 10 lads on a piss-up...

Can't abide pushy nosey entitled neighbours. Presumably you are fine with it
I merely suggested a reason for an unannounced departure of neighbours we and OP were friendly with. You then parked some assumption on our posts to suit you own prejudices and made an offensive pop at me. Not being a snowflake I won’t melt I’m afraid;)

indeed - and it is useful to maintain good and polite relations.

We mostly tell the neighbours when we are going to be away. But sometimes we don't - depends on the circumstances.
Indeed, a fine line between being too friendly & not amicable enough.

I think you’re entitled to be upset. In your position, I would be, too. I know that most holiday tenants are quiet and well behaved, but they are on holiday, so may not be as thoughtful of your peace and quiet as a permanent neighbour would.

If I had been in their position, I would have at least broached the subject with you to canvass your opinion (whether, I would have listened to it ot not is another matter!).

A strange car and a large family pulled up outside the house next door today and said family have taken up residence. No real problem with that, they seem perfectly respectable people and their kids are enjoying the garden with its giant trampoline, which is actually quite nice to see.

But it was a bit odd, and sure enough Mrs Beeb has found the house listed on AirBnB as a holiday rental.

The thing that really bugs me... we have been neighbours with the lady next door for 19 years. We exchange news about her now-grown-up kids, take parcels in for each other and write joint letters to the factors about the common grounds.... and yet this was never mentioned - She and her daughter who now lives with her with her two toddlers just went away yesterday and today these strangers appear with no word, no effort to tell us in advance or seek any opinion from us. I think is appallingly un-neighbourly of them to have given us no warning of this happening.

I am looking for the Deed-of-Conditions we all signed up to when we moved in when our houses were newly built... I'm sure there is something in there about short-term lets not being allowed but I'll need to check.

If all the tenants are like the current people then maybe it won't be a problem - but what if a stag or hen party turns up one weekend? I should mention that this a terrace so we share a party wall with them which we know is not terribly soundproof. What recourse do I have for anti-social behaviour by people who might only be there for a couple of nights? Any ideas?
I suppose it would have been polite for them to have told you about it but they have no obligation to do so.

If the new occupants are rowdy, you could call the police.

You talk of the factors - are you in Scotland?

Any covenant is enforceable by the covenant holder, I think.

Really?.....I've heard of cases where AirBnB lets have been used as pop-op brothels.
I did have the case where the owners of an AirBNB threatened to call the police if we didn't leave. We had rented a garden room for a photoshoot on the understanding that we could use the pool. The owners claimed that it didn't include the pool and when they saw what the first model was wearing they said that we should leave or the police would arrive.

I've just rented this Airbnb in Edinburgh, arrived earlier today in fact, owner said don't worry about next door he'll be fine, keeps himself to himself she said.

Now I know different :D:D:D

I've just rented this Airbnb in Edinburgh, arrived earlier today in fact, owner said don't worry about next door he'll be fine, keeps himself to himself she said.

Now I know different :D:D:D

Give the kids some water balloons to keep cool... ;)

advertisement

Back