advertisement

AI=Extinction...

Listening to interviews of people who actually use ChatGPT seriously, it is the marketing, advertising and journalists who will be jobless. So many people go on about upskilling because AI/ML will take menial jobs, but I suspect it will be the other way round. The end of a lot of office jobs and plenty of work for bin men.

Here's a priceless one -- can one of the claissists here help me identify the source of the quote?

Did Euripides say Time will discover everything to posterity; it is a babbler, and speaks even when no question is put?

ChatGPT
No, the quote "Time will discover everything to posterity; it is a babbler, and speaks even when no question is put" is not attributed to Euripides. This quote is actually from the Roman statesman and philosopher Seneca the Younger. Seneca was a prominent Stoic philosopher and a playwright who lived in ancient Rome. The quote reflects the Stoic belief in the power of time to reveal the truth and the idea that time can expose hidden things without any active effort.

User
Where did Seneca say it?

ChatGPT
The quote "Time will discover everything to posterity; it is a babbler, and speaks even when no question is put" is from Seneca the Younger's work titled "Moral Letters to Lucilius," specifically in Letter 79, section 10. Seneca wrote these letters to his friend Lucilius, offering him advice on various aspects of life and philosophy.

User
Can you give it to me in Latin?

ChatGPT
Certainly! The Latin version of the quote "Time will discover everything to posterity; it is a babbler, and speaks even when no question is put" by Seneca the Younger is:

"Omnia posteritas discet; tempus loquacissimus testis est."

User
Please check. Wikisource here does not support what you are saying https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Moral_letters_to_Lucilius/Letter_79

ChatGPT
I apologize for the confusion in my previous response. Upon further investigation, it appears that the quote I provided is not directly from Seneca's "Moral Letters to Lucilius." I was mistaken in my earlier response. It's important to note that while Seneca did write extensively on various philosophical topics, including the nature of time, the specific quote you mentioned might not be attributed to him. I appreciate your understanding, and I'm here to help with any other inquiries you might have.

User
So who said it?

ChatGPT
I apologize for the confusion earlier. The quote "Time will discover everything to posterity; it is a babbler, and speaks even when no question is put" is actually attributed to the Roman poet and philosopher Seneca the Younger. The quote can be found in his work titled "Quaestiones Naturales," specifically in Book 7, Question 30. Seneca was a prominent Stoic philosopher, statesman, and playwright in ancient Rome.

User
Can you give me a link to the text please

ChatGPT
I apologize for any confusion, but there seems to be a misunderstanding. The quote "Time will discover everything to posterity; it is a babbler, and speaks even when no question is put" is often attributed to Seneca the Younger, but there isn't a specific source or direct reference to a particular work where he said or wrote these exact words.

It's possible that this quote is a paraphrase or a summary of Seneca's ideas rather than a verbatim quote from his works. Unfortunately, I am unable to provide a specific link to the text because it doesn't exist in Seneca's known works in the exact form you provided. If you have any other questions or if there's a specific topic you're interested in, please feel free to let me know, and I'll be happy to assist further.

If you really want to get chat gpt confused, give it a picture of data in a spreadsheet and ask it to pick out the data from the cells. Should disabuse anyone that it is anything other than a stochastic parrrot.

Ai is starting to become a big issue with HR departments. Whereas before you could fairly easily weed out the chaff on application forms this is not the case now. This is leading to more ‘suitable’ applicants needing to be interviewed and having additional tests all which takes up a lot of time for HR and those interviewing.

Some interesting AI news. This particle:

Was caused by Roko's Basilisk re-entering the wormwhole and returning to the future after taking care of business at OpenAI and re-installing Father God Sam Altman.

Hope this clears it up.

Too much focus on ChatGPT in this thread. That isn't the arena where AI is going to be a risk factor. Sure misinformation, disemination of false truths etc is a problem but it's one reasonably easily handled by putting in legislation enforcing that all AI generated content is clearly labelled as such (both visually for humans to see and internally so other AI bots know it's AI generated).

The real risk from AI (even it's it's current phase which is really just machine learning, as has been said in this thread), is that it puts human jobs at risk, it has the potential to accelerate development of all manner of things both good and bad (vaccine or inccurable virus - take your pick etc).

The low academic acheivers of this world are already limited to stacking shelves down your local supermarket etc, that's not going to change, what will happen (and very quickly if employers - particularly tech ones - have their way), is that middling academic acheivers that currently make up the bulk of the office work force will be made redundant as there will be far far fewer positions reqiured once their job is enhanced through the use of AI. That means the majority of jobs that will be available in a given work environment will be the high tech ones, (such as those helping to develop AI ironically), all of which require high academic acheivement to fulfill. Sure it would be great to live in a world where nobody has to work, if they were just given money by the state etc due to the wealth being created by AI and a small minority of people, but that's not what the reality will look like. It'll be huge numbers of unemployed people being given miserly hand outs that are barely above subsistence level. With the inevitable huge increase in crime etc.

The low academic acheivers of this world are already limited to stacking shelves down your local supermarket etc,
A bit jugemental, this.

What limits these people is a sort of social apartheid.

As for AI, people need to remember to use this new type of tool carefully.

A bit like a hammer. A hammer may be used to create things used correctly.

A bit jugemental, this.

This example for instance...

:D

A bit jugemental, this.

I never said it was their fault they were low academic achievers did I? There are a lot of reasons why individuals don't do well at school. The results are facts though, and your career prospects with low academic achievement is also factual. Of course plenty of people who don't do well at school go on to careers which are hugely valuable to society. I was talking specifically about office jobs.

more than a "bit judgemental" - it is uninformed bollox
It's a forum, I'm not going to write chapter and verse to explain the complexity. I kept it basic, to make my actual point which was that AI is going to lead to job losses amongst the general workforce. I wasn't making a point about why or how people end up underacheiving at school.

AI is going to lead to job losses amongst the general workforce.

Quite. For very many current roles, AI will provide better, faster, cheaper, more reliable performance than the vast majority of people.

advertisement

Back