advertisement

AI=Extinction...

Darmok

pfm Member
Risk of extinction by AI should be ‘global priority’, say tech experts

Hundreds of tech leaders call for world to treat AI as danger on par with pandemics and nuclear war

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ai-should-be-global-priority-say-tech-experts

R-12534411-1537136219-3395.jpeg.jpg

:D

Yes never thought when a family member did a phd in it 30 years ago it would come to this

A friend doing a masters degree mentioned to me recently that students using AI to write their assignments has become a huge problem for the uni as it's far harder to detect with the existing plagiarism tools.

Yes apparently it can write lesson plans but they are not very good . This the problem , it can do your homework . I am sure gintonic will have a view on it

It did recently discover a new antibiotic as they trained it to soon so out of thousands of substances

A friend doing a masters degree mentioned to me recently that students using AI to write their assignments has become a huge problem for the uni as it's far harder to detect with the existing plagiarism tools.

I asked it a technical musical question "In music, what is striated time?" In its response, it mentioned that the composer Richard Barrett has used striated time in his music -- it mentioned some of his pieces which exemplify striated time.

Richard Barrett is a composer who has explored the use of smooth time in his music. His compositions often feature intricate polyrhythms and irregular meter, creating a sense of fluidity and continuous movement.

One example of Barrett's use of smooth time can be found in his composition "Codex V," written for ensemble and electronics in 2004. The piece features a constantly shifting rhythmic structure, with multiple layers of polyrhythms and complex interactions between the acoustic instruments and electronic sounds.

Another example is his composition "Dark Matter," written for string quartet and electronics in 2012. The piece features a continuous, flowing structure with a focus on developing a single musical idea over an extended period of time. The rhythms are irregular and constantly changing, creating a sense of fluidity and motion.

Overall, Barrett's music often features complex rhythmic structures and a focus on continuous development over time, which can be seen as examples of his exploration of the concept of smooth time.

Well as luck would have it, I know Richard Barrett, and I showed him the response. He said

Outstanding.

codex V is a score for performance by improvising musicians on any 12 or more unspecified instruments which might or might not involve electronics. The principal material consists of a single relatively simple melodic line to be interpreted differently (or improvised against) by different subgroups. It contains no multiple layers or polyrhythms.

DARK MATTER (sic) is not for string quartet but for voice and 18 instrumentalists with electronics. It doesn't feature a continuous flowing structure but is divided into 11 parts with different instrumentations, although they often overlap; nor does it develop a single musical idea in any conventional sense of the word.

So nul points for ChatGPT there, which would be more amusing were it not for the fact that students are quite possible writing this nonsense into essays and their professors aren't sufficiently familiar with the music to realise how wrong it is. I guess that counts as a first world problem though...

Well in a recent test when it came across a task it couldn't complete it successfully hired and paid a human to complete it. So no, but probably yes.

I don’t pay The Wife. I don’t think I need the robot.

AI is of course not AI. It is machine learning directed by very stupid humans.

There is a phrase which was used in relation to facial recognition which I think applies to ML and that is simply that there is no healthy positive use case which os not considerably outweighed by the obvious negatives and thus the only real comparison should be made to plutonium i.e. it should be banned across the board.

I have been looking for some time now, a hot water instant dispenser.

None so far I have seen do not actually boil the water. :(

Suggestions most welcome here at darmok towers. ;)

That’s what I’m talking aboot Willis…

s-l400.jpg

latest

"Share and enjoy..."

“He had found a Nutri-Matic machine which had provided him with a plastic cup filled with a liquid that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea. The way it functioned was very interesting. When the Drink button was pressed it made an instant but highly detailed examination of the subject’s taste buds, a spectroscopic analysis of the subject’s metabolism and then sent tiny experimental signals down the neural pathways to the taste centers of the subject’s brain to see what was likely to go down well. However, no one knew quite why it did this because it invariable delivered a cupful of liquid that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea. The Nutri-Matic was designed and manufactured by the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation whose complaint department now covers all the major landmasses of the first three planets in the Sirius Tau Star system.”

That’s what I’m talking aboot Willis…

s-l400.jpg

Thanks B Ts

I looked at a similar one with a built in AM / FM radio, they are much to bulky.

I just need a boiling water dispenser, compact as possible, to be next to me and my arm chair in my living room to save me a journey to my kitchen, to boil my cordless kettle and return to base with my mug of hot coffee.

I have mobility issues. :(

Thanks B Ts

I looked at a similar one with a built in AM / FM radio, they are much to bulky.

I just need a boiling water dispenser, compact as possible, to be next to me and my arm chair in my living room to save me a journey to my kitchen, to boil my cordless kettle and return to base with my mug of hot coffee.

I have mobility issues. :(

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0144OPWOG/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Currently The Wife gets the tea, but I would have one of these…

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back