advertisement

AI=Extinction...

One insight after working with chatgpt is not much its genius-ness, but that we humans are not much more intelligent than a mere simple automat with lots of input.
Humans write a programme which enables a computer to search all of the internet to produce a credible response to a question asked.

Not sure what people seem concerned about.

Humans write a programme which enables a computer to search all of the internet to produce a credible response to a question asked.

Not sure what people seem concerned about.

It's not just search. It's search and sift and summarise and articulate and, as my post about Proust shows, vigorously and articulately defend a complex and nuanced point of view. All this at the speed of thought, faster.

It's not just search. It's search and sift and summarise and articulate and, as my post about Proust shows, vigorously and articulately defend a complex and nuanced point of view. All this at the speed of thought, faster.
Faster and more wide ranging than human speed of thought perhaps (all credit to the programmers) but in no way "intelligent" .

Also it’s literally the beginning of this journey it’s barely been out 6 months and is exponentially better

Faster and more wide ranging than human speed of thought perhaps (all credit to the programmers) but in no way "intelligent" .
But getting closer to it. And there is considerable harm possible already. Misinformation, and with influence, deliberate disinformation may be presented most convincingly. And you may not want to discuss suicide with one....

5700.jpg

Robot takeover? Not quite. Here’s what AI doomsday would look like

Experts say the fallout from powerful AI will be less a nuclear bomb and more a creeping deterioration of society

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/jun/03/ai-danger-doomsday-chatgpt-robots-fears

Isn't that already happening to the West? Brexit, Trump, Cambridge Analytica/Palantir, Johnson, Putin, religious fascism in the US, etc etc...

But getting closer to it. And there is considerable harm possible already. Misinformation, and with influence, deliberate disinformation may be presented most convincingly. And you may not want to discuss suicide with one....
Not close at all as far as I am concerned: clever programming that gives the impression of intelligence does not equate to self-awareness.

Not sure what asking about suicide has to do with it. There are hundreds of sites run by real people that cater for that...

Not close at all as far as I am concerned: clever programming that gives the impression of intelligence does not equate to self-awareness.

Not sure what asking about suicide has to do with it. There are hundreds of sites run by real people that cater for that...
OK.

Which would already be better than most GP visits, journalism editorials, and many other "vocations"

ChatGPT is good at summarising the past but as to being creative in a human way, no. It can make a guess but it does not do any analysis on whether that guess has any utility for that it requires human input, when it can do the analysis of its own guesses and retrain itself in real time I will be worried, until then it’s a tool for good or ill.

ChatGPT is good at summarising the past but as to being creative in a human way, no. It can make a guess but it does not do any analysis on whether that guess has any utility for that it requires human input, when it can do the analysis of its own guesses and retrain itself in real time I will be worried, until then it’s a tool for good or ill.
Much of what we class as creative is mostly based on peoples’ experience of different situations and reusing this experience in some way. “Real” creativity isn’t that common and yes, it’s real human creativity that AI can’t do…or I hope it can’t!

@russel how do you define creativity? I’m pretty aligned to Mo Gawdat’s definition in the Diary of a CEO vid I linked to, and the predicted rate of improvement in the AI’s IQ is astonishing. As a ‘creative’ by trade, once you have the ingredients to hand, it’s using some principles and techniques to find the novel combinations that are ‘creative’. Machine learning is pretty good at pattern recognition!

If you want some pretty tangible examples of AI being creative, take a look at some of the output from midjourney and stable diffusion etc.

The vid I linked to certainly got me thinking about which jobs are going to move to AI in the next few years. I quite like the idea of taking up thatching or perhaps tree surgery :)

@russel how do you define creativity? I’m pretty aligned to Mo Gawdat’s definition in the Diary of a CEO vid I linked to, and the predicted rate of improvement in the AI’s IQ is astonishing. As a ‘creative’ by trade, once you have the ingredients to hand, it’s using some principles and techniques to find the novel combinations that are ‘creative’. Machine learning is pretty good at pattern recognition!

The combinational play that is part of the creative process AI can do but what it doesn’t do is analysis of what it has created. I.e if I ask it to write a program it will give an output that may or may not be correct but it can’t run the code, test it, fix bugs and learn from its mistakes, apart from that it’s intelligent.

The process you’ve just described is effectively machine learning. I highly recommend giving the Mo Gawdat interview a watch or listen if you haven’t already.

As someone who actually uses supposed AI in their daily work it's really nothing like as "clever" as it's cracked up to be. It works from an idealized starting point which simply doesn't exist in the real world.

The process you’ve just described is effectively machine learning. I highly recommend giving the Mo Gawdat interview a watch or listen if you haven’t already.

He says in the interview that chat GPT is the equivalent of a school kid who has just learned a lot of facts with no understanding.

advertisement

Back