advertisement

Ageing. It's a Bugger....

One of my jobs for some years was picking poo put of a chaps backside !!! Not sad I don't do it anymore ...

Next time you see someone tombstoning off a cliff into water just remind them they will have to do that for years afterwards if they get paralysed!!

One of my jobs for some years was picking poo put of a chaps backside !!! Not sad I don't do it anymore ...

Next time you see someone tombstoning off a cliff into water just remind them they will have to do that for years afterwards if they get paralysed!!

Digital manual evacuation.

Good for you @hifinutt - that is a task that some would avoid. Takes some skill as well. Especially if you are having a conversation with the beneficiary.
I have done the procedure, quite rewarding in a way.

Faecal Impaction is no joke.

'Live Streaming ...'.

Actually, I think there was an 'analyse your poo' programme on C4 a while back with some nutty woman dietician.
The infamous ‘Doctor*’ Gillian McKeith. Turns out she wasn’t just analysing it but talking it. The Tory Party wanted her as an advisor in much the same gross error of judgement as appointing Sir Philip Green as efficiency tsar- efficient at trousering the till contents.

*mail order from an Oklahoma Prontaprint franchise.

Two words. Psyllium Husk. Should have tried it years ago.

Total hell is when it starts out, then gets stuck fast. I know.

Great stuff - I have it every morning as part of my breakfast. It's very low carb., mostly just fibre, and excellent for filling you up. I was recommended it as part of my Keto-type diet, not for constipation, but it sure keeps you regular!

The problem with using Fybogel or similar fibre-intense product to treat constipation is that whilst it works very well for some types of constipation, it can exacerbate a problem.

Found myself bereft of Fybogel today. The cause seems to be a mistake on the part of my physician...who has prescribed 30 sachets per month..when really I need 60.

This got me thinking whether 'Psyllium Husk' is as effective.. because AFAICS.. it is a lot cheaper overall.

Ah but, presumably you get 'free' prescriptions? - one of the few advantages of being over 60 is this 'perk'.
Is that right? Amazing the things you can still learn when you have turned 65. In fact I’m not sure I’ve ever paid for a prescription - I think I was too young to pay for the last one. I remember a doctor telling me to take something about twenty years ago, but saying they were cheaper over the counter than with a prescription. Some kind of painkiller, probably.

It's always been a mess.
For e.g., certain groups such as diabetics always qualified for free prescriptions at any age,as did others in certain pretty tightly defined groups, and those on certain benefits.

Whereas people requiring long term cardio meds.. like myself..could end up paying for four or five items a month..which adds up. For the last few years before I qualified for freebies, I bought those 'pre payment certificates', which could be had for either 3 or 12 months and currently cost approx £30 and £100 respectively.

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-ppc

It's always been a mess.
For e.g., certain groups such as diabetics always qualified for free prescriptions at any age,as did others in certain pretty tightly defined groups, and those on certain benefits.

Whereas people requiring long term cardio meds.. like myself..could end up paying for four or five items a month..which adds up. For the last few years before I qualified for freebies, I bought those 'pre payment certificates', which could be had for either 3 or 12 months and currently cost approx £30 and £100 respectively.

I don’t qualify for free prescriptions, so get a years certificate. Saves a bob or two.

Age related deafness is no longer part of the NHS I discovered this afternoon.
I now need a new referral to ‘Specsavers’ or Scrivens ffs.
The bill is paid for by the nhs, but I’m betting the quality of the devices goes down the pan.
Free batteries and device testing still available for now.

It's always been a mess.
For e.g., certain groups such as diabetics always qualified for free prescriptions at any age,

Diabetics only qualify for free prescriptions if they’re on medication. I was Type 2 diet controlled and therefore didn’t get free prescriptions whereas my boss had Diabetes Insipidus (which is completely unrelated to T1 and T2) and she got free prescriptions. As I’m also asthmatic, this annoyed me as asthmatics do not get free prescriptions. I used to have annual pre-payments but stopped once I passed 60 as that entitled me to free prescriptions anyway.

Age related deafness is no longer part of the NHS I discovered this afternoon.
I now need a new referral to ‘Specsavers’ or Scrivens ffs.
The bill is paid for by the nhs, but I’m betting the quality of the devices goes down the pan.
Free batteries and device testing still available for now.

Because my referral papers had gone out of date (Specsavers gave me wrong info. a couple of years back) I now have to go through the system again (enquired a few months ago) but effectively it's the same procedure and you get the same NHS sponsored aids regardless of where you go to get them. Too much of a hassle at the mo' with this Covid regime.

Am also waiting 'til normality arrives at Specsavers so I can choose my own frames rather than the inordinate time-waste of them bringing the frames over to you (I have specific needs). I might be waiting some time.......!

advertisement

Back