advertisement

Advice... returning back to cycling.

PS Rebranding is an industry scourge. Look at Hunt carbon wheels. If you like them they are available elsewhere for just over half the price but the trendy boys prefer to pay for the brand.

I think your (enviable) situation might be a little different from the average UK MAMIL.
Indeed, we had this discussion the other day. The Alps is a whole different world.

PS A compact and 28 cog was enough to get me up several 25% gradients in the Yorkshire Dales last weekend.

I hardly know where to start with this.

Let me know where an Ultegra groupset is £500 and let me know what these rare tools are for Campag. I work with Campag on five bikes all the time. Here’s what I most use. Hex keys (same for Shimano) Torx keys (same for Shimano) screwdrivers (same for Shimano) torque wrench (same for Shimano) chain whip (same for Shimano). You get the picture. There are very, very few Campag specific tools needed. Even the cassette locknut can be done with a Shimano tool. Hell’s teeth Campag 11 and Shimano 11 are pretty much interchangeable.

Then you say that Ultegra will beat any Campag groupset. Mmmm. I have no idea why you say that because it’s not true. If it was Shimano wouldn’t make Duraace and Campag would be out of business. And yes I have had Ultegra. It’s superb. No issues at all.

But I’ve left the best until last. “Not all bike shops can cope with Campag” There are no words . . .
No need get emotional. Shimano groupset offer almost identical performance from 105 upwards, the main difference is weight. Walk into most cycle shops & try a get a Campag cassette/chain off the shelf. Parts are not as easy to source & therefore more expensive. Campag has lost a lot of market share, it is barely spec'd as standard on any bikes, most pro teams use Shimano. It's just not as good & is more expensive. Doesn't Campag still use single pull brakes?

@HarryB The Yorkshire Dales = my old training / stomping ground. A large part of my enjoyment returning to cycling is I can be in the Dales within the hour :)

No need get emotional. Shimano groupset offer almost identical performance from 105 upwards, the main difference is weight. Walk into most cycle shops & try a get a Campag cassette/chain off the shelf. Parts are not as easy to source & therefore more expensive. Campag has lost a lot of market share, it is barely spec'd as standard on any bikes, most pro teams use Shimano. It's just not as good & is more expensive. Doesn't Campag still use single pull brakes?
Again, mostly not worth the time answering. But why would you need/want a Campag chain? KMC = sorted.

You say Shimano is not as good. You base this statement on what?

I noticed you ignored almost every point in my previous demolition of your cycling expertise.

Most pro teams use Shimano. So what? Most pro teams use whatever product they get the deal on. It’s that simple.

Again, mostly not worth the time answering. But why would you need/want a Campag chain? KMC = sorted.

You say Shimano is not as good. You base this statement on what?

I noticed you ignored almost every point in my previous demolition of your cycling expertise.
Calm down. Are Campag parts more expensive & harder to source? I believe the answer is yes. Shimano have won the race on this one, sorry. If Campag reduced the number of options in their range they could reduce costs & offer a more cogent offering. I don't recall claiming 'expertise' but customers have voted with their wallets & bike manufacturers do generally spec with Shimano. I believe it is the cranks that require different tools across the range, this is not the case with Shimano. Hardly anyone in my cycling club use Campag, generally the older members who grew up with it.

About time I got out in it then. Living in Leeds there’s not really much of an excuse, and I finish a contract next week so it’s time to get the machine out and have a whizz round. Leeds – Otley – Pateley Bridge – H gate – home is a good round at 60-odd miles. Anything that takes you through Blubberhouses is a good day out.

I ought to get out around Hebden Bridge too. Big hills. That’s when the triple comes out to play.

Price/value is equally important to your average punter. Pro teams do take performance into account

Wrong again. But please give me the benefit of your racing and general cycling experience and tell me how the performance of either Campag or Shimano has been detrimental.

Are you on Strava BTW? I feel I could learn things from following you.

I believe it is the cranks that require different tools across the range, this is not the case with Shimano
Get outta here! Cranks tools are a PITA regardless, Shimano included. Since we moved on from the nasty pronged spanner and loose balls still used on cheap bikes, there are no fewer than 3 crank/BB pullers used on the Shimano square taper bearings alone. I know, I had to buy 2 and borrow a 3rd some while ago to rip out a BB. That’s before you start with Hollowtech. I’ve not so far had the pleasure, though I am sure that one day I will end up fitting one.

Calm down. Are Campag parts more expensive & harder to source? I believe the answer is yes. Shimano have won the race on this one, sorry. If Campag reduced the number of options in their range they could reduce costs & offer a more cogent offering. I don't recall claiming 'expertise' but customers have voted with their wallets & bike manufacturers do generally spec with Shimano. I believe it is the cranks that require different tools across the range, this is not the case with Shimano. Hardly anyone in my cycling club use Campag, generally the older members who grew up with it.

Any chance of you answering any of my previous comments?

These bike shops that struggle with Campag?

The special rare chains you need for Campag.

Your evidence that Ultegra is as good/better than anything Campag produce.

And here’s some new ones for you as you are obviously the resident expert here. Have you ridden a Campag groupset bike. If so what was it? And have you ridden Dura Ace and if so is weight the only difference.

I look forward to your wisdom. Thanks.

PS Which Shimano parts are you talking?

Get outta here! Cranks tools are a PITA regardless, Shimano included. Since we moved on from the nasty pronged spanner and loose balls still used on cheap bikes, there are no fewer than 3 crank/BB pullers used on the Shimano square taper bearings alone. I know, I had to buy 2 and borrow a 3rd some while ago to rip out a BB. That’s before you start with Hollowtech. I’ve not so far had the pleasure, though I am sure that one day I will end up fitting one.

Absolutely right Steve. And that’s without worrying about SRAM.

Campag’s Ultra Torque cranks are so simple that my four-year old grandson helped with some the other day. Tools required are few and are cheap and readily available. Skill required is virtually zero. But I’m still not 100% convinced re the wavy washer.

But I’m sure our resident expert and Shimano fanboy will spout some more pearls of wisdom to tell you where you’ve been going wrong with those cranks ;-)

About time I got out in it then. Living in Leeds there’s not really much of an excuse, and I finish a contract next week so it’s time to get the machine out and have a whizz round. Leeds – Otley – Pateley Bridge – H gate – home is a good round at 60-odd miles. Anything that takes you through Blubberhouses is a good day out.

I ought to get out around Hebden Bridge too. Big hills. That’s when the triple comes out to play.

Good idea. Throw Greenhow Bank into the mix. I went up about a month ago. I’d forgotten how long and tough it is.

I've done Greenhow Bank I think, as part of a loop of Rosedale, but that was on a MTB so I had compact triple up front, 9 speeds at the back and whatever ridiculously low gearing that gives you.

advertisement

Back