advertisement

Advice... returning back to cycling.

Some gravel bikes are 1x SRAM, but increasing numbers are using more traditional 2x group sets from Shimano
I have a triple on my roady. Yes, I know that this is about as popular as a halal samosa stand at a UKIP rally, but I don't care. Sometimes you're just knackered and it's a big hill.

I was kind of in an opposite position to the OP. Almost novice cyclist 50yr old just bought my first bike since a bmx as a school kid (although I’ve done the odd bit of cycling on borrowed kit in the intervening years). Went for a gravel bike because of the flexibility it offers. If I find I really get into it, it is decent enough on the road until I go full the full Mamil.

I went gravel bike last year as well. Reilly titanium with Di2 Ultegra and it is perfect. I do mainly road but a fair bit of tow path and trails, very happy with it. Quite low impact visuals so does not attract a lot of attention which I like

reilly-gradient.jpg

I have a feeling triples will come back into fashion one day.

I think the compact crankset killed them, perhaps in conjunction with 10/11 spd.

Compact + 11/28 cassette (11spd) should be good for everything bar loaded touring or riding up cliffs, and not many people need 53/11.

I have a compact 34x32 lowest gear and I use it every day on my commute!

I am thinking of getting a gravel bike to replace my old crosser for off road duty and I would ideally like something even lower for climbing on gravel roads. there is lots of climbing to do around here...

Surprised Tony L hasn’t been on here to give his view of the wisdom, or otherwise, of carbon, esp forks. If you read of his experience of being taken out by a van on a roundabout, you’d probably think twice about carbon construction.

Or, the OP could be sensible and listen to proper cyclists who know what they’re talking about ;-)

Get a new carbon bike in the sale, plenty of offers at the moment, sell off all the old stuff & use the cash. Campag is no longer competitive, go Shimano with the new ultegra groupset. Use Strava as a motivator but most of all, enjoy it.

Campag is no longer competitive. Really. I think you’ll find there’s not much difference in price between Chorus and Ultegra. Or Record and Dura ace.

Planetx pro carbon evo, with ultegra or sram force. Job done. Yes I work there.

As I’ve said before I’ve ridden many, many bikes in the 50+ years that I’ve been riding bikes. The PX pro carbon is the worst frame I’ve ever ridden. I don’t work there.

Campag is no longer competitive. Really. I think you’ll find there’s not much difference in price between Chorus and Ultegra. Or Record and Dura ace.
There is in actuality a big difference as shimano is often discounted. Also, cost of replacement parts for Campag is far higher, you also need special tools & not all bike shops can cope with Campag. Ultegra will out perform any Campag groupset & can be bought for about £500 (non Di2)

Anyway, here’s my advice FWIW.

I’d keep your bike as a 2nd or winter bike and build a bling carbon bike. I’d buy everything 2nd hand as the market is a buyer’s paradise ATM.

Over the past ten years there have been a lot of newcomers into the road bike market and most of them do fewer miles on their bling steeds than I walk. Basically they want to be part of the culture without actually turning the pedals. Then they discover there’s work involved and they sell up.

To give an example of what bargains are out there, I’ve just bought a Campag Super Record 11sp rear mech for £66. Superb working order with a little scratch. I’m putting together a bike for the turbo and will probably bring it in for under £400. I recently missed out on a Super Record chainset for about £120.

As you’re an ‘old hand’ at this cycling caper you don’t need me to tell you that a good frame is your priority and starting point. There are loads of Ridley ex-team bikes on EBay ATM and the prices are silly cheap. I’ve owned a couple of Ridley’s. The Ridley Helium was lightning quick but too stiff for me but the Noah was lovely in all respects. A left field tip for you is Isaac. My lightest bike is an Isaac (about 6.6kg with light wheels). I’ve owned three Isaacs and regret selling the other two.

I’m a Pinarello man so excuse the Italian bias when I say look at them but also Colnago and Wilier. Not all carbon frames are the same and most of the Chinese open mould stuff is utter garbage so avoid them even if they have UK ‘brand’ stickers on them.

As you’ve previously been a Campag man you may want to stick with them. If you decide to buy new then Merlin Cycles are usually unbeatable on price and service. But as I said, I’d advise buying used.

I’d definitely go for a compact chainset. All my bikes are now compact though the little ring is only used in hilly areas of the country. 12-29 cassette should cover everything you’ll ever need unless you live in the Alps.

If you have more money than sense there’s lots of trendy alleged UK brands out there who buy in Russian titanium frames and treble the price (to pay for the logos) or go the whole hog and get a new Pinarello F12 with the latest wireless SRAM on it. To you, about 12 grand.

Welcome back to cycling. Build something that looks gorgeous and that you’ll enjoy riding. Good luck.

I think the compact crankset killed them, perhaps in conjunction with 10/11 spd.

Compact + 11/28 cassette (11spd) should be good for everything bar loaded touring or riding up cliffs, and not many people need 53/11.
Yep. I am shortly going MTB bikepacking in the Greek mountains with a friend of mine and am dusting down my 3x9 groupset with 22-44 upfront and 11-32 up back to go on a 26'er. My mate is taking a 29+ (3" tyres) bike with 30t upfront and 1-50 eagle up back. He has not been doing much cycling recently and I suspect he will find it hard on the knees on the longer climbs with even our light bike packing luggage.

There is in actuality a big difference as shimano is often discounted. Also, cost of replacement parts for Campag is far higher, you also need special tools & not all bike shops can cope with Campag. Ultegra will out perform any Campag groupset & can be bought for about £500 (non Di2)

I hardly know where to start with this.

Let me know where an Ultegra groupset is £500 and let me know what these rare tools are for Campag. I work with Campag on five bikes all the time. Here’s what I most use. Hex keys (same for Shimano) Torx keys (same for Shimano) screwdrivers (same for Shimano) torque wrench (same for Shimano) chain whip (same for Shimano). You get the picture. There are very, very few Campag specific tools needed. Even the cassette locknut can be done with a Shimano tool. Hell’s teeth Campag 11 and Shimano 11 are pretty much interchangeable.

Then you say that Ultegra will beat any Campag groupset. Mmmm. I have no idea why you say that because it’s not true. If it was Shimano wouldn’t make Duraace and Campag would be out of business. And yes I have had Ultegra. It’s superb. No issues at all.

But I’ve left the best until last. “Not all bike shops can cope with Campag” There are no words . . .

As I’ve said before I’ve ridden many, many bikes in the 50+ years that I’ve been riding bikes. The PX pro carbon is the worst frame I’ve ever ridden. I don’t work there.
True, but the only Ali bike I've owned which was better (in terms of compromising road buzz, compliance and stiffness in acceleration) was a Klein Quantum Pro - which was a tad pricier. In all respects is better than the CAAD Alis I had in the late 90's and early 00's. I do speak from the perspective of one doing non-competitive 50-100 mile rides as a leisure cyclist rather than racing, though. I've certainly buzzed past plenty of Johnny come latelies in replica team kit on Di2 bikes on mine.

True, but the only Ali bike I've owned which was better (in terms of compromising road buzz, compliance and stiffness in acceleration) was a Klein Quantum Pro - which was a tad pricier. In all respects is better than the CAAD Alis I had in the late 90's and early 00's. I do speak from the perspective of one doing non-competitive 50-100 mile rides as a leisure cyclist rather than racing, though. I've certainly buzzed past plenty of Johnny come latelies in replica team kit on Di2 bikes on mine.

Apologies. I should have stated “worst carbon frame I’ve ever ridden” I did have a Blackhawk that came close.

As for buzzing past the fanboys with replica team kit I do it every day even though I’m 63 and crap.

@HarryB you are spot on re the secondhand market. I had no idea there was so much top flight kit out there at quite low prices. I'm more than happy to benefit from those who buy into the sport and then decide its too much effort.

Yep frame first followed by wheels. I've also clocked the Noah and must confess I do like what Ridley produce. I'm just checking out the Isaac website as I've not come across these guys before - thanks for the tip.

I'm pretty sure I'm not going open mould frame. I'm not being critical of companies that use them, but one reason I'm interested in Look frames/bikes is that it is a long established manufacturer who makes their own frames/forks in house.

I once had a Colnago Master with chrome lugs and the master diamond finish but I trashed it when I badly miss judged a corner and went straight into a ditch.

As a former Campag man, I have thought about sticking with them, but its Shimano for me and I can get it quite cheap when I go to Thailand. I must confess Campag still has the "look".

One thing is for certain, I WILL be riding a compact, as I need to be sensible and I actually want to ride up hills!

Funny you should mention Russian titanium rebranded. I did look at titanium very briefly as some of the Lynskey bikes can be had at a reasonable price and also looked at J. Laverack but have ditched the idea of titanium.

Cheers.

@Dave G I totally get the Shimano move. Go Ultegra electronic. It’s brilliant for the money.

I have three pals who ride Looks. One is over ten years old. The others are new. All superb.

Oh, also take a look at the Argon 18 Nitrogen. It would be high on my list for something a bit different.

advertisement

Back