advertisement

Advice on upgrading cables on Naim NAC282/NAP250DR

Thanks for the replies and useful comments guys.

My Dual TeddyCap is the older one (Mk3) with no logo on the front.

Currently thinking of starting off by upgrading the 4pin Din to 3pin XLR cable on the NAP250DR. As well as Chord Signature TA, I am also considering the Witch Hat Morgana equivalent cable, which is £450 (ie cheaper than the Chord one).

Has anyone tried the Witch Hat Morgana cables?
Doing a search on here will give a couple hits, you’ll probably get more joy over on the Naim forum I guess.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/witch-hat-morgana-vs-witch-hat-hatpin-4.252278/

The Naim forum is a funny place you can talk about some cables and not others, witch hat seems to be OK. The AR Sound Lunar 4 pin din to XLR is £298 and I was very pleased with it when I had an all Naim system. Chords pricing is just ridiculous these days and no sooner have you bought a cable they always seem to offer something better just round the corner, maybe that's what you pay for!

I've tried Chord Signature speakerwire with no success.
Same with Sign. interconnect, unfortunately not at the same time.

Guess its a good idea trying as a full loom to get some sort of synergy.
Is the speaker cable the older Chord Signature or current Signature XL? I have the Signature XL in my system and it sounds better than all cables I tried which include the Chord Epic and NACA5, in both Naim and non-Naim systems.

I tried the flashback 3 pin cable a few years ago, think I still have it. Made a modest improvement; keep meaning to update my classified so drop me a PM if you want to try one?

Thanks for the replies and useful comments guys.

My Dual TeddyCap is the older one (Mk3) with no logo on the front.

Currently thinking of starting off by upgrading the 4pin Din to 3pin XLR cable on the NAP250DR. As well as Chord Signature TA, I am also considering the Witch Hat Morgana equivalent cable, which is £450 (ie cheaper than the Chord one).

Has anyone tried the Witch Hat Morgana cables?
Yes, I have them in my system, as well as TP Burndy’s. As previously stated, their excellent.

Is the speaker cable the older Chord Signature or current Signature XL? I have the Signature XL in my system and it sounds better than all cables I tried which include the Chord Epic and NACA5, in both Naim and non-Naim systems.

Long ago so probably an early edition Signature.
I preferred both Odyssey and Epic used later on.

You're not allowed to talk about 3rd party cables on the Naim forum if they carry power (?!), but if they carry signal only then it's allowed.
Lots of love for the Morgana 4pin XLR there.

You're not allowed to talk about 3rd party cables on the Naim forum if they carry power (?!), but if they carry signal only then it's allowed.
Lots of love for the Morgana 4pin XLR there.

MJS - am I right in thinking you are a "Witch Hat person"? I just ordered some Phantom speaker cable. I am thinking of getting the Morgana XLR Stereo (NAP250) cable, rather than the Chord Siganture TA cable. Am I right in thinking the next cable to replace on my NAC282 would be the 5pin DIN cable that carries power and signal to the NAC282? Which exact Morgana cable is that? I guess it is not worth replacing the other 5 pin DIN cable that just carries power? Is that right?

Thanks,
Nick

MJS - am I right in thinking you are a "Witch Hat person"? I just ordered some Phantom speaker cable. I am thinking of getting the Morgana XLR Stereo (NAP250) cable, rather than the Chord Siganture TA cable. Am I right in thinking the next cable to replace on my NAC282 would be the 5pin DIN cable that carries power and signal to the NAC282? Which exact Morgana cable is that? I guess it is not worth replacing the other 5 pin DIN cable that just carries power? Is that right?

Thanks,
Nick
https://witchhatservicing.co.uk/2019/04/18/what-cable-you-upgrade-first/

Another vote for witchhat! I'm using this:4pin DIN to XLR (Hatpin 4X) - Mono Pair for NAP135, 300, 500, Locking aka Bayonet for connecting my naim NAP 300DR with teddy dualcap, its a big step in improvement to the naim standard wires. (and not really expensive). For connecting the NAC282 I ´m using teddypardo cables, which as I think, do a quite good job. Phantom speaker cable is also a "best buy" for the price, I'm very pleased with it.

I am going to go the Witch Hat Morgana cable route - they seem to get good reviews and are a lot cheaper than the Chord Signature TA cables.

I will definitely start with a Witch Hat Morgana XLR cable for my NAP250DR - I have now read lots of rave reviews of that cable. I think I may also get a WH Morgana 5 pin SNAIC cable for my NAC282/DualTeddyCap - for the link that carries both power and audio signal. Does anyone have experience of that cable? Is it better than the standard Naim/TP SNAIC cables?

However, I am now thinking that it is not worth upgrading the other 5-pin SNAIC cable which only carries power to the NAC282 - is that sensible?

i did get bollocked for commenting on a Witch Hat Hatpin 4 running between two Supercaps. I pointed out that, in this particular usage case, there was no power, only signals and return......the esteemed Richard decreed that because the SNAIC4 "could" carry power then discussion was forbidden. LOL.

To answer the OP's question, I have mostly Witch Hat "standard" (i.e. not Morgana) cables throughout the Naim system. The ones I feel made the most difference were the DIN4-XLR between SNAXO & 250s.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back