advertisement

Advice on upgrading cables on Naim NAC282/NAP250DR

Crazeenick

pfm Member
(I am requesting input from people who believe cables matter - I don't want to start up the boring old debate between cable-believers and non-believers!)

I have a Naim NAC282 preamp and a Naim NAP250DR power amp. I power these using a Dual TeddyCap (which is equivalent to two Naim HiCaps and a NAPSC). These are currently linked using the following four Naim-type cables:

- One 4-pin DIN to 3-pin XLR cable (carries signal to the NAP250DR)
- Two SNAIC 5pin DIN-to-5pin DIN cables taking power from the Dual TeddyCap to the two NAC282 power inputs
- One 2-pin NAPSC cable between NAPSC output on Dual TeddyCap and NAPSC socket on NAC282

I am wanting to upgrade these cables to something better - currently thinking Chord Signature Tuned Aray cables. These cost around £800 each cable! I believe the Chord Sarum cables are better still, but outside my budget!

Q1 - am I right in thinking that top priority should be the first cable - the 4-pin DIN to 3-pin XLR cable? ie that this would make most difference to SQ?

Q2 - am I right to think there is little point in upgrading the NAPSC cable as this carries power only, and even then, only drives the display and logic control circuits of the NAC282.

Q3 - do people think it worthwhile upgrading the two 5-pin DIN SNAIC cables? I know these carry power, I'm less clear as to whether they also carry audio signals.

Q4 -someone on Ebay is selling a used Chord Signature Tuned Aray 5-pin DIN cable at the moment; they have removed two pins from the plugs at each end to "improve sound quality". I have not heard of this practice before- is this something others have come across? And would the modified 3pin cable work OK between my Dual TeddyCap and NAC282?

Any advice welcome or experiences from others who have done similar cable upgrades on their Naim amps.

Many thanks!

Nick

The Witch Hat Audio Morgana cables are very good.
I’m using their XLRs and have used the 4 and 5 pin SNAIC and their 5 pin interconnect too.

They offer a 30 day money back guarantee so little risk, however you might have to wait 3-4 weeks for dispatch.

I found the interconnect and XLRs to be the biggest step up from the standard Naim cables.

Hope that helps

I had a 252 / supercap dr into a 250dr

I borrowed a chord signiture turned aray from a dealer on a sale or return... fully expecting to return it as after all...a single cable cannot be worth that much...but people were raving about it...so I wanted to hear it

It never went back.... could not believe how good the chord cable was... money well spent

They do come up second hand now and again if you can wait

The cable only has 3pins at the amp end anyway... doesn't it??

I used AR sound lunar as a replacement for all my naim cables and they made a substantial improvement. Naim cables can be easily bettered elsewhere

WH Morgana excellent but pricey. TP have a new cable supplier, there cables are also excellent (and cheaper!). Don’t bother upgrading the 282 digital power cable, makes no difference.

I tried a few things myself and the one that made the biggest sound improvement was a Siltech DIN cable between my CD5XS and my Supernait that I use as a preamp to feed my NAP 250.2 combined with a Hicap.
Still using it and will stay.
For all the other cables, they did not make a major difference to me so I’m still using the standard Naim interconnect cables.
You may need to know that for me, the original Naim cable is on par with the Flashback Sales cables so maybe I’m just not that picky on cables............

I used AR sound lunar as a replacement for all my naim cables and they made a substantial improvement. Naim cables can be easily bettered elsewhere
It’s a while since I had Naim, I also settled on AR Lunar cables along with some TP ones, eventually replacing all the Naim cables with them.

(I am requesting input from people who believe cables matter - I don't want to start up the boring old debate between cable-believers and non-believers!)

I have a Naim NAC282 preamp and a Naim NAP250DR power amp. I power these using a Dual TeddyCap (which is equivalent to two Naim HiCaps and a NAPSC). These are currently linked using the following four Naim-type cables:

- Two SNAIC 5pin DIN-to-5pin DIN cables taking power from the Dual TeddyCap to the two NAC282 power inputs
- One 2-pin NAPSC cable between NAPSC output on Dual TeddyCap and NAPSC socket on NAC282

I am wanting to upgrade these cables to something better - currently thinking Chord Signature Tuned Aray cables. These cost around £800 each cable! I believe the Chord Sarum cables are better still, but outside my budget!

Q1 - am I right in thinking that top priority should be the first cable - the 4-pin DIN to 3-pin XLR cable? ie that this would make most difference to SQ?

Q2 - am I right to think there is little point in upgrading the NAPSC cable as this carries power only, and even then, only drives the display and logic control circuits of the NAC282.

Q3 - do people think it worthwhile upgrading the two 5-pin DIN SNAIC cables? I know these carry power, I'm less clear as to whether they also carry audio signals.

Q4 -someone on Ebay is selling a used Chord Signature Tuned Aray 5-pin DIN cable at the moment; they have removed two pins from the plugs at each end to "improve sound quality". I have not heard of this practice before- is this something others have come across? And would the modified 3pin cable work OK between my Dual TeddyCap and NAC282?

Any advice welcome or experiences from others who have done similar cable upgrades on their Naim amps.

Many thanks!

Nick

I am not sure if the people who responded have the Dual Teddycap as most have a Naim PSU. I used to have a Dual Teddycap on the 282/250DR and briefly tried the Chord Signature Tuned Aray with the Dual Teddycap. I have forgotten the experience but there was a difference between the Chord and standard Teddy cables which are white in colour. I didn't spend much time with the Dual Teddycap as the Hicap DR was used with the 282/250DR. After I did an extensive comparison between the Hicap DR and Dual Teddycap, the latter was removed from the system and the Hicap DR stayed in the main system, permanently.

The Chord Signature TA was extensively compared to the standard Naim cables in the 282/250DR/HCDR. In this system the standard Naim cables were outclassed by the Chord. The Naim cables sound flat and lifeless in comparison.

Unfortunately I couldn't really provide accurate answers to your questions(with the Dual Teddycap) but I can surely say that there will be a difference if you swap the cables out.

I recall comparing the standard Naim cables to the white-coloured Teddy cables on the dual Teddycap and found the Teddy cables to sound better than the Naim standard cables. Not exactly the response you were seeking but just thought of sharing this.

The standard Naim cables although decent are not very good. You will likely find something which sounds better once you make the comparison.

Many thanks!

Nick

I once asked the same question on the official Naim forum. I was told in no uncertain terms that other cables were snake oil and basic Naim cables couldn't be bettered.

Within weeks Naim started selling expensive cables and suddenly the forum was full of people singing their praises!

Anyway I use Russ Andrews for my cables, including naim. They can make virtually any configuration, in addition to the few listed on their website. They do 3 levels of cable (copper, copper/silver, silver) and offer 60 day money back guarantee.

I ran the 282 with DTCap in preference to Naim HiCaps, I forget which way round the TP cables are, he made improvements at some point, I went from the thin white to shiny black or the other way round. I compared the stock Naim ones and kept with the TP.

I ran the 282 with DTCap in preference to Naim HiCaps, I forget which way round the TP cables are, he made improvements at some point, I went from the thin white to shiny black or the other way round. I compared the stock Naim ones and kept with the TP.
Is your Dual Teddycap the latest version with markings on the front and rear panel? My unit was the older model without any markings.

IMG-20210211-165121.jpg

My dual Teddycap, just recently sold. I believe it was the mk3.

Forgot to ask. Is the Naim Hicap the latest DR version?

Is your Dual Teddycap the latest version with markings on the front and rear panel? My unit was the older model without any markings.
It’s all gone now, I went all the way up the Naim classic series over a few years, had several Pardo PSUs including a non logo and Mk3 logo DTC, had loads of cables in the end. I “think” the shiny black replaced the white TP cables.

Ok thanks for the information. I'm seriously done with all the box swapping. I still keep the 282/250DR/HCDR although they are currently not in use.

Ok thanks for the information. I'm seriously done with all the box swapping. I still keep the 282/250DR/HCDR although they are currently not in use.
Doubt I’ll ever finish box swapping but will restrict it to the 2nd system and AV after I get the main system sorted prior to retirement in a few years.

I remember emailing Teddy and being told the early Mk1 PSUs had no serial number underneath and the latest ones had a logo too.

Thanks for the replies and useful comments guys.

My Dual TeddyCap is the older one (Mk3) with no logo on the front.

Currently thinking of starting off by upgrading the 4pin Din to 3pin XLR cable on the NAP250DR. As well as Chord Signature TA, I am also considering the Witch Hat Morgana equivalent cable, which is £450 (ie cheaper than the Chord one).

Has anyone tried the Witch Hat Morgana cables?

I've tried Chord Signature speakerwire with no success.
Same with Sign. interconnect, unfortunately not at the same time.

Guess its a good idea trying as a full loom to get some sort of synergy.

advertisement

Back