Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Achtung Spitfire!

Discussion in 'off topic' started by MikeMA, Sep 14, 2020.

1. 2ManyBoxes

2ManyBoxes pfm Member

Thank you, that was incredible :):):) I'd absolutely love to have been there.

It also shows that the Spitfire wasn't just beautiful, it flew like it looked in a way no other aircraft before or since has managed. Possibly the closest we'll ever come to a swift or a swallow.

2. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

Just watched the documentary. So much beautiful air to air footage. A Spitfire always looks good.

The programme didn't over romanticise the role played by Spitfires. It covered the major marks very well.

The NHS Thank You flight is due over our local hospital tomorrow morning. We will try to catch it as the hospital is only 10 mins walk away.

3. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

Really enjoyed watching that. As said above, beautifully shot and produced. Used to love building models of the Spitfire as a kid, stopping on the Griffin engined bubble canopy mark 20 something when my eyesight suddenly couldn’t cope with painting the fine details.

4. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

I was raised overlooking the RR airfield at Watnall.. where Hardy Kruger tried to pinch a Spit in 'The One That Got Away'

Someone flew a Spit over there until quite recently..

Like others.. I love the noise.

Tarzan likes this.
  5. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

"F--k me, f--k me" the top clip never gets boring:D, beautiful aircraft and also a beautiful noise as others have said.:)

6. twotone

twotone pfm Member

There's a spitfire flypast here today in Scotland, it's to thank the NHS so the spitfire is flying over all of the hospitals in Scotland, it's due here or near me at about 1.20pm when it flies over Hairmyres Hospital in East Kilbride.

7. Rick_F

Rick_F pfm Member

I see the Spitfire most days during the summer (saw it yesterday, but not heard it today) as it flies directly over where I work en route to Beachy Head. I love watching it as it passes over. The other week the pilot must have noticed me stopping and turning around to view it as I was walking back to work during lunch. He dipped the right wing about a foot or so and carried straight on. I like to think it was an hello :)

Sue Pertwee-Tyr and andrew d like this.
  8. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

It flew up the east coast leaving Cumberland at 10.00 passing over Dr Gray's in Elgin at 11.08 heading to Inverness to refuel. The scheduled departure from Inverness was 13.30. I think the plan changed because of poor weather yesterday.

I failed totally in my attempts to take a photo as it went over Elgin.

twotone likes this.
  9. twotone

twotone pfm Member

I missed it I was looking out for the flight but couldn't hear anything, one of my wife's workmates managed photos at the QE hospital in Govan, apparently the spitfire was tiny.