Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Achtung Spitfire!

Discussion in 'off topic' started by MikeMA, Sep 14, 2020.

1. thebigfredc

thebigfredc pfm Member

Yes but what variety of knots?

Indicated, Calibrated or True.

2. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK I had amnesia once or twice...

They still did it 40 years later.

Tarzan and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  3. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK I had amnesia once or twice...

Granny.

Mike Reed and eternumviti like this.
  4. Dougie2404

Dougie2404 cranky old git

Read the same thing in several books when I was a lad, your dad didn't tell fibs.

Beaten to it again.

5. k90tour

k90tour pfm Member

When I was training for my PPL it was 3000ft, unless we were with another pilot , in which case it was 2000ft. Stalls were included in such manoeuvres. Nothing to do with engines.
    All sorts of exemptions on application and approval from CAA.

6. k90tour

k90tour pfm Member

Most our restrictions were due to farmers ringing up and complaining. We were told where not to fly and where not to practice engine failure landings.

7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Forget me ?

Darren likes this.
  8. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

Sounds like club rules to me.

You practised stalls and forced landings solo as a student pilot? Was this UAS?

9. Debs

Debs pfm Member

UAS pilots do not carry out PFLs solo.

10. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

I know. That’s where I learned to fly.

Neither do PPLs as I recall.

11. Debs

Debs pfm Member

I was a UAS student on the Bulldog. A PFL High Key was 1000ft, Low Key was 500ft. CERTAINLY we never practised that solo.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  12. Debs

Debs pfm Member

As an ex RAF Pilot with 6500 hrs+, and 2000hrs+ as an A2 QFI, rest assured we supervised our students!

13. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

That was my assumption. Certainly the case in my day (83-84), though we did do solo aerobatics. I wondered if it might have changed, but thought it unlikely TBH.

I spent 20 years working in the flying training industry (not as an instructor, as I lost my medical) but I’m not aware of any civilian flying school that would let students (or even qualified PPLs) do practice forced landings while solo.

14. k90tour

k90tour pfm Member

What is UAS?

15. k90tour

k90tour pfm Member

Not sure about it being club rules. I do seem to remember it being written down in one of the books or the practice tests that we bought and used.
    One of my wife's work colleagues has just taken his flight test. She's keen for me to get back into it so we can do some trips.

16. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

University Air Squadron. A bit like OTC for non-cannon fodder.

17. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

Somebody else who's spent their childhood reading Battle & Commando mini books. :)

2ManyBoxes likes this.
  18. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

Thanks for the heads up - will definitely be watching this. The best looking and sounding aeroplane of all time IMO.

19. Chewie

Chewie New Member

20. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Ray Hanna was amazing in a Spitfire, and I reckon that was no more than 15 feet, let alone 80. 80 is for wusses.

Tarzan likes this.