advertisement

Accidental Dynavector HX1.2 mk2

A Densen B330+ power amp is the first in a long time to give my old longstanding DV HX1.2 mk1 real competition. Been changing them around on and off for 3 years ! Both fantastic PA's. Now thrown a recently serviced Chord 1200C into the mix.
DV pre amps not so good for me. Had an early L200 with remote. Thought it was dull as dishwater. My Nac 52 and Exposure 17/21 much more for me. The current new L200 will be much better presumably.

I found the early L200 disappointing as well - the newer version is a lot better as is the original L100 without remote

A Densen B330+ power amp is the first in a long time to give my old longstanding DV HX1.2 mk1 real competition. Been changing them around on and off for 3 years ! Both fantastic PA's.
Whilst my B-350s are not the plus version and your HX1.2 isn't a mk2, would you say they have similar house sound? If not, how would you describe the differences between DV and Densen?

They are certainly more similar than dissimilar. But I had a DM 10 not a pre/power. Nothing has those knobs.

They are certainly more similar than dissimilar. But I had a DM 10 not a pre/power. Nothing has those knobs.
That's useful to know. I sold the last knobby Densen (B200) of mine upon realising one can have too many preamplifiers in the house.

Whilst my B-350s are not the plus version and your HX1.2 isn't a mk2, would you say they have similar house sound? If not, how would you describe the differences between DV and Densen?

I think the HX1.2 sounds ever so slightly fuller and warmer than the B330+. My DV is about 20 years old but got a full service/update 10 or so years ago. B330+ is about 5 years old.
The b330 possibly has a bit more clarity , or gives that impression anyway. I think it has a slightly leaner,slightly cooler more precise sound. Has lots of power and a tremendous dynamic punch.It really does have an unusually dynamic kick/slam. The hx1.2 is no slouch here though. I think the DV may better the b330 with my WB Arcs , but prefer the B330+ with Neat 3i's , and Epos es 22's - I think.
I don't know if the + version is a big difference. Im surprised your B350 monos have been replaced. Never heard them but I thought they would have been a step up from what I've currently got. More comparable to DV HX100 level ?
Both my HX1.2mk1 and B330+ are staying with me for now. This wasn't the plan. Got the Densen to go head to head with the HX1.2 in a shootout. Both keepers at this moment in time.If I had to sell one I'd still be toiling to decide.
Before I got the B330+ I'd thought about the hx1.2 mk2 , but I do not like the colour of it at all. If they'd done it in 'all black' I'd probably have bought one yonks ago.

I think the HX1.2 sounds ever so slightly fuller and warmer than the B330+. My DV is about 20 years old but got a full service/update 10 or so years ago. B330+ is about 5 years old.
The b330 possibly has a bit more clarity , or gives that impression anyway. I think it has a slightly leaner,slightly cooler more precise sound. Has lots of power and a tremendous dynamic punch.It really does have an unusually dynamic kick/slam. The hx1.2 is no slouch here though. I think the DV may better the b330 with my WB Arcs , but prefer the B330+ with Neat 3i's , and Epos es 22's - I think.
I don't know if the + version is a big difference. Im surprised your B350 monos have been replaced. Never heard them but I thought they would have been a step up from what I've currently got. More comparable to DV HX100 level ?
Both my HX1.2mk1 and B330+ are staying with me for now. This wasn't the plan. Got the Densen to go head to head with the HX1.2 in a shootout. Both keepers at this moment in time.If I had to sell one I'd still be toiling to decide.
Before I got the B330+ I'd thought about the hx1.2 mk2 , but I do not like the colour of it at all. If they'd done it in 'all black' I'd probably have bought one yonks ago.
I still have the B350s. I need four channels of amplification to power my Ergo E-X semi-active loudspeakers. Right now, I have only the Densen (on bass duties) and the Pioneer M-22 on MF/HF. At only 30W per side, the latter might be a bit underpowered if I should turn up the wick. The DV should slot in nicely with the B350s when I put the E-Xs up again.

I really appreciate you taking the time to describe the differences between Densen and DV. I too find the B350s sound quite matter-of-fact and slightly lacking in warmth and organicity. I should be taking delivery of the HX1.2 tomorrow. Its styling and colour should match my P-75. I'll report back, probably after the weekend, on my findings.

James, have you ever considered designing/making really efficient speakers?
I have.

4028489-lg.jpg

My last attempt (E-VIIIs) was about 93dB/2.83V/m but imposed a difficult load at 4 ohms. I think anything around 90dB/2.83V/m should be fine with relatively cheap watts. I'd need to be a SET junkie to need anything over 95dB/2.83V/m, but I'm not keen on horn or reflex loading to get decent LF extension.

I too find the B350s sound quite matter-of-fact and slightly lacking in warmth and organicity. I should be taking delivery of the HX1.2 tomorrow. Its styling and colour should match my P-75. I'll report back, probably after the weekend, on my findings.

I've found that Mogami Quad core speaker cable can increase the subjective warmth and fullness of the B330+ presentation. Sort of mellows it a bit. This is when used instead of my normal Exposure ( single or bi) or Nac a5 cable.
Shouldn't many will say - but it does - for me.

I have.

4028489-lg.jpg

My last attempt (E-VIIIs) was about 93dB/2.83V/m but imposed a difficult load at 4 ohms. I think anything around 90dB/2.83V/m should be fine with relatively cheap watts. I'd need to be a SET junkie to need anything over 95dB/2.83V/m, but I'm not keen on horn or reflex loading to get decent LF extension.

They look fabulous.

They look fabulous.
Thanks, but that is a more flattering angle. They actually look quite dumpy.

4028437-lg.jpg

I've progressed the wide-baffle design with the E-X, which has gentler curves in all the right places ...

17868934-md.jpg

... but alas, it's not particularly high efficiency being an 88dB/2.83V/m design.

I got the HX1.2 home last night. I expected it to be heavier, given the shipping weight of 25kg, but it did not come with its wooden box. Maybe the latter accounted for half the shipping weight. Never mind.

From cold, it was quickly apparent it has plenty of grunt. Bass notes were effortless and seemingly deeper reaching. But I could not help noticing a bit of hardness or glare in the upper mid. It reminded me how my Naim system used to sound when powered up from cold, quite unlike the Pioneer, which sounds natural and very even handed even when stone cold.

By the time I finished the second CD, it was starting to sound more organic, if not quite as natural as the Pioneer. I left it powered up when I went to bed and will have another listen tonight when I'm home. Hopefully by the weekend, it'll have settled down for a proper side-by-side comparison with the Pioneer and maybe the Densen.

Yes that's pretty much how the one I owned sounded. Somewhat hard and dry in the mids but very open with great control, especially in the bass.

A Pioneer C-21, Alex.

10470338-lg.jpg

I don't mind dry, but if the hardness goes I'll be a happy chap. On listening tonight, there is quite a propulsive drive happening. I can see why it's a credible alternative to Naim, if that's important.

It is also possible I'm listening at a somewhat higher level that my ears might be perceiving as an assault on sensibleness. For now, I find music played through the DV entertaining if sounding a little contrived still.

How would you describe the sonic signature of the Pioneer (I'm sure you have already but to repeat)?

Quite neutral actually. It certainly does not compromise the matching M-22, but I guess they were made for each other. I could bring out the Densen B-250 to see that is a better partner.

My guess it would probably be a worse one - I had success using a tube preamp with the HX1.2, or the DVL100 - couldn't afford an L300.

I suspect so too. I've always hankered after a valve preamp, and will look out for a reasonably priced ARC LS26/27 or an earlier SP9/10.

How does one keep the HX switched on 24/7 and power the valve pre on/off as needed, without potential damage? Have I been conditioned to the Naim switch on/off sequence for too long?

advertisement

Back