advertisement

Accidental Dynavector HX1.2 mk2

James

Lord of the Erg\o/s
I've always felt that 30W per channel was never quite enough in my situation, never mind that those are very good Watts indeed. Essentially, they aren't enough to drive my little E-IXs (83-ish dB/2.83V/m) and just adequate for the E-IIIR (87-ish dB/2.83V/m). So I have been on the look out for more very good Watts, preferably of the class A variety.

I never really considered the DV, but have always heard very positive comments about the HX1.2, particular from those with experience of Naim. I moved on from a 52/135 set up about 10 years ago because I felt the 135s couldn't drive my E-V loudspeakers properly. They were replaced by Densen 250/350s, which could. For a long time, I was perfectly happy.

Until I stumbled upon my vintage Pioneer C-21/M-22. To cut a long story short, I don't use the Densen amps much any more. The Japanese combo is really that much better, if you can live with its power limits. I mostly can with the E-IIIRs.

Even if the DV is made locally in NZ, they very rarely come up for resale. My intrigue about this amplifier got the better of me. The price wasn't bad either, considering how much they sell for in the UK. But before I get too excited to hear what 180W can do that 30W cannot, can any past or present owner tell me what to expect?

Are they reliable? Will it need a service first? In the audio signature stakes, are they more like Naim, Accuphase, Audio Research, Krell, Plinius or my near perfect Pioneer C-21/M-22?

Did I make a mistake buying an HX1.2 because it ain't class A?

Best amp I've owned and I've owned a few. Be interested what you think, James.

The HX1.2 mk 2 is a little dry sounding but provides excellent grip, tone and timbre whilst never sounding dull.

Best amp I've owned and I've owned a few. Be interested what you think, James.
I know you're a man of fine tastes, Alex, so that's very reassuring for me. It'll take me a few weeks to do a proper assessment. If it is indeed very good, the Densen combo might finally be put up for sale, and I'll have to hunt for a matching L-300/P-300.

The HX1.2 mk 2 is a little dry sounding but provides excellent grip, tone and timbre whilst never sounding dull.
I've never quite understood what 'dry sounding' actually means. Could you please elaborate?

Dry is the best adjective I can use for it and it's obviously subjective. Dry as in the way solid state sounds compared to valves. My HX100 is presently with JohnBurns being updated so I've been using my second system which is a Densen B130 integrated amp driving a pair of Larcs. The Densen hasn't got the DV bass grip, control over complex musical passages or is as open but it has a nice warmth in the midrange which even the HX100 hasn't quite got. For example I played the excellent Andy Palacio Watina album yesterday and it was actually a nicer listen through the Densen. The 'Dry' character was far more noticeable with the HX1.2 mk2 to the extent that the one I bought second hand was sold within a few months. The HX100 is excellent and will replace the Densen when it returns for sure but I personally would probably rather listen to one of the bigger Densen power amps than the 1.2. You will come to your own conclusions of course James.

Currently saving up for an HX100, I'm using an early HX75 which is by a distance the sweetest amp I have ever owned.

There you go! All subjective. The HX100 is a lot better than an HX75 so you won't be disappointed.

I had an HX100 on loan for a while so I know it's abilities. It was a pretty dramatic listen, although not then as sweet as the 75. It was very new however. The nice thing is, I could happily live with a 75 for ever, and given the apparent scarcity of 100's, I may just do that!! (Btw, I found the 75 sweeter than the 1.2, although clearly a bit softer)

The HX1.2 is a little dry, or 'clean' if you like. I remember taking mine to Kevin Scott to try on Living Voice speakers. He was expecting a Naim-like amount of noise and hash but it sounded like an SS version of the uber-expensive Kondos. In the end, I sold it because I didn't need the watts, and if you don't need watts you can get a very capable amp for £100.

Of the gruntier SS amps I've had: Crimson, Naim, Densen, the HX1.2 tops them. I had the Mk1 and the Mk2 - not much in it to be honest. What I can't offer is any comparison between 75/1.2/100. As an added bonus, the UK distributor, John Burns is a nice man to deal with.

... I personally would probably rather listen to one of the bigger Densen power amps than the 1.2. You will come to your own conclusions of course James.
Thanks for taking the time to explain what you meant by dryness. I have a pair of Densen B-350s, which I find dry compared with the class A Pioneer. I will find out soon enough where the HX-1.2 fits on the wet/dry scale.

I had the HX1.2 - both Mk 1 and Mk 2 variants and used them with almost every single DV pre-amp except for the latest L300. Its a great combination with my Shahinian Obelisks - extremely dynamic and musical without being harsh. Great balance between power and finesse.
I could (and maybe should!) have lived with that easily but ended up moving on to experiment with integrateds and hybrid amps.

As for pre-amps, the L300 is ridiculously expensive and while I've never tried it, I found the original L100 and the latest L200 to be great with the HX1.2 - for very reasonable prices in the used market

The L300 is definitely worth it , especially if you can find a used one. I find it hard to believe there can be a better preamp anywhere, and the p300 phono stage is awesome

I must say I absolutely hated HX1.2/L300 when used with Shahinian Obs1 - to the extent that I sent the amps back to Pear Audio to be checked for faults. They turned out to be perfectly healthy, just not to my taste.

My point was that the HX1.2 is too dry for my palette. The L300/P300 is excellent agreed deserter. The 'Naimees' will 'shout you down' for the best around statement. All subjective for sure. The latest L200 is also very good but without the top notch phono stage. At 3k second hand an L300/P300 is great value and worth the extra IMO also.

It's a long time since I heard any modern Naim stuff so I can't really comment on what it's like, although I loved their early stuff. Shortly after the L300 first came out I heard it at a dealer in direct comparison with whatever was then the top Naim pre amp (52 I think or possibly whatever came next) and it really wasn't a contest . The L200 is lovely but the 300 is a big step up, as it should be for the money

A Densen B330+ power amp is the first in a long time to give my old longstanding DV HX1.2 mk1 real competition. Been changing them around on and off for 3 years ! Both fantastic PA's. Now thrown a recently serviced Chord 1200C into the mix.
DV pre amps not so good for me. Had an early L200 with remote. Thought it was dull as dishwater. My Nac 52 and Exposure 17/21 much more for me. The current new L200 will be much better presumably.

advertisement

Back