advertisement

A vintage Quad thread.

Currently running exactly the same set up as Martyn, Amplabs serviced 34/306 into Stirling V3s. Also very happy with the sq.

Picking up my freshly serviced 303 off Amplabs on Friday so will swap that in over the weekend & see how it compares.

Probably going to be on the lookout for a nice 33 in the coming weeks, will have to sell the 99pre first though, funds a little tight at the moment.

TS

The 33 is usually cheap. But it must be mint, otherwise the experience is ruined. It took me months to find a truly mint one, with a factory new wooden case!

I got it from Emporium Hi-fi for a hundred quid in 2016.
They have a nice 34 for £ 120 at the moment.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but it looks like Phil Lynott was a fan. That's good enough for me.
image0.jpg

Cool system. Tannoy 3LZ Monitor Golds, Teac 3340 4 track. Would have been 1976 or later based on the prominently displayed Patrick Moraz album. Shame we can’t see the turntable. I’d suspect a TD-160 or TD-125 with a 3009 would be lurking just out of shot.

Been meaning to post my thoughts on the 306 v 303 since I swapped it in a few weeks ago, been difficult to drag me away but here goes.

Initial impression was that it was a little bass light compared to the 306 but it still had that lovely liquid midrange that I remember from my previous 303. Either the amp and/or my ears have opened up since then but the bass has improved to the point I no longer feel I'm missing anything.

A couple of weeks ago I swapped the Stirling V3s for my Spendor 11ohm LS3/5As. I don't know what amps the BBC used to voice the LS3/5As but it wouldn't surprise me to find out it was the 303, they sound like they were made for each other.

Keep meaning to swap the 306 back in just to confirm my impressions but I've been enjoying the Spendor/303 combo too much to be bothered to swap it back in.

TS

One thing well worth noting for folk planning to do this update with a 1960s MkI Quad 303 like mine is that Quad flipped the driver-board input lead (the grey lead running to the front of the boards) in the later board design which the Dada boards copy, so despite my having photographs to work from I managed to get the signal and ground reversed resulting in an absolutely horrendous buzz (they are wrong in the picture above!).
@Tony L

I am hoping you can clarify the proper connection of the wires in the grey leads for a later (SN > 16000) amp. In your picture in this post it looks like the “bare“ wires within the grey outer sheath connect to the posts closest to the amp. Is that correct? And if I understand correctly, that orientation is backwards for the earlier amps but correct for the later amps. So for my amp, the red and white sheathed wires (within the grey outer sheath) would be further from the amp and the unsheathed wires within the grey outer sheath would be closer. Do I have that right?

Your picture searching skills are far better than mine because I never seem to find good pictures.

Thanks!

I am hoping you can clarify the proper connection of the wires in the grey leads for a later (SN > 16000) amp. In your picture in this post it looks like the “bare“ wires within the grey outer sheath connect to the posts closest to the amp. Is that correct? And if I understand correctly, that orientation is backwards for the earlier amps but correct for the later amps. So for my amp, the red and white sheathed wires (within the grey outer sheath) would be further from the amp and the unsheathed wires within the grey outer sheath would be closer. Do I have that right?

I can’t remember short of taking my amp apart again. I state I have the input wires incorrect in the picture upthread, so that would imply correct is screen to the front from the perspective of my picture. The Dada boards are versions/copies of the later board revision, i.e. based on the >11500 Quad boards which you imply you have, so you want the reverse of my picture which was taken when I had it wrong.

It does, even now. The bog-standard, ie unmodified but restored 303 sounds great if it likes the speakers it drives.
Of course, it loves the ESL, a match obviously made in heaven ❤️

From a big fan, to a possibly familiar chorale tune:

How thankful were for Quad, for instruments and voices
It wondrous things hath done, in which sound world rejoices
From Walkers earliest steps that sent Quad on its way
With innovative gear that still sounds good today

O may this bounteous Quad through all our lives be near us,
With ever joyful sounds that never cease to cheer us;
And keeps us from the craze to upgrade when perplexed;
And frees us from the ill about what to buy next!

All praise and thanks to Quad, which gives musical heaven
Quad II, three-three, four-four, 303, fifty seven,
Although we find it sad that Huntingdons no more;
The Real Thing soldiers on, and shall for evermore.
12 years later, the reply I would have made had I read that post sooner:

Nun danket alle Quad.

A question. I run a pair of 15" Tannoy hpd's from a lyngdorf tdai-1120 as my small square room needs room correction.
I'd like to try using the amp as a pre, thus keeping the room perfect and adding a different power amp (as cheaply as possible, and something that can be sold on if it doesn't work for me)
I did have for a short period a Quad 405 (in a different room with my 12" Tannoy's) and really liked the sound so am wondering if a 303 might be worth trying or should I try another 405?
I may be tempted to try a 33 (or something?) as well just to see how it goes and as they are often sold together.
Any suggestions?

advertisement

Back