advertisement

A vintage Quad thread.

I did have for a short period a Quad 405 (in a different room with my 12" Tannoy's) and really liked the sound so am wondering if a 303 might be worth trying or should I try another 405?
It of course depends on the speakers, but I chose the 405-2 over the 303 for my collection of small monitors....and I like the 303.

I own and have tried Amplabs serviced 303, 306, and 405-2 amps via a '44 preamp (Amplabs serviced) with my SL6S speakers and preferred the 405-2.
I later (last year) purchased a 606-2 but it only lasted 3 days before apparently causing problems to both my '44 preamps (Amplabs serviced}.
I therefore delivered it to Quad for a service / rebuild, and both '44's went back to Amplabs.
However, since the 606-2 was returned, I haven't had the courage to substitute it for the 405-2, especially when everything is sounding just 'right'.
Regards
Mike K.

Last edited:
I own and have tried Amplabs serviced 303, 306, and 405-2 amps via a '44 preamp (Amplabs serviced) with my SL6S speakers and preferred the 405-2.
I later (last year) purchased a 606-2 but it only lasted 3 days before apparently causing problems to both my '44 preamps (Amplabs serviced}.
I therefore delivered it to Quad for a service / rebuild, and both '44's went went back to Amplabs.
However, since the 606-2 was returned, I haven't had the courage to substitute it for the 405-2, especially when everything is sounding just 'right'.
Regards
Mike K.
I've just been looking at his website and have sent him a message....

I prefer the sound of the 303 on the ESLs.
I tried a bunch of Quad solid state amps (306, QSP, 303, 520) with my ESLs. They sounded remarkably similar, but the 520 edged it by a margin. Had to be careful witht the volume, though.

My least favourite is the 405 - care has to be exercised when combining low impedance and high volume and it sounds the most rolled off, at both ends, compared to all the others which sound remarkably similar.

My favourite is a freshly serviced 606. All the solid state amp most people will ever need, enormous amounts of power and. Lacking in a little bass heft and mid range presence compared to, say, a big class A amp or a Leak Stereo 20, but I suspect it's not alone in that.

I agree, the 405 (tried again) is a bit rolled-off with the old ESLs. The 303 is much better balanced, sounding much like my valve amp (EL34 PP), which I built 40 years ago 😳
I tried the TL71 instead of LM301, no difference whatsoever.

My favourite is a freshly serviced 606. All the solid state amp most people will ever need, enormous amounts of power and. Lacking in a little bass heft and mid range presence compared to, say, a big class A amp or a Leak Stereo 20, but I suspect it's not alone in that.

My favourite solid state amp has also been the Quad 606, one I kept going back to time and time again. Last year I went for a Quad Artera power amp, which is basically the latest iteration of the 606/707/909 circuit. Fortunately it kept everything I love about the 606 (crucially, that beautiful almost valve-like midrange) but added the bass heft I felt the 606 lacked. Must fess up and admit I put off for a long while by the Made in China aspects of it, but it's proved to be a really solid and enjoyable purchase.

advertisement

Back