advertisement

A thread to recommend stuff on the BBC

I think Detectorists is one of the best comedies the BBC has produced for a while. It's very gentle and has some rather lovely shots of the English countryside + a folky soundtrack. It's a real hidden gem and I'm looking forward to the last episode of series 3 this week.

Series 3? I thought that wasn't being broadcast until late this year. Is it on iplayer?

Mick

The Pacemakers
A group of highly competitive and ambitious athletes, all over the age of 90, compete for gold in the Olympics of OAP sport.

Quacks: A Victorian medical comedy.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/quacks
Full series available on i-player.
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...al-comedy-will-have-you-stitches-rory-kinnear

The Telegraph review was a bit harsh: "Sitcoms set in the past – even the deliciously OTT Blackadder – often struggle to rise above undergraduate level, and such was the case here."
That's precisely why I like it...

I've watched the first couple of episodes and found it quite funny. A decent cast.

Re Quacks...picked this out of the Guardian comments section:
"Robert Lessing seems to be based on Robert Liston, a famous Scottish surgeon in the mid 19th century and first Professor of Surgery at UCL. He also bragged about his speed - allegedly amputating a leg in 2.5 minutes. Remember no anaesthetic in those days. His two most famous cases (worth the read - trust me):

1. Argument with his house-surgeon. Was the red, pulsating tumour in a small boy's neck a straightforward abscess of the skin, or a dangerous aneurism of the carotid artery? 'Pooh!' Liston exclaimed impatiently. 'Whoever heard of an aneurism in one so young?' Flashing a knife from his waistcoat pocket, he lanced it. Houseman's note – 'Out leaped arterial blood, and the boy fell.' The patient died but the artery lives, in University College Hospital pathology museum, specimen No. 1256.

2. Amputated the leg in under 2  1⁄2 minutes (the patient died afterwards in the ward from hospital gangrene; they usually did in those pre-Listerian days). He amputated in addition the fingers of his young assistant (who died afterwards in the ward from hospital gangrene). He also slashed through the coat tails of a distinguished surgical spectator, who was so terrified that the knife had pierced his vitals he dropped dead from fright.

That was the only operation in history with a 300 percent mortality."

We've watched the whole series now and every episode has a laugh out loud moment. Hope they do another series.

Watched it with the kids...really good...the helicopter stuff was amazing: "I have control",
followed by massive swerve..."Youhavecontrol!". :D

Exactly, I was frankly amazed they were allowed to take control without months of training
- the pilots control of the helicopter was inspiring 'The Right Stuff' for sure.
I think the female RAF pilot will go far, but time will tell.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b016dr0x/tales-from-the-national-parks-1-the-lake-district

The National Parks are Britain's most treasured landscapes, but they are increasingly becoming battlefields. They were designated 60 years ago as places for everyone, but is that still the case? In this series the award-winning film-maker Richard Macer spent a year amid conflicts in three different parks, on a journey to discover who they are really for.
In each park the stories are very different, but there is something that unites them all - fiercely divided communities who are prepared to fight in order to preserve their right to enjoy the countryside. In each film, Macer has secured access to the National Park Authority - an organisation which looks after the landscapes and decides upon planning matters. In all of these stories the Park Authorities have a key role to play in trying to find amicable solutions to the problems which confront them.
In the Lake District, entrepreneur Mark Weir wants to build a giant zip-wire ride from the top of a beautiful, remote mountain. But does it have any chance of getting permission when there are over 400 objectors to it? Unfortunately a tragic accident during filming means that Mark will never see if his zip-wire becomes a reality.

Performance Live, Get a Round:

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b093srmk

Get a Round is based on the hit Edinburgh Fringe show of the same name, made by the Manchester-based trio Eggs Collective, who make sharp, fun, culturally observational performances that fall somewhere in the cracks between theatre and cabaret. This is an all-singing, all-dancing performance with a bit of slapstick thrown in for good measure. They explore feminism and connection through the way they see the world and what they find funny. They write, perform and produce all of their own work. They are Sara Cocker, Lowri Evans and Leonie Higgins.
The show is an exploration of politics under the guise of a girls' night out. In the face of continuing bad news and an increasingly divided and unequal Britain, this show asks how we can get through such confusion and look after each other in times of difficulty. It has been specially adapted for television as part of the Performance Live Strand. Through exploring the middle ground between live performance and television, this strand of programmes challenges audience perceptions around what live performance can be.

Quacks: A Victorian medical comedy.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/quacks
Full series available on i-player.
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...al-comedy-will-have-you-stitches-rory-kinnear

The Telegraph review was a bit harsh: "Sitcoms set in the past – even the deliciously OTT Blackadder – often struggle to rise above undergraduate level, and such was the case here."
That's precisely why I like it...
I'm really enjoying this series. The characters are so good & the actors up to the mark. Silly but fun!

Theresa May is the lunchtime guest on Test Match Special (BBC Radio 4 LW) today (Friday 8th.) Personally I'm surprised she agreed to face Henry Blofeld's notoriously uncompromising style of questioning. Expect information on the Divorce Settlement, Transition Period and Repeal Bill to be unwillingly forced from her.

Theresa May is the lunchtime guest on Test Match Special (BBC Radio 4 LW) today (Friday 8th.) Personally I'm surprised she agreed to face Henry Blofeld's notoriously uncompromising style of questioning. Expect information on the Divorce Settlement, Transition Period and Repeal Bill to be unwillingly forced from her.

It's proving even more inspiring than I had imagined...

Prime Minister May's on why she admires Geoffrey Boycott: "The fact that he stuck in there and got on with the job, that was the great thing. The whole point was he stuck at it, he had a plan and got on with it. More often than not he succeeded."

I admit I took this from the BBC website - I can't listen, the emotion would be too much...

Series 3 episode 1 BBC2 Monday 18 Sept 10:00 pm. You just know it's all true. Essential viewing.

Been watching ‘The Brain’ with David Eagleman on the iPlayer. Fantastic to have such a brilliant teacher in your living room and a truly mind blowing series.

advertisement

Back